Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What is atheistic about rocks/dirt/hydrogen, gas/planets, materialism etc?

You are another of many that can't seem to get the meaning of atheism to penetrate your skull. I am an atheist, and the only thing I have in common with all other atheists is that I do not believe in gods...Is that too complicated for you?

Abstract thinking, love, empathy, compassion , reasoning, etc. is something humanity shares, and it didn't come from theism. As a matter of fact theism suppresses reason and logic and that handicaps the kind of thinking you are talking about, particularly reason...Logic and reason are the enemy of the religious.
If you as an atheist dont want God to exist, then you are still left with offering a worldview that is compatible with your atheistic (secular humanist) faith ... and the only other alternative to not wanting a personal intelligent theistic Creator is a worldview based on Naturalism and Materialism. So, tell us the reason and logic behind our personality traits NOT coming from another living person , and, coming ultimately from materials like rocks, dirt, hydrogen gas, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
How many times are people gonna ask the same questions over and over and over again?

It's not like the people who ask them are interested in a serious answer anyways. When are god-believers gonna get it through their heads that it isn't an atheist job to do their homework for them? It's like a creationist asking an evolution question, knowing good and well his mind is already made up before he ask it. If you're serious about an answer, you'll put in the time and do a bit of looking into it for yourself.

We all know if someone does take the time to give you a serious answer, you'll just resort to the tried and worn out god of the gaps argument. We've only seen it play out like that a million times before already around here.
Well, I AM a person who is interested in hearing the rationale and reason behind what another believes in , so, since you are in this newsgroup to dialogue ... Im hoping you would be willing to share your faith in Naturalism and Materialism as a personal worldview by telling us how materials gave us our distinct personality traits ? Or, do you believe they popped into place somewhere along the macro evolutionary spectrum between One celled Pond Protozoa which came from dead chemicals to 206 bone human being having some 60 major anatomical systems all working in unison ? WHich is it please ? Or...should we dare not ask and just have faith that it occured as such void of reason and logic ? Thank you.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Which of these functions of the brain you mention are non-material? More importantly, how do you know?
Which of these functions are material entities ? And, can you surmise as to how much love weighs and what is the chemical composition of hate ?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Which of these functions are material entities ? And, can you surmise as to how much love weighs and what is the chemical composition of hate ?
They're all natural, as they come from the normal physical workings of the brain.

Can you tell me how much yellow weighs or the chemical composition of rhyme? No? That doesn't make them supernatural. It just means you're making a number of category errors in your questions.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,364 times
All of them are created by chemical exchange in our brain.
They are not related to religion, they are created by humans.
Same way eating chocolate changes your mood.
Same way medicine can help you with depression, they are just chemicals in your brain

Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Our mental capacities are a product of evolution, nothing more, nothing less. No gods or magickal properties need be involved.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:35 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
They're all natural, as they come from the normal physical workings of the brain.
What is the source of "natural"? How can it explain anything when it is unexplained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
All of them are created by chemical exchange in our brain.
They are not related to religion, they are created by humans.
Same way eating chocolate changes your mood.
Same way medicine can help you with depression, they are just chemicals in your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Our mental capacities are a product of evolution, nothing more, nothing less. No gods or magickal properties need be involved.
The utter lack of in-depth philosophical thought about reality among the atheists here is depressing. Such a preponderance of ignorance among those who profess to value knowledge and reason is true irony . . . and not a hopeful sign for humanity.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Rocks taught me to love. I learned empathy from oxygen. Is this the type of answer you were looking for?

Old 06-04-2011, 07:26 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is the source of "natural"? How can it explain anything when it is unexplained.

The utter lack of in-depth philosophical thought about reality among the atheists here is depressing. Such a preponderance of ignorance among those who profess to value knowledge and reason is true irony . . . and not a hopeful sign for humanity.
HEY...I'm still waiting to read your "Scientifically based hypothesis". I am tired of the insults, put up your hypothesis, or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
I have a scientifically based hypothesis . . . you have none . . .

So, please elaborate on your scientifically based hypothesis? So, that I no longer have to waste either of our time knocking down shadows which apparently do not reflect your actual hypothesis. And please detail your personal experiential component.

An hypothesis is an explanation for an observation or a phenomenon. A good scientific hypothesis contains the following elements:

1. Description of the observation/phenomenon to be explained.

2. A clear, logically coherent description of the process(es) hypothesized to cause the observation/phenomenon.

3. A description of the consistency of the above descriptions with known facts and accepted theories.
a. What relevant observations/phenomena are explained?
b. What relevant observations/phenomena are not explained?
c. What observations/phenomena are incompatible with the explanation?

4. A description of how the hypothesis may be falsified.

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 06-04-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 12:52 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
How did such things as abstract thinking, love, empathy, compassion , reasoning, etc... ultimately come by way of atheistic Materialism such as rocks/dirt/hydrogen gas/planets, etc ???

If, like me, you're older than dirt the answers are obvious. Heck, back in the good old days before dirt was invented, everything just stayed clean all the time. Then some fool invesnted soap, some rich guy invested in it, so they hired a marketeer to hype the new product. Sales were slow, because there was nothing to clean. That's when Slobodan Dirtoyovic invented filth. And we all know how things developed form there.

For the science-minded, let me remind you of the law of conservation of filth: in order for one thing to become clean, something else must become dirty.

Atheistic dirt

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism