Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisweetheart View Post
Interesting so why don't you guys want to believe in anything?
It is stupid to believe in things that don't exits. What do you believe in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 PM

455 posts, read 632,990 times
Ultimately, we feel we are Good people, we do not feel as though we were Born Bad?, what kinda sense does that make?

Also, we are tired of living in a society that remains so punitive even in light of evidence that supports how the other alternatives work better ie. war on drugs/crime,gay people,bigotry,etc.

It's time to move past the Good vs Evil, religious mindset.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
I didn't 'become' an atheist, I evolved

Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
What made you want to become a non-believer?
"Want" had nothing to do with it. It was where the evidence led me.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
That is exactly how I see it as well.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times
Had questions about a seemingly nonchalant god and one that deemed it OK to consign the majority of all who ever lived to ET.

Through Universalism, found that hell was in fact mistranslations of Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus. Fall/rebellion of angels all BS.

Further research, much of OT stuff never happened and penned circa 500BCE - Lots of place for errors to creep in.

Found out that tactics of mass delusion, hypnotism, group think and power of suggestion was the reason behind all my "spiritual" experiences.

Xianity was a take off of many pagan religions, little verifiable proof of jesus ever existing.

Satan transliterated from Hebrew Sawtan or Sawtawn (adversary) was how the lil' red guy came into being.

Lucifer refers to light bearer and oddly the same attributes attributed to jesus.

Free will argument flawed even from a secular standpoint.

Alleged holy spirit filled xians no better than non believers. No real "fruit ov teh spurit"

Tried to do apologetics for xianity but could not do the mental gymnastics well as it conflicted with rational thought and logic.

Always believed in evolution and old earth as I was taught properly with real science.

Realized that xians adjust dogmas to try and stay abreast of science but fail miserably.

Money is the key driving factor. God never showered me with 10 fold blessings as promised. God owes me 3 million by virtue of the alleged promises - still waiting....

God seems more concerned with petty crap like finding one a job but fails to alleviate suffering worldwide.

Prayer does not work - Ceiling Cat a better option as it will sometimes meow or purr.

Asked god to reveal itself to me and failed to make an appearance outside the imagination in my brain. Can experience HS goosebumps urinating when held in too long - aah the relief... Get my drift?

After 8+ years deconversion, can still invoke tongues at will meaning it is a learned trait, not a gift.

Felt more liberated when I declared my disbelief than when I thought I experienced the born again experience.

Realized, science has a better track record than god does.

Angry towards myself for allowing myself to be duped by con artists that played on my vulnerability at one stage of my life.

Fathomed out, I have no need for self righteous bless me klubs.

But I guess, in all of this, I never was a True Woo Woo......?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
That's a rather judgemental question.....just because some people don't believe in god doesn't mean (at all) that they don't believe in "anything". I believe in compassion, empathy, true love,....I believe in the power of kindness, and especially tolerance for those who don't believe the same as I do.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times
What might be interesting to some is the recent article in the New Statesman which lists statements from famous non believers on why THEY do not think there is a god.

New Statesman - Faith no more

Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times

‪50 Renowned Academics Speaking About God‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Axiom: Atheists don't believe in nothing. They believe in everything - except gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism