Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,468,735 times

Advertisements

"Respect" has several meanings. It's true it wouldn't make much sense to admire or hold in great esteem religion/theism if you are an atheist. However respect can also mean "to show regard or consideration for" or "to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with." One certainly can try to show consideration and maybe even non-intrusion to things they deem "delusions." Whether those are "Vishnu is real" or "Someday I'll win the lottery."

Respect | Define Respect at Dictionary.com

Although there's also the matter that sometimes when you care about a person you try to show respect for what they care about. If one thinks psychoanalysis is bunk, and I largely do, you might be respectful about it to a friend who is a psychoanalyst. If you think the Royal Wedding was stupid you still might try to respect it for the sake of a loved one who was really into it.

But I'm just a theistic Catholic so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,317,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

Does anyone else get frustrated by this fact?

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!
The funny thing is, I understand and accept science. I know what science can explain and cannot. But, I accept that there are things out there that we may seem to understand through science, but we only understand the physical aspects of it through science. Without physical properties science cannot work.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM

705 posts, read 1,106,214 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!
Well, the religious bunch think their beliefs, as well as churches, are sacrosanct. I've also asked this same question, and have come to the conclusion that most delusionals think the vast majority of people believe like they do. Then tney are shocked when they discover that someone actually practices free-thinking and the same time is intelligent enough to not be taken in by all the religious nonsense. If the opportunity presents itself I tell them what I think, respectflly, but I dont hold back. If they think I'm being disrespectful, so be it. Most delusionals accept disagreement with thier beliefs as disrespect.

I wich I had a nickel for every time I've has this discussion with a delusional and I was told "you're sooooo gonna burn in hell" by them.

I don't wear my atheism on my sleeve and I don't advertise it. But if a delusional is going to advertise and outwardly display thier delusional beliefs through their converations or clothing accessories, then I wold agree with the OP, and such a person sholdn't be surprised or get offended if someone calls them out on their beliefs.

Here's an analogy, someone in a sports bar is wearing sports attire representing the currently worst performing team in a particular sport. Do you think NO ONE at a sports bar is gonna say something, c'mon.

Conversely, when I wear one of my many Ted Nugent shirts I get a lot of folks that will strike up a conversation about him or music.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,310,798 times
Quote:

Ticks me off i tell ya!
I agree, everybody I know or meet I expect them to think exactly like I do.

They have to live in my neighborhood in same house as mine.
Drive the same kind of car
have the same brand of appliances and furniture
eat at the same restaurants
root for the same sports teams
vote just as I do, (I have to trust them on that one)
hate the same people I do

If people can't think just as I do, I have no use for them because I am an expert on everything and I only do everything with perfection.
DT

Old 05-04-2011, 12:56 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,461,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Well, the religious bunch think their beliefs, as well as churches, are sacrosanct. I've also asked this same question, and have come to the conclusion that most delusionals think the vast majority of people believe like they do. Then tney are shocked when they discover that someone actually practices free-thinking and the same time is intelligent enough to not be taken in by all the religious nonsense. If the opportunity presents itself I tell them what I think, respectflly, but I dont hold back. If they think I'm being disrespectful, so be it. Most delusionals accept disagreement with thier beliefs as disrespect.

I wich I had a nickel for every time I've has this discussion with a delusional and I was told "you're sooooo gonna burn in hell" by them.

I don't wear my atheism on my sleeve and I don't advertise it. But if a delusional is going to advertise and outwardly display thier delusional beliefs through their converations or clothing accessories, then I wold agree with the OP, and such a person sholdn't be surprised or get offended if someone calls them out on their beliefs.

Here's an analogy, someone in a sports bar is wearing sports attire representing the currently worst performing team in a particular sport. Do you think NO ONE at a sports bar is gonna say something, c'mon.

Conversely, when I wear one of my many Ted Nugent shirts I get a lot of folks that will strike up a conversation about him or music.
We can challenge others beliefs. In fact, that's what discussion forums are for.

What we shouldn't do, though, is attack the person who holds those beliefs. We don't have to agree with them, but we do have to accept them as they are. In other words, respect them and their right to hold a different opinion. On such respect is built every day social intercourse. We should not revile them, disparage them, call them names, make fun of them or otherwise personalize the debate. When that happens, something else is at play besides intelligent discourse.

In the example you offered, when a Green Bay Packers fan wears his jersey into a bar frequented by fans of Da Bears, he may very well be subject to something. But, that won't make it right. Just because an opportunity to be rude and offensive presents itself, that does not give any of us leave to act upon it. That's immature behavior.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
We can challenge others beliefs. In fact, that's what discussion forums are for.

What we shouldn't do, though, is attack the person who holds those beliefs. We don't have to agree with them, but we do have to accept them as they are. In other words, respect them and their right to hold a different opinion. On such respect is built every day social intercourse. We should not revile them, disparage them, call them names, make fun of them or otherwise personalize the debate. When that happens, something else is at play besides intelligent discourse.

In the example you offered, when a Green Bay Packers fan wears his jersey into a bar frequented by fans of Da Bears, he may very well be subject to something. But, that won't make it right. Just because an opportunity to be rude and offensive presents itself, that does not give any of us leave to act upon it. That's immature behavior.
I'm not saying it's right, or appropriate or even justified to remark on the team shirt. My point is, people are going to act like people, some are cordial, some are congenial, some are rude and some are downright offensive. But it's like I used to tell my kids, if you ask a question that has a yes as well as a no for a possible and a probable answer, why get upset when either answer is presented.

I am ceratinly not going to taunt the metaphorical rattlesnake only to complain when I get bit.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,461,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I'm not saying it's right, or appropriate or even justified to remark on the team shirt. My point is, people are going to act like people, some are cordial, some are congenial, some are rude and some are downright offensive. But it's like I used to tell my kids, if you ask a question that has a yes as well as a no for a possible and a probable answer, why get upset when either answer is presented.

I am ceratinly not going to taunt the metaphorical rattlesnake only to complain when I get bit.
I like that about the rattlesnake! If you don't mind, I may use it myself!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I like that about the rattlesnake! If you don't mind, I may use it myself!
Have at it, we use it often in Law Enforcement.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,699,964 times
Quote:

I understand what you are saying. I think this medium can make it difficult to articulate your thoughts and have them come across in a congenial manner sometimes. I know my posts can appear harsh when I'm really not intending to. The written word lacks the subtleties and nuances of the face to face conversations.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
The way I see it, if all we do is disrespect and insult those who have beliefs that are, admittedly, open to ridicule, we will never get a fair hearing for our own ways of thinking. It probably isn't going to happen anyway, but disrespect and insult insures it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism