Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 04:52 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times

Advertisements

Proper place to display symbols of religious beliefs would not be on publicly owned property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinstephenbanks View Post
I'm an atheist and it doesn't bother me one tiny little bit if people want to put crosses places. If that symbolizes love and respect for them, then I'm all for it.

In fact, I have no objection to any religious anything, if it isn't being used to hate or oppress anyone or anything.

Forcing of their ideals on people riles me up a bit, but it could easily be argued that I merely live and judge by a set of morals and ethics, but who is to say I am right?

And last, but definitely not least, the majority of us Atheists know that we have nothing positive to sell (when you die you're wormfood mate, and if you ever feel alone, too bad, you are!), so we are kinda jealous of people who are able to believe in heaven and all that. It would never be an intention of a good Atheist to talk anyone out of their faith. Maybe talk them out of misrepresenting it, but who would be so cruel as to take God away from someone who has faith that He is part of their life. That would be a horrible thing to do.
you are kind of right and kind of wrong.

I tend to lean on your side of the fence. I am not afraid of religion I am afraid of people. Like: I don't fear guns, but I am very careful around them. I do get nervous when people are running around with guns.

Religion is exactly the same.

Being a fundamentalist is a personality disorder not a statement of belief. Different personalities express beliefs in a manner that reflex their personality. All large groups of people have a mixture of personalities and the larger the group the more "mix".

Yes, some atheist express their belief exactly like fundy-mental theist. But they are needed, we just shouldn't let them be the poster people. And remember, some "haters" were abused. There is nothing you can do to explain your stance to many of those abused children that grow up.

I stand against people that force a belief on others. Sometimes that is atheists and sometimes that is theist. There never should be a law based on "god said so" ... never.

"god bless you have a nice day." is way different than
'God is watching and waiting for you to mess up!"

Old 09-04-2016, 06:25 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Proper place to display symbols of religious beliefs would not be on publicly owned property.
let the county decide that.
even the state would be to big IMHO

Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
I'm an atheist and it doesn't bother me one tiny little bit if people want to put crosses places. If that symbolizes love and respect for them, then I'm all for it.

In fact, I have no objection to any religious anything, if it isn't being used to hate or oppress anyone or anything.

Forcing of their ideals on people riles me up a bit, but it could easily be argued that I merely live and judge by a set of morals and ethics, but who is to say I am right?

And last, but definitely not least, the majority of us Atheists know that we have nothing positive to sell (when you die you're wormfood mate, and if you ever feel alone, too bad, you are!), so we are kinda jealous of people who are able to believe in heaven and all that. It would never be an intention of a good Atheist to talk anyone out of their faith. Maybe talk them out of misrepresenting it, but who would be so cruel as to take God away from someone who has faith that He is part of their life. That would be a horrible thing to do.
Stating the obvious, but I have $1000 on this person not being an atheist.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:46 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,487,959 times
I personally don't care. I have bigger things to worried about.

Only time I really care is when someone who is religious finds out I'm an atheist and then starts to talk down or bad to my face or I catch wind of it. Other than that...you do what you want, let me do what I want.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:29 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times
Quote:

What is negative about becoming worm food? I can't think of a more magnificent way to give back to this earth that nourished us our whole lives.

Every atom that we are constituted from came from somewhere, and every atom we decompose to will go somewhere after it is used for the nourishment of worms, beetles, bugs or plants. What a perfect way to know you will be reincarnated in various forms long after you are dead.

What is negative about that wonderful thought? The only other way you possibly live on is that some of your DNA is in your offspring and their offspring in the future. How cool is that? Right?

No magical critters needed, all based on reality.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:36 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times
Quote:

Forcing of their ideals on people riles me up a bit, ...

Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times
To me, it is not about the cross. It is about the proper use of public property. I don't believe it should be used for personal issues. Religion is personal and not universal to the public taxpayers. Trees and bushes could be used in place of personal symbols.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
To me, it is not about the cross. It is about the proper use of public property. I don't believe it should be used for personal issues. Religion is personal and not universal to the public taxpayers. Trees and bushes could be used in place of personal symbols.
Problem with that is that the god-botherers think they own the whole universe. Great thundering herds of arrogance follow from that.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:58 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Meh. I don't care if they want to put crap on the roadside after a crash...as long as they go back and clean it up after a bit, otherwise it's litter that our tax dollars have to pay to clean up. If their little shrine includes a cross symbol, that's their choice. I think it's kind of stupid, but if it makes them feel better...but they still gotta clean it up after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism