Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is there a commonality among atheists when it comes to control versus trust?
Do you prefer to drive rather than be a passenger....make the plans rather than just go along with them.....double check others decisions,lead rather than follow,etc?
You can see where this could be going.
Yes to all of the above, because I seem to be surrounded by morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
When I worked in "outside jobs" I realized that I didn't own the company! I had a sense of my place in the scheme of things...On the other hand if things seemed to be going downhill all around me I tried to find the source of the problems on my own. I tried to "size things up" in other words. And I could tell when employee morale was getting low etc...I forced myself to talk to my bosses about my "findings" if things got really bad and out of hand...I tried to find a way to say things and a way to point out the problems in a non-inflammatory and non-attacking type of way. I tried to stay grounded in logic and reason and spoke in non-emotional ways if this make sense...Basically I handed my bosses a list of the problems and some possible solutions. I tried to stay modest and humble and didn't want to come across as a "know-it-all." It was always a delicate situation and I tried to speak in well-rounded ways with respect for all...I didn't want to come across as a tattle-tale or gossip or smear anyone in malicious ways...The bottom line is that I cared about the company as a "whole" and viewed myself as a "team player."...Most of my bosses thanked me for caring about the company...I just ran into a few bosses who took offense at what I said. These were the "do nothing" bosses who wanted to sit in their offices all day long. Or bosses who were extremely insecure and "touchy" and defensive.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
I don't know if trust and control is the right way to look at the decisions that we make in our daily lives as opposed to religious faith.
There are plenty of type A's that I've seen in the business world that are very religious and put their faith and guidance in a higher power. Also my significant other works with law enforcement on a federal level and while there is somewhat of a structure of command and control (unsaid rank, and seniority, etc.) Most people that she is involved with are again Type A's that want to be in charge in a given situation. Also most of these people that I've met are very religious and very conservative in their beliefs. So I not sure about the comparison here.

Now on to your questions.

Quote:
Do you prefer to drive rather than be a passenger
Personally I don't like to drive and try to get out of it as much as possible. I just rather be doing something else (on my laptop, reading, etc.) Granted If I know the person I'm in the car with drives like a manic...then...Yeah I want to be in control, because I want to live.

Quote:
....make the plans rather than just go along with them
Well it like this. If someone mentions an idea about doing something and I really don't want to do it or just not up for it then I just nip the idea in the bud and just say no from the very beginning and end it there.

If someone mentions an idea of doing something and I'm Ok with it. It depends if the situation is business or pleasure.
If it business then I at least would like some input into the plan. I don't need to completely control it but as least need to have input.
With pleasure. Honestly I like only having very generalized plans and love to improvise along the way. Basically see where the situation takes me. I personally hate when others try to control and completely plan out what exactly going to happen.

Quote:
.....double check others decisions, lead rather than follow,etc?
Depends. I may have a particular expertise/knowledge in an area in a given situation. If I know enough about what happening....then I will question particular decisions and I will be willing to take the lead if I think others are taking the situation in the wrong direction. But is all things being equal that is if I'm comfortable with decisions that are made or if I ok with the direction that things are heading in then I could care less who is in charge of what.

As for areas I have limited knowledge/experience in then I am usually willing to let someone else handle the situation. Granted I usually check a person's/companies track record and past performance before let them do anything.

Quote:
I think I get what you trying to get at. I think what you’re going for...is that... atheist/agnostics are more independent minded and do not like being controlled or told what to do. And that religious folks would rather not think about what going on and just go with the flow. I think that the tread. I'm I correct?
To be honest I think there are too many variables involved here (innate temperament, interpersonal background with family and friends, others, educational/experience backgrounds, general environment in which on is brought up in, etc.) to just boil it down to do YOU like/want to be in control or are you ok with OTHERS controlling a given situation.

But that just my 2 cents.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Do you prefer to drive rather than be a passenger....make the plans rather than just go along with them.....double check others decisions,lead rather than follow,etc?
Wow, sounds like a very perceptive question (and I'd be curious to know how that one came about)! Am not of the atheist persuasion myself, but I sometimes get the sense that both the atheists & the evangelicals simply represent dual aspects of basically the same thing... little toleration for "uncertainties" or ambiquities, plus a certain "my way or the highway" attitude underlying both (aka, "control").

Then again, maybe that's also just a reflection of what Depak Chopra (or one of those new age-y guys) suggests, that we all simply create a version of "God/No God" in our own image (rather than the other way around).

Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I think I get what you trying to get at. I think what you’re going for...is that... atheist/agnostics are more independent minded and do not like being controlled or told what to do. And that religious folks would rather not think about what going on and just go with the flow. I think that the tread. I'm I correct?

But that just my 2 cents.
Your 2 cents bought the right book.
Yes, I was wondering if being more independent minded and less likely to just follow along influenced a broader area in an atheists life.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
Quote:
If you act like you don't know where you are going, are taking inefficient routes, if you have the tendency to swerve all over the road, tailgate, cut people off, or act like you have a blind spot and drive like you're clueless, and/or have "drunk dents" on your car, then of course I'm going to want to drive instead. I have a reason I prefer to drive - it's not based upon my will to control but based upon how well a person drives.

Whether or not I want to be in control is based upon who else is around and their knowledge of the situation/experience.

Trust - my full trust is something that is earned.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I agree completely. Well, almost. I still like to be the driver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism