Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Get a clue. Atheism isn't a belief and your last statement doesn't make any sense.
Since atheism cannot prove that God DOESN'T exist, it requires faith, therefore it's a belief, not a scientific fact. It's a religion as much as Christianity is. You worship human reason every bit as much as I worship the Almighty God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I would find such willful ignorance rather humorous, if not for the fact that the majority of the people in our society are afflicted with such levels of stupidity based solely on a single book of ancient superstitions, and so poorly written that even those that believe it cannot even come close to agreement as to what it says.

Two things are infinite, as far as we know - the universe and human stupidity. ~Albert Einstein

Since you are obviously of super-human intellect, please prove that there is no God. You'd make a fortune.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

Does anyone else get frustrated by this fact?

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!
Give none and expect none..

Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well, there are many who share that view . However, if you wished to understand our rationale we would be only too glad to explain and show that it is belief in a God - created and intelligently designed universe which is actually not a logical or rational position and agnostic atheism is in fact the rational position.

Assuming that you accept the general meaning and rules of logical rationality. Not every theist does, apparently.
Not everyone bows to supposition that everything has to be proven by human reason to be real. What I find fascinatinating is that atheists totally dismiss the soul and the heart in their discussions. Love does not follow human reason -- it transcends it. And God is Love, according to the Bible. Maybe atheists can't understand God, because it dismisses the very human needs of the heart and the soul. Which makes for a very incomplete person. Why are atheists afraid to touch on those points? Because love, hope, trust, mercy, compassion can't be reduced to meer logic and mathematics. Logic and reason is comfortable, easy, convenient. You don't have to deal with messy emotions and longings of the soul.

Atheists don't believe in God because they don't want to. Pure and simple.

Last edited by kiggy; 08-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Since you are obviously of super-human intellect, please prove that there is no God. You'd make a fortune.
Unlike the pimps that prostitute god (preachers, etc.) I'm not in it for the money.

There are three professions that make their living with their mouth;
  • preachers
  • politicians
  • prostitutes
Proof? Open your eyes and pay attention.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Since atheism cannot prove that God DOESN'T exist, it requires faith, therefore it's a belief, not a scientific fact. It's a religion as much as Christianity is. You worship human reason every bit as much as I worship the Almighty God.
Non belief is a religion? Get real...That would define a religion as everything you or I do not believe...I respect people that use logic and reason a lot more than I do those that just speak without thinking, or form their views blindly from some "holy book", but I certainly do not worship it.
Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 08-09-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
Atheists don't universally believe that there is no god. The majority would say it's possible there is one, but it simply isn't proven. Therefore there is nothing for us to prove.

Quote:
Not everyone bows to supposition that everything has to be proven by human reason to be real. What I find fascinatinating is that atheists totally dismiss the soul and the heart in their discussions. Love does not follow human reason -- it transcends it. And God is Love, according to the Bible. Maybe atheists can't understand God, because it dismisses the very human needs of the heart and the soul. Which makes for a very incomplete person. Why are atheists afraid to touch on those points? Because love, hope, trust, mercy, compassion can't be reduced to meer logic and mathematics. Logic and reason is comfortable, easy, convenient. You don't have to deal with messy emotions and longings of the soul.

Atheists don't believe in God because they don't want to. Pure and simple.
Actually, love, hope, trust, mercy, and compassion are all pretty much necessary for social animals. It baffles me that people think humans are unique in this regard yet disregard the fact that you don't see wolves or ants arbitrarily killing others in their own packs or colonies. There's nothing magical about it; if a species is going to live socially, these are basic things they need to evolve. It is simple logic.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavInBend View Post
You have no proof Vishnu doesn't exist.
You have no proof Buddha doesn't exist.
You have no proof Muhammed wasn't a true prophet.
You have no proof L. Ron Hubbard wasn't right.
You have no proof Joseph Smith wasn't dead-on with his magic gold tablets.
You have no proof there is no Zeus, Apollo, Triton, Cinderella or Snow White.

By your standard, all belief is acceptable, and ought to receive equal respect under the banner of law, religion and policy.

No, atheism cannot "prove" God doesn't exist, but then again, that's not really a goal. Atheism just is, because the concept of God is as silly as a Disney character.
In your opinion it is. Belief is a choice, whether it's in God or human reason. If you truly believe that human reason is all encompassing, by all means, worship it.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM

[quote=kenshi;20380956]Atheists don't universally believe that there is no god. The majority would say it's possible there is one, but it simply isn't proven. Therefore there is nothing for us to prove.

ALL atheists don't believe in a God; what you're describing is an agnostic.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Unlike the pimps that prostitute god (preachers, etc.) I'm not in it for the money.

There are three professions that make their living with their mouth;
  • preachers
  • politicians
  • prostitutes
Proof? Open your eyes and pay attention.
Since you're the one claiming superior intellect, and Christians are idiots for believing in God, prove there is no God. Should be simple for someone as advanced as you are. "Open your eyes and pay attention" doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism