Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
An agnostic never has to make up his mind. While the die hard religious folks, and die hard atheists fight with each other convincing the other of each other follies, us agnostics keep an open mind always looking for the answers, realizing that some things are unanswerable!
"'I cannot fathom it. Therefore it is unfathomable.' All fish talk like this."

- Friedrich Nietzche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:18 PM

605 posts, read 704,851 times
A lot of people were definitive that the world was, indeed, flat too. Everything they knew about the world led them to believe that, after careful consideration of what was known around them. As we learn more and more, we discover new things about the universe we live in. It's a human trait that we are fallible and make mistakes. Keeping this in mind, you can believe in something, but you cannot truly know something is true.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,205,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Agnostics are just atheists without the stones to make a definitive statement. We like to think of them as our weak-minded cousins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It is one thing to have an open mind. It is another thing entirely to let your brains fall out on the floor.

Eventually, one should be able to make a decision. Terminal indecisiveness is not a virtue.
Quote:
An agnostic never has to make up his mind. While the die hard religious folks, and die hard atheists fight with each other convincing the other of each other follies, us agnostics keep an open mind always looking for the answers, realizing that some things are unanswerable!
Quote:
Im agnostic because the older I get and the more knowledgable I become, the less I feel that i know.

Exactly, we really don't know jack ****. If anyone tries to say they know something, they are the biggest fool of all.

There is no proof of anything. In fact, scientifically it is impossible for you to exist at all. Nothing should exist at all.

In order for anything to exist, something had to be created out of nothing. If we could create something out of nothing, it would destroy everything.

In my personal view, I don't believe it is even possible for us to ever find out why we exist at all. In order to prove it, we would have to have the power to recreate it.

Even if we separated the impossibility that is anything existing at all. The probability that the physical properties of our universe would be so properly "tuned" to allow for life to exist is such a ridiculously small number as to be practically impossible. Generally this physical nature is called the "cosmological constant"(especially the relationship of the varying forces that exist).

Hell, we don't even currently have a single theory that deals with the four forces that we know exist(weak force, strong force, gravity, electromagnetism).

Basically, we know absolutely nothing, and when I hear anyone pronounce they know something about the origins of life. It makes me cringe.

And I don't know where this atheist in the above post gets off calling us agnostics "weak-minded". If you consider a person weak for not prescribing to something that can't be proven. Then I would believe that the most intelligent people on this Earth would then have to be considered "weak-minded".

Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Well said but the diehards on either side absolutely must have answers to everything.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM

443 posts, read 600,560 times
Trey Parker, creator of south park, says it the best:

"Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever."-Trey Parker
source, wikipedia

Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,080 times
Quote:
An atheist claims something doesnt exist just because they cant see it, yet and agnostic acknowledges that it could possibly exist but wont be convinced until seeing it firsthand!
Agnostics just can't bring themselves to tell it like it is. It comes from trying to be nice. Only on some extreme theoretical level could you not say you don't know if there is a God or not. It's an almost meaningless exercise.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Agnostics just can't bring themselves to tell it like it is. It comes from trying to be nice. Only on some extreme theoretical level could you not say you don't know if there is a God or not. It's an almost meaningless exercise.
But you can't prove there is a God and you can't prove there isn't a God.
That is telling it like it is.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:46 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Trey Parker, creator of south park, says it the best:

"Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever."-Trey Parker
source, wikipedia
I'm pretty sure most scientists now think the universe will just continue to expand. The expansion is picking up speed, which leads them to believe that the big crunch won't happen.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
An atheist claims something doesnt exist just because they cant see it, yet and agnostic acknowledges that it could possibly exist but wont be convinced until seeing it firsthand!
Well it sort of makes sense doesn't it. Atheist, myself included, are convinced that god does not exist and are pretty much closed to any discussion to the contrary, while agnostics (by definition) have left the door open.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But you can't prove there is a God and you can't prove there isn't a God.
That is telling it like it is.
Yes you cannot disprove something that does not exist. We've been telling Christian lemmings this fact for Decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism