Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,070,302 times

Advertisements

If occurance such as a visually severly injured person or a tree uprooted by a storm was immediately restored preceded by a declaration from some entity stating that it is god and that it would be done and the event was witnessed by several disinterested bystanders that also recorded it on their video cameras, I would have to say I would be convinced and change my mind.

In other words, a pre-declared,absolutely opposed to any accepted possiblity, verifiable miracle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,192,284 times
Physical manifestation while I am sober and in front of two equally sober witnesses. Just using his alleged rules of engagement wrt witnesses.

That said, it may make me a believer but It would still get the finger and a scolding for Its lack of assistance to those really in need.

In a nutshell, none of this will happen as god is a man made invention.

If perhaps I meet this Moderator cut: edit in an afterlife, I will not want to share any significant time with IT except to tell IT what an Moderator cut: deleted IT is. IT can then smite me to oblivion. I do not want any afterlife, oblivion is far more attractive in that I will not know of my non existence much like it was before I was born.

GLORY!

Last edited by june 7th; 06-23-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 10:13 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,117,180 times
Zekester said it. Why single out a "God" as the focus of the question? Why not ask the same question about unicorns? Or Leprechauns? The answer is the same, isn't it?

The mere fact that ideas about God(s) have changed so drastically over human history is itself proof that it's all in the human mind.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,800,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post

The mere fact that ideas about God(s) have changed so drastically over human history is itself proof that it's all in the human mind.
Precisely!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:38 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,579,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
If God picked you up, shook you, and set you back down again, I'm sure you would be convinced. I think there are a lot of people who think that way. I can understand, to a large degree.
If you've spent any time at all listening to what atheists think you know that this is wrong.

I don't know of a single atheist who thinks that personal testimonials are reliable. They are too subject to being mistaken or misinterpreted, or the product of some internal stimuli. If we don't believe it when we hear someone else say "I believe because god spoke to me," or some such, why should we believe that some personal experience we think we are having would be any different?

Anecdote is not the singular of data.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:42 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,154,157 times
I need physical evidence and a demostration of its powers.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 06-19-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 01:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,519,670 times
I would need to use the same test as seen in the movie Bruce Almighty. If I could have the same powers as God, I would change my mind. Unlike the movie, I would do a better job than God. A lot less killing/murder for starters (no mass drownings etc).

Old 06-19-2011, 06:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,847,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
I don't understand your tone in the second paragraph. You act as if every Atheist here is going to childishly laugh you off or requires a figurehead telling them to act maturely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post

Certainly not EVERY Atheist, but there are some who would.

Quote:
You'll find most of us are educated, mature, have degrees, professionals, actively contribute to society, - and are perfectly capable of answering a post without "you Atheist be good or I'll report you!!!"

Regarding the topic, religion is faith based, we Atheist don't operate on that wavelength. And if you think about it - neither do you (assuming you're a Theist). If you're a Christian, do you hold Odin in the same regard as the Christian God? Does it matter to you that thousands and thousands of people died 100% believing they were on their way to see him? And what about Jihadists - people who die 100% believing they were going to see their God and experience their version of heaven?

What proof is required to change your mind that Odin exists?

Does that sound absurd to you? That's how absurd your question sounds to us (well me..)..
Of this I have no doubt. I just wanted evryone to give a serious answer thats all. Youll find that the thread I posted in the Chritianity forum identical to this one says the same thing.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,847,236 times
Quote:
Zekester said it. Why single out a "God" as the focus of the question? Why not ask the same question about unicorns? Or Leprechauns? The answer is the same, isn't it?

But wouldnt this speak more towards the error of HUMAN thinking rather than that of the possibility of God?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
But wouldnt this speak more towards the error of HUMAN thinking rather than that of the possibility of God?
No, but an indicator that as man's knowledge increases, the fantisies linked to superstition wane. Hopefully within a few generations knowledge will eliminate the need of superstitions for all but the most stubborn willful ignorance practitioners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism