Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,033 times

Advertisements

This issue is mich like other issues that evoke strong emotions from people. I draw a comparison to sports or music. Everyone likes their a particular artist or athlete and will vehemently promote their choice. I find it diffucult myself sometimes to keep my emotions in check when it comes to music and artists. I'm not a sports fan at all so I don't get riled up on monday mornings and engage in heated conversations with the rest of the sports crowd. As far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue. I look at other peoples religious beliefs in the same manner, it's of no concern to me and I don't bother to worry about or concern my self with things not under my control.

However, when it comes to their beliefs being forced on me and others, I do have a concern with that.

So when these issues arise people do tend to get very emotional and want their beliefs to be the prevailing factor and they want their beliefs executed in the form of certain practices that do affect us all. That seems to be the biggest complaint not just from atheists but from a lot of folks.

Religion needs to be treated like all other personal preferences, especially by government. Just the same as a sports team, musician or musical genre, food choice, clothing choice, etc. People need to stop getting hung up on what they feel is right and just regarding a topic that is no different from preferences for sports teams, music or restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,854,040 times
Question- Atheist Opposition to Cross

Well.........the Swastika is just another version of the christian cross. I suspect christerisms have done far more evil than good.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:04 PM

177 posts, read 139,192 times
No, it's not.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Yes, it is. The word for swastika in German is Hakenkreuz, which means hooked or broken cross.

So there.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,033 times
When in doubt, google

Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swa...ikahistory.htm

Old 09-02-2016, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 600 times
I'm an atheist and it doesn't bother me one tiny little bit if people want to put crosses places. If that symbolizes love and respect for them, then I'm all for it.

In fact, I have no objection to any religious anything, if it isn't being used to hate or oppress anyone or anything.

Forcing of their ideals on people riles me up a bit, but it could easily be argued that I merely live and judge by a set of morals and ethics, but who is to say I am right?

And last, but definitely not least, the majority of us Atheists know that we have nothing positive to sell (when you die you're wormfood mate, and if you ever feel alone, too bad, you are!), so we are kinda jealous of people who are able to believe in heaven and all that. It would never be an intention of a good Atheist to talk anyone out of their faith. Maybe talk them out of misrepresenting it, but who would be so cruel as to take God away from someone who has faith that He is part of their life. That would be a horrible thing to do.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:31 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,369,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinstephenbanks View Post
I'm an atheist and it doesn't bother me one tiny little bit if people want to put crosses places.
Yet we have laws about where people can ditch old bits of wood and the like. It is called Dumping and Litter laws. If I throw old wood on the side of the road, it is called breaking the law. If I hammer the wood into the shape of a cross first and leave it on the side of the wood it is called religion? How is that sensible?

Quote:
so we are kinda jealous of people who are able to believe in heaven and all that.
Speak for yourself I certainly do not feel that jealousy and the atheists I have met who have expressed feeling it are very few indeed, let along the "majority" you suggest.

Quote:
It would never be an intention of a good Atheist to talk anyone out of their faith.
I do not see why not. If I think people are in error on any subject, not just religion, I think it quite moral to aid them in divesting themselves of their delusion or error. I am not even sure what doctrines or creeds you might be defining a "good atheist" by. We have no central creeds or tenets. Sounds a bit religious to me the way they go around judging each other as to whether they are a "good christian" or not and who is "doing it right".

Old 09-03-2016, 01:59 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post

If you don't believe in God then how can a symbol of something you don't believe in to begin with possibly offend you?
Would you be OK if your town hall had this on it?

How about this....

Old 09-03-2016, 09:55 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post
I have a question for the Atheists, purely informational. This is in regards to a cross or other religious symbol being placed on government owned property, whether it be federal, state, local, etc.

I have always wondered why [some] atheists have such a problem with for example, a privately paid for cross being put on a public roadside in memory of a State Trooper that was killed there.

If you don't believe in God then how can a symbol of something you don't believe in to begin with possibly offend you? I can see (and understand) why some would have a problem with the government paying for such a monument but what does the average atheist care if a cross is paid for by a private indivudal and stuck in the ground? Are you offended that a gravestone in the shape of a cross would be marking a grave at Arlington, which is all federal property? If so why?

I have heard a number of Atheists say they don't care about "IN GOD WE TRUST" on money because the words mean nothing to them anyway. Why does it seem to be so different for a cross to some Atheists? Or is it a minority that has problems with this type of thing?

Please, I am not slamming your beliefs so please don't do that to me. We all have our beliefs and I respect yours so please respect mine. I am not here to debate the existence or not of God. Thanks
This discussion was had in a city I lived in some years ago when as a traffic safety reminder, signs with a cross were to be put up where fatalities occurred and left for a year. Objections were raised by other religious groups, and they came up with this:

Works for me, and not offensive to anyone from a religious point of view.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:47 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Several states have taken to removing the memorials or shrines beside the side of the road because they aren't just a simple item, like a cross or a marker. There was one not so far from here that had blinking solar lights, some carved figurines, mylar balloons, a 6' tall cross, an American flag on a pole, a picket fence and some planted shrubs.

I forget whether it was the state of county that removed it - nothing to do with religion, more with being a public hazard, particularly the blinking lights. It also interfered with mowing.

Granted the county/state has a right-of-way along the highway that can be considered public, but it actually isn't for the public's use as a statement or canvas, it is used for the safety of the roadway.

The family the put up the memorial objected and actually threatened to sue, but nothing came of it, probably because they couldn't find a lawyer to take any case - or couldn't find one who would take the case without charging a lot.

An interview with the family that lived there mentioned that the family thought it was pretty appalling to come home every day to such a shrine to someone's death (from drunk driving) right in front of their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism