Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,955,887 times

Advertisements

Ultimately the existence of a god is unimportant. I have no problem with those who believe in a deity, though I don't. All I ask is that they not legislate their religion and force it onto me or my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,596,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Ultimately the existence of a god is unimportant. I have no problem with those who believe in a deity, though I don't. All I ask is that they not legislate their religion and force it onto me or my family.
How bout not judging me for not sharing their beliefs? How bout not embracing ugly stereotypes of atheists and expecting me to prove that I'm different?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,135,306 times
Americans believe in all kinds of foolish things.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,023,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans believe in all kinds of foolish things.

Especially when there is Money to be made in it. Years ago, some guy made millions stuffing rocks into boxes and selling them as "pet rocks" years later, some guy raised over a million dollars by saying God would take his life if he didn;t raise a million dollars in donations.

Yep Americans follow all kinds of foolishness, and money is often in that mix as well, money waiting to be parted from the fools.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,802,255 times
9 in 10 Americans Continue To Believe in God

Hummmmmm, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD news, expected.... but still BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,103,671 times
Saying you believe in God could mean anything.

I don't see how it's a big deal, unless we're talking about fanatics.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 AM

7,569 posts, read 6,023,239 times
Believing in "God" is not a bad thing, necessarily, it is the actions which result from it. If those actions inspire you to give some extra money to help out someone who is down on their luck, by donating to a food bank, or a clothing fund where you are helping someone get the basic necessities that they need, then what would be wrong with that?
If, on the other hand, belief in a diety compells one to violate other's human rights, all for the sake of "God's Law" or " God's Rights",......
Then, we have a problem. Any "god" which will order someone to kill another because they are of a different religion or race need not apply around here, because any such "diety" would be far from perfect and an imperfect god is niether useful nor desired.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,518,919 times
[quote=Thomas R.;19481692]
Quote:
The Gallup Poll shows 87% of Americans with postgraduate education believed. There are many religions that are not Hell-focused.
And what percentage of the total population does that represent? I am certain that it isn't 90% of all americans so your point is meaningless.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,304,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
I'm an atheist but laugh at the bible thumpers as much as I laugh at the people who complain about the bible thumpers.

Must be because I am a conservative.

reminds me of an old joke.

Conservative vs Liberal

* If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn`t buy one.
* If a liberal doesn't like guns, he feels that no one should have one.

* If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn`t eat meat.
* If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants to ban all meat products for everyone.

* If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.
* A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.

* If a conservative doesn't practice religion he leads his life without it.
*If a Liberal doesn't practice religion he demands all western based religions be banned.

* If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
* If a liberal is homosexual, he loudly demands legislated respect.

* If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
* A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

* If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
* Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down.
The main problem I have with some conservatives is that they think all liberals think alike.
NO. NO NO. that's why they're called liberals. they think for themselves.

They are atheists, they are theists, they are Protestant, Catholic, Jewish.

They drive Fords, Chevy's, Cadillac's, Mercedes Benz.

They root for the Giants, Jets, Cowboys, Packers, etc.etc.

They vote for Democrats, Republicans, Independents

They live in the North, South, East and West.

They own guns.

They hate guns.

Excuse me but your thinking is foolish. Not because you are a Conservative but because you are posting somebody's writings and you assume all Conservatives think alike.

How about posting some original thoughts.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,613,589 times
A point that many Atheist/Agnostics tend to focus on is the negative aspects of religious fanaticism. Those people only represent the fringe and not believers as a whole. Those are the Fred Phelps of the world. Trust me, I cringe every time some Christians are in the headlines for un-Christian reasons as it just adds fuel to the anti-religion fire.

Keep in mind that for every wacko Christian nutjob who uses the Bible as justification for their bigotry, there's a wonderful Christian who uses it as inspiration to do good, help others, volunteer and live a better life. The Christians that I'm friends with are the most kind and generous people I know. It's easy to get a bitter taste about people of faith when the only stories you read are negative, sensational headlines. "Priest fondles boys" is going to sell a lot more newspapers than "Priest organizes food drive".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism