Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:19 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Definition of AGNOSTIC

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Since there are so many of you who follow my postings on here, you ought to know that I have said several times that the existance of God can neither be proven or disproven. Heres one example:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...l#post18969002

Just because I choose to beleive that there is, dosnt mean that Im committed to beleiving this way. My veiws are subject to change.

I think I fit the bill, and I really dont care what you think. You know, one of the reasons why I joined this forum was to maybe find some answers and here the opinions of others on this subject, but so far all I have heard is alot of pettiness and judgemental garbage. { but yeah, you are far superior to any theist.... lol, laughable }
Yes, a Raffs says, you are theist is you believe in a god. If you are an agnostic theist (even a deist theist), then you do not know there is a god (agnosticism) but you believe there is one (illogical)

We atheists do not know that there is a god (agnostic) so we don't believe in it (logical).

It is not we atheists who are superior to theists but we we reckon our logical standpoint is superior to the theist one. If your views are subject to change, please do consider changing to a logically sound view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:22 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,350,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Definition of AGNOSTIC

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Since there are so many of you who follow my postings on here, you ought to know that I have said several times that the existance of God can neither be proven or disproven. Heres one example:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...l#post18969002

Just because I choose to beleive that there is, dosnt mean that Im committed to beleiving this way. My veiws are subject to change.

I think I fit the bill, and I really dont care what you think. You know, one of the reasons why I joined this forum was to maybe find some answers and here the opinions of others on this subject, but so far all I have heard is alot of pettiness and judgemental garbage. { but yeah, you are far superior to any theist.... lol, laughable }
This makes me agnostic. I have zero interest in knowing what occurs after death. I don't think it is knowable either. I make choices based on what seems most likely the best route. I make choices based on a hypothesis that there is no afterlife, as actions meant to assist the living world of people help everyone.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 AM

163 posts, read 376,581 times
I was raised in a convenience religious house. Kind of Poinsettia and Lily Christians, if that makes sense. I never had any religious ideas pressed onto me, except by one side of my family, which I'm estranged from now, anyway. I realize I was fortunate enough to be raised in an environment that encouraged an interrogation of the world around me. I was praised for my questions, not my faith. It's really sad to see that so many kids have matured enough to be able to reach rational, level-headed decisions, only to be sabotaged and either threatened or intimidated into passivity by a bullish family.

I never had to tell anyone I was an atheist, and there still hasn't ever been a reason to. I dislike the term as a title. It's accurate, but it only describes me in terms of my negative space. I don't believe in a god. I also don't know how to tango, I don't root for the Yankees, I don't own a motorcycle, etc. It's much easier and much more direct to describe myself in words that apply to what I am, what I do know, and what I do believe. In this regard, I'll say I hold a scientific worldview. I don't like serving only as a measure of the gaps around a set of beliefs. A yang to someone else's ying, if that makes sense. It's not important what I don't believe in, the things I disbelieve are too numerous to count, but I can summarize what I hold to be true fairly quickly.

To respond more concisely to the OP, no, I'm not in the same boat, but unfortunately, there are far too many people in that position.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,366 times
Ok this will sound very strange. But I pretty much come out and say that I'm a non-believer to everyone except my mom (Roman Catholic). Granted I think she has a clue because basically all my family members and friend know what I believe and I'm sure it leak out to her by now. But there seems to be an unsaid agreement between us about this issue. I'm not going to mention it and she is not going to bring it up. Granted even if it did come up I don't think there would be much of an issue at the end of the day. This is because my mom is pretty open to all religions (non-religion) and judges people by how they act not what faith they believe in.

As for everybody else. As I said earlier I just come out and say it. And basically nobody I know has had a big issue with it. Granted I've for the most part lived only in the Bos-Wash Corridor. So it maybe that the region of the U.S. I live in is more open to non-believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism