Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times

Advertisements

Fairy tales are fine for little children. After all, Tinker Bell is kept alive by them. But we don't live in an innocent world, and it is best to mature and recognize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fairy tales are fine for little children. After all, Tinker Bell is kept alive by them. But we don't live in an innocent world, and it is best to mature and recognize that.

Toyland, Toyland
Little girl and boy land
While you dwell within it,
You are ever happy then.
Childhood's joy-land
Mystic merry Toyland,
Once you pass it's borders,
You can never return again.

From the Operetta "Babes In Toyland"
Words by Glenn Macdonough, 1903
Music by Victor Herbert, 1903

Publicity still from the Laurel and Hardy film "Babes in Toyland" (1934), later reissued under the title "March of the Wooden Soldiers"

And a rep point (or two) for you catman, for at least allowing Fairytales to exist in childhood, otherwise unbridled and rampant Atheism would simply go too far.....

Peace

Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This, in a nutshell. My family was never very religious to begin with.

Then, as I got older and investigated things for myself, I decided that there wasn't nearly enough evidence to justify a belief in some all-powerful creator that controls our universe.
^^^LOL, I knew there was something I liked about you!!!!

For me, I always had doubts as a kid. However, I began not to believe at all when (GET THIS!!!!) I learned about God, Jesus, and evolution (7th grade) in a Catholic school down south. The class was called "Religion" (where we learned about different faiths; not just Christianity). Evolution was taught as a scientific fact during science class. After learning that there have been multiple Gods and multiple changes in human appearance over the years (pre-humans), it was simply a no brainer. The bible was a book of myths created by man.

At that point, my 12 year old brain got MUCH smarter (and my mouth got me in MUCH more trouble). After learning of evolution, I can still remember asking the teacher why our religion books show Adam and Eve as people with belly buttons (why would the first humans need them)? I had quite a few other questions, but at that point I was being a smart a$$ and the teacher knew it. My mouth almost got me kicked out of Catholic school quite a few times.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
ShouldIMove OrStayPut...?: Fairy tales and childrens stories are fine, as is all fiction. But when fiction masquerades as fact in an adult setting, it's gone too far. I take some issue with your characterization of "unbridled and rampant Atheism", since most Atheists can appreciate a novel, sci-fi, or a good fairy tale. But those are not usually presented as fact upon which to base one's life.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
And a rep point (or two) for you catman, for at least allowing Fairytales to exist in childhood, otherwise unbridled and rampant Atheism would simply go too far.....

Peace
How can atheism go too far?

And how is being without religion 'rampant' and 'unbridled'?

The only thing that's rampant and unbridled and goes too far is the religious crazies, not the heathens.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
It's the Straw Vulcan again. The fear-mongering lie put about that atheism is going to turn us into soulless emotionless robots, without love, compassion, a sense of beauty or humour. It's one of the dirtiest smears they have in their box of tricks but a hard one to wash off.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 AM

570 posts, read 733,397 times
Fairy tales !!!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisweetheart View Post
What made you want to become a non-believer?
I was born an atheist as is everyone.

I was raised as a Catholic by my parents and indoctrinated by nuns and priests at school. A lot of it seemed kind of silly to me even when I was young, but I went along with it and learned not to ask the nuns religious questions otherwise I'd be told to stand in the corner of the classroom and made to wear a dunces hat. (I was an A student)

Then....

In my teens, I started to question, researched, studied the Bible and other religions, studied history, then realized that it was all based on myths and lies.

The real question is: Why do so many adults still need to think these myths are real?

I wonder if it has anything to do with Attachment theory and an unmet need for unconditional love of a parental attachment figure?

Last edited by Ceist; 09-08-2011 at 06:29 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
^^^LOL, I knew there was something I liked about you!!!!

For me, I always had doubts as a kid. However, I began not to believe at all when (GET THIS!!!!) I learned about God, Jesus, and evolution (7th grade) in a Catholic school down south. The class was called "Religion" (where we learned about different faiths; not just Christianity). Evolution was taught as a scientific fact during science class. After learning that there have been multiple Gods and multiple changes in human appearance over the years (pre-humans), it was simply a no brainer. The bible was a book of myths created by man.

At that point, my 12 year old brain got MUCH smarter (and my mouth got me in MUCH more trouble). After learning of evolution, I can still remember asking the teacher why our religion books show Adam and Eve as people with belly buttons (why would the first humans need them)? I had quite a few other questions, but at that point I was being a smart a$$ and the teacher knew it. My mouth almost got me kicked out of Catholic school quite a few times.
If there were no real people called Adam and Eve in a mythical garden of eden, there was no original sin.

And if there was no "original sin", there was no Jesus, who is God, who was a son of himself who had to get himself killed to appease himself, to save mankind from himself and his threats of erternal torture for anyone who doesn't worship him.. uuh..self

Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It's the Straw Vulcan again. The fear-mongering lie put about that atheism is going to turn us into soulless emotionless robots, without love, compassion, a sense of beauty or humour. It's one of the dirtiest smears they have in their box of tricks but a hard one to wash off.

catman and Djuna, this response is for you too, just did not want to multi-quote and AREQUIPA'S post takes the most in depth counter. No matter what one posts it can be misinterpreted by some or all (and maybe my fault for not clarifying) and taking the time to make the "perfect" post that expresses your thoughts and pleases everyone is an elusive goal at best.

I speak of proactive and more "militant" atheists who go forth in the world to set straight any delusions people might have of god, afterlife, and yes, even fairytales. One's who might even say to a child in line to see "Santa" at the mall, or in the toy department buying some fairytale castle or figures some words to set them on a more realistic path. You know they are out there, they may not be legion but also probably costitute more than a few.

This a far cry from sentient and soulful atheists that are more open minded and less likely to be proactive or "take their show on the road" so to speak. My error for using the term atheism in general to describe the potential actions of some of it's members, I learn as a go I suppose.

No fear mongering or smears intended, and I have no box of tricks.

P.S....

catman, just reading your thoughts of an atheist enjoying a sci-fi movie, novel, or even fairytale but no wnting to base a long term belief going forward on said subject matter, this is why I included the "Babes In Toyland" song lyrics in which upon growing into adolescence and adulthood one naturally develops the experiences of life that replace the innocent joy of childhood.

"Once you cross it's borders, you may never return again"

Peace

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 09-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Had to add a post script thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism