Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 AM

38 posts, read 48,439 times

Advertisements

So, I leave this thread after a few months, and surprise, surprise. Nothing has come to represent even a fraction of maturity or intelligence on either sides.

Maybe, and I mean just, maybe, some people believe or don't believe in different things and we should let things go. Especially on the internet.

-mind blown-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weird Girl View Post
So, I leave this thread after a few months, and surprise, surprise. Nothing has come to represent even a fraction of maturity or intelligence on either sides.

Maybe, and I mean just, maybe, some people believe or don't believe in different things and we should let things go. Especially on the internet.

-mind blown-

That is sort of a negative view to take. If you only want to look at the screaming and stupidity, then that is all you see.

I have only glanced at this thread and seen some really solid and respectful posts from both sides. I even contributed one of my own.

It seems to me that you started this thread expecting the worse, and now you choose to only focus on that.

Pre-concieved notions and self-fufilling prophecies. -mind blown-

Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 PM

38 posts, read 48,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
That is sort of a negative view to take. If you only want to look at the screaming and stupidity, then that is all you see.

I have only glanced at this thread and seen some really solid and respectful posts from both sides. I even contributed one of my own.

It seems to me that you started this thread expecting the worse, and now you choose to only focus on that.

I'm sorry if I'm so negative and not knitting pictures of kittens and puppies on samplers, but after years of trying to be nice to both atheists and theists and having it blow up in my face has made me a cynic. It's not the beliefs it's the PEOPLE behind them. Problem solved.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
So, I leave this thread after a few months, and surprise, surprise.
Thanks for bumping it.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:17 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

Does anyone else get frustrated by this fact?

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!
depends on your definition of 'respect.'

an aggravation I've seen a lot of in recent years is many do not want the basic respect of "what you believe is o.k. for you," but instead demand to hear their point of view is both equally valid and right, no matter how ridiculous or negative it is. & does not only cover the subject of religion or lack thereof.

in contrast, where I'm at on the subject is what other people believe is really none of my business, & not my place to say what someone else believes is "wrong" or any other negative slams.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:56 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
It's really quite simple. I do not 'respect' willful stupidity, never have, never will............

Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM

118 posts, read 111,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

I actually can see her point... the original post was on acceptance, but yet look what has creeped into this discussion... evolution, DIVORCE RATES, etc... I mean... Give me a break... It looks like we gathered the world's worst ADD people and threw them in a thread.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I'm so negative and not knitting pictures of kittens and puppies on samplers, but after years of trying to be nice to both atheists and theists and having it blow up in my face has made me a cynic. It's not the beliefs it's the PEOPLE behind them. Problem solved.
Well, you have to make your own decisions. Personally I found a lot of very mature and thoughtful and intelligent people here and likeable too, even if I disagreed with them.

I've learned a hell of a lot too and I think perhaps you could have related and maybe trying to be nice to everyone is not the sound answer and making a sound stance choice might actually go down better. Still, as I say, your decision.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

Does anyone else get frustrated by this fact?

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!

Would you get ticked off at how ridiculous your spelling is, as I might lose respect for your misspellings.

Sorry to have ridiculed you.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's really quite simple. I do not 'respect' willful stupidity, never have, never will............
Exactly. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and ridiculous claims deserve ridicule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism