Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times

Advertisements

My godlessness is better than your godlessness, and I can prove it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I took the Trey Parker quote as being a shot at science. It seemed like he was saying that the scientific account, even though he got it wrong, was more silly than a religious account. To me that's just dumb. But anyway, not really a big deal.

On a side note, I always think that it is interesting how people need absolute evidence to believe almost anything actually happened except when it comes to religion and God. To me it seems like most people should be atheist until God proved his or her existence.
Trey Parker's quote isn't a shot at science. He is saying that for him to believe that the universe to just be happen out of nothing, to create complex life forms like you and I, just out of cause, sounds silly. Meaning that he finds that that there must be something behind the amazing creation of the universe. To believe that it all just happened out of cause sounds silly.

I agree with him. I would say that I actually do hold a faith. I have faith that the universe just didn't happen just "because". Maybe I am stupid for having that faith. If so, so be it.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Gotta make up your mind at some point.
We'll all find out soon enough.

[agnostic]

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Trey Parker's quote isn't a shot at science. He is saying that for him to believe that the universe to just be happen out of nothing, to create complex life forms like you and I, just out of cause, sounds silly. Meaning that he finds that that there must be something behind the amazing creation of the universe. To believe that it all just happened out of cause sounds silly.

I agree with him. I would say that I actually do hold a faith. I have faith that the universe just didn't happen just "because". Maybe I am stupid for having that faith. If so, so be it.
Well said.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
I would consider myself agnostic and find it humorous that others look at it as "not being able to make up my mind". Staunchly denying a higher power is the same as staunchly believing it. I am in the camp that the question is not answerable at this point in history, so making a decision is a moot point and also irrelevant to any higher powers existence. If there is a higher power that can create this universe, do you really believe it would need hero worship from us to feel validated? If anything, my definition of god is anything science cannot yet explain. Obviously that line will never be static so I must correct my own thoughts on the subject as I gather additional information.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You cannot prove it doesn't exist either so you are in the same boat as the Christians who do believe.
This is a common argument used against atheists, but it also opens up the philosophy that you believe in every figment of everyone's imagination, simply because you're convinced that, without evidence, it doesn't exist.
For example, I consider myself a non-believer in unicorns who shoot rainbows out of their rectums, because I've never seen one, and there is no evidence one has ever existed. But by your argument, you are a believer in rainbow-farting unicorns because you're convinced they don't exist.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post

And that's fine. That's faith. Science can't say why the universe happened, to do so wouldn't be scientific because it's not something that can be tested and proved. Science tries to explain things once everything started happening. Before that is anyone's guess.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is a common argument used against atheists, but it also opens up the philosophy that you believe in every figment of everyone's imagination, simply because you're convinced that, without evidence, it doesn't exist.
For example, I consider myself a non-believer in unicorns who shoot rainbows out of their rectums, because I've never seen one, and there is no evidence one has ever existed. But by your argument, you are a believer in rainbow-farting unicorns because you're convinced they don't exist.
Belief and proof are two different concepts.
Believe whatever you want.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
I am not an Atheist personally I hate religion I think of it that way. I believe its all fairy tale. I don't consider myself an Atheist because they claim there is proof god and satan don't exist etc but to me there is always a chance they might I just personally don't care. Organized religion is an opiate for the masses.
Agree with you totally, and I always thought the definition of agnostic was exactly what you describe. I've also heard a good additional concept of an agnostic, that even if a god (or gods) did exist, he (or they) don't care about human beings and have nothing to do with them.

Frankly, if I believed in a God that really watched what was going on here on earth, I'd think he was sadist. Unlike fairy tales, evil triumphs over good about 99% of the time from what I've seen, and the best people usually have lives of constant horrendous luck, bad breaks, and one-in-a-million devastating hits that take away everything they've earned, every time their hard work gets them ahead a little bit. Of course, had I been born into the wealthy upper class, I'd think the world was a place of perfection and I'd also be demanding "higher taxes for the rich" to ease my liberal guilt (without having a clue that the "rich" are working class highly educated professionals, not the trust-fund kids like me). That's probably why our elected aristocrats think things are MUCH better in America than they really are--for them, things ARE great.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I thought "not giving a crap about religious beliefs" was what atheism is.
It was before some dummies decided to make a negative assertion as a matter of faith the new definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism