Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,957,731 times

Advertisements

No there are no gods, angels, devils, demons, spirits, etc. However Satan/the Devil is the MOST important figure in organized religion. He keeps them in business. If people didn't have the devil to fear well what good would religion be? What do we need Jesus for if he's not "saving" us from anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 PM

659 posts, read 1,097,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impossoblenew View Post
Hello.
Is there any devil ?
Or dark consciousness ?
if I looking for devil
him name is beelzebub red devil
I lost my devil
329-3228
Love, impossoblenew
P.S. I'll find my devil
Who took my devil
Who found my devil
2012 15th Ave. S

Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBeavs View Post
So because we're a more highly evolved society, that considers the impact of our actions on others (and, more to the point, considers the blowback on us), this means satan suddenly exists? Whereas before, when we thought as reptiles, Satan didn't exist?
Satan (the Serpent) still existed . . . the capacity to know that and distinguish Good from Evil did not.
Quote:
If I'm reading you correctly, then you believe Satan exists entirely in our conscious imagination.
I agree.
You are not. The Serpent (our limbic system) is very real and a very powerful part of our brain. It is all we can do to deny its requests when they would engender harm to others. Christians would call this being tempted by Satan to do all manner of things forbidden as sins because of their negative impact on others.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,807,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Yes, they're called Republicans.

How else could Michele Bachmann be in Congress without the help of the Dark Powers?
It certainly wouldn't be personality linked.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,070,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Satan (the Serpent) still existed . . . the capacity to know that and distinguish Good from Evil did not.You are not. The Serpent (our limbic system) is very real and a very powerful part of our brain. It is all we can do to deny its requests when they would engender harm to others. Christians would call this being tempted by Satan to do all manner of things forbidden as sins because of their negative impact on others.
In other words, yes,it's all in our heads....generally referred to as instinct for selfish benefit and/or survival, which we try to curtail or subdue if thought to be harmful to our 'group ( society)

Old 07-02-2011, 04:23 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,070,302 times
database error is not allowing an edit so to continue.....
It's easier on the self image to believe 'it' was planted there...or enters us..in some mystical battle between entities fighting over control of us and the world.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,700,727 times

Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Serpent (our limbic system) is very real and a very powerful part of our brain. It is all we can do to deny its requests when they would engender harm to others. Christians would call this being tempted by Satan to do all manner of things forbidden as sins because of their negative impact on others.
OMG!!!

We have a worm in our brain

Honestly Mystic, where do you come up with this stuff?

Our limbic system is part of our brain and like the rest of our brain it functions using neural pathways.

'The limbic system is a convenient way of describing several functionally and anatomically interconnected nuclei and cortical structures that are located in the telencephalon and diencephalon. These nuclei serve several functions, however most have to do with control of functions necessary for self preservation and species preservation. They regulate autonomic and endocrine function, particularly in response to emotional stimuli. They set the level of arousal and are involved in motivation and reinforcing behaviors. Additionally, many of these areas are critical to particular types of memory. Some of these regions are closely connected to the olfactory system, since this system is critical to survival of many species.'

Nothing metaphysical about it old chum.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 4,460 times
Dark energy

Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 4,460 times
It is possible to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism