Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
What do atheist, particularly 'American atheist' do to help support people in need, with money etc.?

Many, if not all, churches do help people in need, such as donating stuff to the poor, to the homeless, sick and targeted people. They even cook meals for those many hungry people out there.
I'll just leave these here:

Kiva - Loans that change lives

reddit.com/r/Atheism's Fundraising Page

That last website raised over $150,000 in 24 hours recently. And I'm not sure what you're asserting, but to suggest that atheists don't volunteer is pretty ridiculous.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
It's simply another uninformed and prejudicial slur against atheists. I give to Native American charities to try and make up for what all the good Christians of yesteryear did to them. I also donate heavily to humane societies (since cats are "furpeople").

Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Christians help themselves first, with these monuments they build to demonstrate their ignorance by worshiping bronze age fictional characters.

They spend a great deal of money sending people to spread their bronze age ignorance into other cultures.

There are three professions that make their living with their mouth, politicians, preachers and prostitutes, and I support none of them with my $$$.

Atheists donate to charities where a much greater portion goes to actually helping people. Atheist actually get off their butt and go an do something to help others.
That's really not entirely true Asheville. Yes, some of it is true. There is a lot of "preaching" or trying to spread the word. There is no doubt about that. But some Christians "missions" do actually include hands-on help that does require them to "get off their butts".

If you were to say not enough Christians get off their butts, I couldn't argue with that, but I know at least some do.

And some actually volunteer with projects outside of their church groups, as well.

I think it's wrong to assume that atheists don't do good works as the OP has, but I also think it's wrong to think that all Christians are as you described up above.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Calling worshipping Jesus Christ bronze-age just show how lack of knowledge you have in everything, and how ignorant you are.
Please get educated, then come and talk. You don't know what you're talking about.
BTW God still loves atheists.
Oh, this is rich, you defend bronze age comic book characters by calling me ignorant.

I realize you are like most, you're a victim of childhood programming by parents that were also programmed in a vicious line of willful ignorance.
They told you about Santa, and Jesus.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
That's really not entirely true Asheville. Yes, some of it is true. There is a lot of "preaching" or trying to spread the word. There is no doubt about that. But some Christians "missions" do actually include hands-on help that does require them to "get off their butts".

If you were to say not enough Christians get off their butts, I couldn't argue with that, but I know at least some do.

And some actually volunteer with projects outside of their church groups, as well.

I think it's wrong to assume that atheists don't do good works as the OP has, but I also think it's wrong to think that all Christians are as you described up above.
If we were allowed signature lines here on C-D (as many other forums allow) I would probably have a foot note that my issues is only with the minority of christians, but that minority still represent a large number of people, a number large enough to pose a real threat to society.

Numbers large enough to effect the outcome of elections, to achieve moderate success in enacting the bias and hate from religion into laws that effect society as a whole. We (society) are legislating discrimination against specific groups of people made possible by this significant minority.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM

87 posts, read 120,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh, this is rich, you defend bronze age comic book characters by calling me ignorant.

I realize you are like most, you're a victim of childhood programming by parents that were also programmed in a vicious line of willful ignorance.
They told you about Santa, and Jesus.
You still continue to be ignorant, because you don't know anything better.
All I have to say is read the bible.

Jesus is a wonderful man who saved us all and taught us good stuff.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 AM

87 posts, read 120,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It has become quite clear to me from your many posts, Lucy, that you have no intention of learning anything or of dispelling your erroneous assumptions about atheists. It seems that all you want to do is throw around your hatred and bigotry and try to justify said hatred and bigotry. I feel very bad for you and hope you find peace one day. It might be easier to find said peace if you actually listen to all the answers that you are given and to open up your mind to the possiblity that all these things that you have made up might be incorrect. There is no excuse for ignorance when knowledge has been handed to you.
I'm very educated person and know the truth, unlike most atheist who are uneducated, ignorant and had bad life, that's why they have no faith, which I feel bad for those people. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to go to heaven and paradise, and not everyone deserves it. That's peoples individual problem.

You don't need to feel bad for me, I have a faith in Christ and God, and I'm the one who will go to heaven

God Bless

PS! 2.3 billion Christians cannot be wrong.... so get over youself.
We're by FAR the majority, not atheist who only are 1.6% of the population vs. 80% Christians and over 90% who believe in God.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
PS! 2.3 billion Christians cannot be wrong....
....but the 4.7 billion that don't believe in your god CAN be wrong.....right?

Quote:
We're by FAR the majority,....
The World consists of more than just the USA you know. ON a World scale, Christians are a minority.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
After pondering the initial post it's clear that this post was intended to lump a group of people together and draw some kind of comparison or assumption that the act of "doing," or the lack of doing, is inherent to and a characteristic of that particular group.

I may be wrong about the inference I'm drawing, but based on that inference it clearly wreaks of bias and prejudice aimed at atheists.

What actions people take or don't take are not in any way shape or form associated with their atheism, or their religious beliefs for that matter. It is dependant on their individual frames of reference and personal preferences.There are enough self proclaimed "christians" who are very callous and cold hearted to go around. And lets not get into the criminal behaviour of these christian types, for heaven's sake.

Seems like just one more ignorant attempt to attack atheists with flawed logic.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
I'm very educated person and know the truth, unlike most atheist who are uneducated, ignorant and had bad life, that's why they have no faith, which I feel bad for those people. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to go to heaven and paradise, and not everyone deserves it. That's peoples individual problem.

You don't need to feel bad for me, I have a faith in Christ and God, and I'm the one who will go to heaven

God Bless

PS! 2.3 billion Christians cannot be wrong.... so get over youself.
We're by FAR the majority, not atheist who only are 1.6% of the population vs. 80% Christians and over 90% who believe in God.

2.3 billion is less than 1/3 of the earths population.

2,011 yrs after the death of Christ and less than 1/3 is the best they can do? Looks like the message isn't getting thru.

If you were to take out all the non-practicing Christians, who only claim Christianity due to family tradition, the number would be much less than 1/3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism