Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:40 AM

570 posts, read 733,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
This is how your last thread ended as well - all of your points were met with reasonable answers and you disappeared pretending to be busy. Why bother asking for answers if you're just going to ignore them?
When you enter in a vicious circle then it is better to come out of it because it will never end .
That is the only thing that make me lose my interest to continue ( not disappear ) .
I would not ignore any answers but of course I will ignore off topic replies .

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 09-14-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Also, why try to understand the Quran at all? Aren't all previous Muslims in heaven anyway? Doesn't seem like they all bothered to understand the Quran enough to learn the Theory of Evolution from it, so why do you? Is chasing shadows fun?

About the vicious circles, it's best to take your opponents out 1 by 1 or blow by blow. this means that if you are afraid of "vicious circles" on internet forums, then

1) open up private messages with the individuals you wish to discuss with (1 by 1)
2) respond to each comment post by post (blow by blow)

Old 09-14-2011, 02:14 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
When you enter in a vicious circle then it is better to come out of it because it will never end .
That is the only thing that make me lose my interest to continue ( not disappear ) .
I'm not understanding you here.....what is the vicious circle in this thread that you need to extricate yourself from?

While there was off color comments most people responded in a meaningful way. They may not be the answers you prefer but they are honest answers from what they have been either taught to self-taught.

Also I'm still personally interested in answers you have that were given to those questions from this 16 year old boy. I'm not being coy here. I honestly would like to see the answers he got from the panel. And again I would see what this 16 year olds project is and see what is the crutch of his upcoming thesis is.
All I need from you is a simple transcript and/or article so I can gain some knowledge about the exchange......or......If these are unavailable........you could just tell us the response given to this boy. While not by preferred method, I willing to take your answer (in a return post) as honest from your notes/memory.......or if all else fails at least give me the name of the school this exchange happened that way I can track down a transcript from the school or debate club involved.

Thank You

Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM

31,026 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:
I will ... thank you .

Rifleman ... don't you think it's kind of rude that you expect me to answer your questions while you didn't answer mine !!??
If you think they are silly then at least have respected to the members who put some effort to answer those questions .

There are many verses in the Quran that were not understood until now when science discovered it ( not from the Quran ) .
Now ... If I show you with no doubt that the holy quran stated DNA would you admit that it's from god ?
This was where the post was heading all along!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Quote:
I will ... thank you .

Rifleman ... don't you think it's kind of rude that you expect me to answer your questions while you didn't answer mine !!??
If you think they are silly then at least have respected to the members who put some effort to answer those questions .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
You mean those other questions that you didn't ask, but rather referenced as coming from some illiterate and scientifically biased 16 yr old? Oh. Well, because they have all been more than answered by others here, unless you simply want me to wear out my fingertips typing the same stuff.

But OK: I'll give you one thorough answer regarding Silly Question No. 8: "Who protects us from life-ending meteorites?"

Obvious answer to that utterly stupid question: no-one. We've been hit hard, quite a few times. Check out Chicxulub, which did end most life as we know it, including the dinosaurs.

Chicxulub crater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this staggeringly destructive and historically-documented event in Russia:

Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or any of these...

List of impact craters on Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Side-Question to you squall...; honestly now: are you completely scientifically illiterate, or did you know about any of these impacts? If you didn't you really ought to get out a bit more, squall ol' pal, or at least do some reading. And look! I've even given you some to practise on! Put down your Q'Ran for a few minutes and read about these for even a few minutes, and then wonder why that 16 yr old was so blindly naivé to ask such a silly question!

So now then, moving on past your obvious evasive excuse, please... answer my few simple questions, or concede complete defeat.

There are many verses in the Quran that were not understood until now when science discovered it ( not from the Quran ) .
Now ... If I show you with no doubt that the holy quran stated DNA would you admit that it's from god ?
Well OK then; please... go ahead. Show me an uncontestable and un-ambiguous reference to a bio-molecule [based on 4, or sometimes 5, amino acid base pairs...] with the unique ability to replicate via it's ancestral predecessor tRNA [which I'd also like to see Mohammed's ideas on if you would be so kind...], and upon which all earth-bound life is based.

(NOTE: Even if Mohammed did provide a complete and scientifically satisfactory answer [which he won't, I'm betting], he may well have just been observant. Darwin did not "see" DNA (no-one actually has, BTW...) fater all, he just figured out that the ha to be some such device in operation.

Still, how does a description of anything prove its from your god? If I describe X-Ray back-scattering, or one of the tools I used in my reserch, X-Ray fluorescence, by my describing it, does that disprove your God? Hardly. BTW, you might as well also show me Mohammed The Scientist's commentary on X-Ray fluorescence, which has proven itself to provide a commanding proof of an ancient earth, of the constituent molecules on many fossils and artifacts, and so on. Let me see his detailed comments please (I expect you to fall dead-flat on this one, but who knows? I may be wrong...)

But also please reference his comments on DNA's documented ability to mutate. And actually, remember that I'm not really asking about what the Q-Ran says. You didn't read my questions! I asked a series of questions about what YOU believe.

You DO have thoughts outside of the Q'Ran, do you not? You know, that you've concluded on your own, without just parrotting the commentary of others? God, as an adult in this world I'd hope, for your sake, that you can operate without having to totally depend on your Q'Ran to even step out the door, go shopping, go to the pottie or read a book....

Otherwise, "heaven help" the Muslims in this world! They'd all be like little kindergarten children, always needing a hand to accomplish ANYTHING!

Last edited by rifleman; 09-16-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 07:08 AM

570 posts, read 733,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater
I'm not understanding you here.....what is the vicious circle in this thread that you need to extricate yourself from?
I wasn't referring to this topic ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC This is how your last thread ended as well - all of your points were met with reasonable answers and you disappeared pretending to be busy. Why bother asking for answers if you're just going to ignore them?
So my response was :
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
While there was off color comments most people responded in a meaningful way. They may not be the answers you prefer but they are honest answers from what they have been either taught to self-taught.

Also I'm still personally interested in answers you have that were given to those questions from this 16 year old boy. I'm not being coy here. I honestly would like to see the answers he got from the panel. And again I would see what this 16 year olds project is and see what is the crutch of his upcoming thesis is.
All I need from you is a simple transcript and/or article so I can gain some knowledge about the exchange......or......If these are unavailable........you could just tell us the response given to this boy. While not by preferred method, I willing to take your answer (in a return post) as honest from your notes/memory.......or if all else fails at least give me the name of the school this exchange happened that way I can track down a transcript from the school or debate club involved.

Thank You
The full lecture (Debate) is attached to our high school bulletin board .
I will show it to you all at the end of the topic , But first, I want to compare the committee answers to the responses here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS juan
This was where the post was heading all along!
That is absolutely not true ...
If it wasn't for that reply I wouldn't even mention it :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman
Oh but PS: PUH-LEEEEZE.. don't quote your Q'Ran for answers, since it's neither credible nor informative about DNA. Mohammed had NO idea on that one. I want to see YOUR knowledge and ability to communicate scientifically valid facts.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Default Predictably...... & QED... again.

<cricketz>

The silence here is both deafening and convincing. Our Islamic proponent here knows nothing, and can explain or answer nothing, and yet he happily bites down hard on whatever his handlers say, as long as it supports his beloved but scientifically vacant Q'Ran.

Well then, there yah go, dont'cha?? QED, as we scientists say (it means "Thus, it has been proven")

He's up against those of us who have taken the time to read, speculate, think through with a skeptical mind, and formulate an overall theory that at least begins to successfully explain the observable world around us.

He, on the other hand, wallows in the offal of scientific illiteracy.

Good on yah, sqaull old soak!!!

Oh, and... they are still out there... the...

<cricketz>

I mean. Peaceful, ain't it?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring to this topic ...

The full lecture (Debate) is attached to our high school bulletin board .
I will show it to you all at the end of the topic , But first, I want to compare the committee answers to the responses here .
Ok. But....if I may ask..What is the time line for this "end of the topic”?

I ask this because one could hold this tread open indefinitely without ending it. If we look at this tread the last “answers" specifically to your 16 questions was on 9/13/2011 about 4 days ago by whippersnapper88. Now in the real world that not that long.....but in the cyber world (message board world) that I would say is getting pretty long in the tooth. And considering the millions that visit this website and view/partake in CD......the lack of posts and posters involved....overall....I think shows waning interest in the tread itself. In short. I think you’re not going to see many more answers coming your way on this particular thread.

I think you could revive this tread by posting the answers and maybe get some more responses (both constructive and not so constructive answers) by making public the answers given on your message board.

Thank you.

Last edited by baystater; 09-17-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Yep; there it is! The Dependable Evasion Reaction again.

Why do I say this? Well, your OP asks us readers to answer questions posted by some supposedly technically enlightened 16 yr old, in which he specifically asks Scientific Questions by which he tries to raise doubts about the established scientific answers.

Well, you can't have it both ways, squall. You do, in fact, try to claim your Quran is a scientific book, through which you have tried in the past to claim that Allah/Mohammed "knew all" about things that, only now, modern scientific investigation has unveiled.

But yet, when I and others here deal with the silly ideas as presented by that kid, you evade by saying the Q'Ran is NOT a scientific book.( Well, by golly, why didn't you say so in the thread's first post, that those ideas from that 16 yr old are all just spiritual in their base, that they don't reflect any attempts to question known facts?)

(For instance, I did answer Q # 8, about meteorite impacts, and could have done the same with Q # 6, about some apparently hyper-critical separation distances from various orbiting bodies. That nut-ball supposition is just plain wrong and frankly, pig-headedly stubborn. And easily shown to be so, yet so many thesits hopefully glom onto* the truly stupid idea (but as regularly positied by various ignorant theists) that it's all got to be positioned "just so".

Fact: The distance from the earth to the sun varies significantly, not only by annual season, but also by 10-year increments, for example, and with gross overall changes over the centuries and millenia. And yet, here we all still are.... surviving and adapting as necessary via Evolutionary processes, as now well-proven. Whaddah yah know, huh?

(Re: Q'Ran: BTW, I've seen it spelled that way many times by other Muslim posters here... What, internal Islamic disagreement about what to call The Great Book?)

NOTE: * Glom onto: to attach to something like sticky glue, with little other reason than it's "stickiness". Not a good attribute.

Last edited by rifleman; 09-18-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 08:01 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
This thread is nothing but a poor attempt at veiled proselytization.

Squall, Allah doesn't exist. Move along now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism