Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:27 PM

31,134 posts, read 22,174,891 times

Advertisements

Is there any reason for believing in one and not the other above phenomenon?

I really don't believe in any of the above. I will admit that I have been brain washed into religion as a child, but as an adult I see no rational for believing in one relgion vs. another or one super natural belief vs. another. They are all equal to me.

Now the amount of harm one Religion does to society is a true representation of that religion.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 07-25-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
No, no, no, and no. Plus I could add a whole list of other supernatural and charters of folklore to that list.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 07-25-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,205,438 times
Nope, I can't make myself believe in nonsense of any kind. That includes, but is not limited to things like reiki, rune stones and many other forms of so called holistic healing...If everyone were as skeptical as I am of these things, the people that get rich selling this crap, like the"Q ray bracelet" for instance, would be out of business...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:51 PM

75 posts, read 60,379 times
I believe in all of them and for 20 bucks I can make you a believer too.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,758,119 times
No, no, no and no.

I do not believe in silly superstitions and make believe cr*p.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,337,991 times
to answer the OP question..No ..not at all...

Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,654,552 times
No. Though I would add psychics to that list , I do believe the brain is an organ whose powers are still grossly misunderstood and whose potential is unrealised in many ways. I do believe some people have an extra perception whatever that means. Not a connection with the "other side" ( which I do not believe in) but more of an extra sensibility for want of a better word.

I think all of us have far more potential than we know.

I have met people who seemed a lot more attuned to their surroundings and who almost do seem to have an extra sense. I don't think it is anything supernatural though, just a physical ability which is sharper than most of us. A bit like some people have better hearing or eye-sight so nothing "spooky" at all though. Maybe it is something we are born with, a genetic add on or maybe simply something which can be practised and improved. I don't know.

I suspect the brain will always remain a bit of a mystery to us , at least in parts but I do believe we shall one day be able to understand more of its intricate workings and how connections are made with the rest of our body. To me though that is simple biology not "voodoo" science.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,387,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Is there any reason for believing in one and not the other above phenomenon?
None that I am aware of, which is why I discount them all.

Should someone come up with any arguments, evidence, data or reasons to lend credence to any one or more of them, I will reconsider.

No one has yet. The "best" anyone can do is the old canard of "Well you can not prove them NOT true....".

Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM

43 posts, read 21,436 times
None of the above.

Nor do I believe a massive debt problem can be cured without addressing revenue.

Wait, where am I? Sorry!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,852,441 times
You don't need god to have any other so-called paranormal event or vice-versa. I won't write off psychic phenomenon, ghosts, UFOs, ect so easily however.

The biggest realization to make regarding the issue is that all paranormal experiences are interpreted by their witnesses through their cultural lenses. A strangely behaving light in the sky is assumed to be an extraterrestrial spacecraft, a semi-transparent human figure that appears and disappears is assumed to be the disembodied soul of a deceased person and so forth. The event can happen, but the "conclusion" drawn from the event is probably wrong.

Weird things can and DO happen... denying that fact there are things outside of normal human experience is incredibly short-sighted and truly as laughable as the beliefs of the most diehard fundie.

The universe is much, much larger, complicated and interconnected than a bunch of hairless apes on a tiny little rock floating somewhere in the vastness could ever comprehend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism