Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,619,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'll respond to your last post soon, I'm at work now.

Anyway, to answer this question - and I assume you are talking about an omnipotent God here, not God-is-nature God:

I, for one, would move from being a strong athesit to an agnostic if there were sufficient evidence that omnipotence was possible.
What is it you mean when you use the term "omnipotence?" I don't want the text book definition. I would like to know what you mean...if it's not too much to ask.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,502,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So far, it appears that nobody that has read the OP has made that trip, unless I missed a post.

If this counts as a move to/from, it wasn't until reading the R&P board that I amended my stance from straight atheist to agnostic atheist after realizing the intellectual need to allow for the remote possibility that there could be a supreme entity of some sort that people might call god..
That is a good move. I am an agnostic atheist myself. An atheist who says that they 'know' there is no god or even no God is going to to have to retreat from an apparently illogical position which he doesn't actually hold.

He doesn't know for absolute certainty that there is no god or God just as he doesn't know for absolute certainly there are no fire- breathing dragons, fairies or leprechauns. But just as we as sure that there are no such things because the evidence for them is laughable, we just wonder why Biblegod, which has not much better evidential support is solemly believed in by millions.

I think the discussion is just as appropriate to AA as R/P, since atheists need to think about it and then we can set the theists straight when they try to accuse us of being arrogantly illogical and laying a claim to absolute knowledge.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,696,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
What is needed for the Atheist who comes to the table with an apriori-philosophical bias to get to the place of being a diligent inquisitive Agnostic Seeker ?
A reason to believe that what they're seeking is more than a figment of someone else's imagination.

And it seems strange that you'd want an agnostic, someone who believes gods are unknowable, to search for knowledge of them. That must come from a misunderstanding of what agnostics are.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
What is it you mean when you use the term "omnipotence?" I don't want the text book definition. I would like to know what you mean...if it's not too much to ask.
Why do you need to know that? How specifically is the textbook definition not sufficient for this discussion?

Note to others - don't bother engaging with this poster. Review his other contributions to realize that all you'll get in return for answering questions are more questions or insults. The deciding factor seems to be how well you make your case - the more convincing you are, the more insults you'll receive.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So far, it appears that nobody that has read the OP has made that trip, unless I missed a post.

If this counts as a move to/from, it wasn't until reading the R&P board that I amended my stance from straight atheist to agnostic atheist after realizing the intellectual need to allow for the remote possibilty that there could be a supreme entity of some sort that people might call god..
Sure, it's fine to hold on to a remote possibility that there may be a god hiding somewhere out there. But it's also just as reasonable to hold on to a remove possibility that Santa or unicorns are out there. They're just as possible as gods. But no one splits hairs over being agnostic over those beings. The only reason why people do it for gods is due to cultural baggage. Buying into this just gives more power to the fairy tales from believers - you're admitting that their god is special. In reality it's OK to say you know god isn't real in the same sense you know Santa isn't.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,431,856 times
closed..

refer to Administrators sticky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism