Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 AM

87 posts, read 120,288 times

Advertisements

What do atheist, particularly 'American atheist' do to help support people in need, with money etc.?

Many, if not all, churches do help people in need, such as donating stuff to the poor, to the homeless, sick and targeted people. They even cook meals for those many hungry people out there.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,740 times
I don't know if the "American Atheist" you mentioned is an organization that has as a purpose to support people in need with money. I'm not aware of what benevolent intentions are inherently tied to any organization.

Now as far as what athiests do for those who are needy, I can't speak for other athiets, but I contribute in the form of money and actions to those in need, I have also participated in church sponsored activities and events for the needy, bu tthat doesn't change my atheism of my feelings towards churches and religion.

Helping the needy and religious beliefs or the lack of religious beliefs are two completely different concepts and subjects.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
OP: you simply had to do a 10-second search to get a slew of answers. Here is one:

Atheists are the most generous

From above source:
The current most charitable individuals in the United States, based on “Estimated Lifetime Giving,” are:
1) Warren Buffett (atheist, donated $40.785 billion to “health, education, humanitarian causes”)
2) Bill & Melinda Gates (atheists, donated $27.602 billion to “global health and development, education”)
3) George Soros (atheist, donated $6.936 billion to “open and democratic societies”)

Note all this was/ is being done simply because they WANT TO donate, not because this gets them "brownie" points with a supposed lord.

Last edited by calmdude; 12-12-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Note all this was/ is being done simply because they WANT TO donate, not because this gets them "brownie" points with a supposed lord.
And the tax write offs are another incentive

Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
What do atheist, particularly 'American atheist' do to help support people in need, with money etc.?

Many, if not all, churches do help people in need, such as donating stuff to the poor, to the homeless, sick and targeted people. They even cook meals for those many hungry people out there.
I answered this question for you more than an hour ago, in another thread where you were bitterly complaining that all atheists do is waste money on billboards and that we never do anything to help anyone.

Guess you didn't bother to actually read my response, since here you are asking a question which has already been very much answered for you. You're not going to get a response you like more than mine here, sorry.

Since you seem to have forgotten or conveniently ignored it, here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Because churches never put up billboards, amiright? RIGHT? Let me challenge you with this: go to your church's accountant, and look at the financial records for your church. Compare the amount of the church's income with the amount that actually ends up going to help people and I'm betting it's in the low single-digits, and probably less than 5% of the church's income.

Lie. You certainly haven't tried to find out if we've ever helped anyone. If you had, you'd have found reams of evidence that atheists are among the most generous philanthropists in the country. In fact, the online atheist community over on reddit is the largest online contributing community this year for Doctors Without Borders, utterly smashing their religious counterparts.

Irreverent atheists crowdsource charitable giving | Reuters

You're right, there isn't a person like Jesus in history -- not even Jesus himself.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:

By your example I presume you mean as a group rather than on an individual basis.

I am not sure if there are any organized atheist organizations that take a particular charity under their wing, but as the other replies have demonstrated, most non-religious people do have a sense of responsibility and do donate on a personal level.

Speaking for myself, I generally donate to animal welfare organizations since they cannot get jobs and take care of themselves, like humans can. I have been known to assist humans on a one-to-one basis without the benefit of a duly appointed "organization" to dole out my charity for me. I am not opposed to dropping a sawbuck on a scruffy homeless dude once in a while.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:

Christians help themselves first, with these monuments they build to demonstrate their ignorance by worshiping bronze age fictional characters.

They spend a great deal of money sending people to spread their bronze age ignorance into other cultures.

There are three professions that make their living with their mouth, politicians, preachers and prostitutes, and I support none of them with my $$$.

Atheists donate to charities where a much greater portion goes to actually helping people. Atheist actually get off their butt and go an do something to help others.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:

Do you think that you can only donote through religious organizations? Because that would be a misnomer. There are many secular orgs in which to donate, volunteer and help out.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times
There are atheists in my church who regularly volunteer at the local soup kitchen, among other giving opportunities. One of them, a man who is the executive director at an assistance program in the Chicago Southside area, described to me that giving to and doing for others is his religion. This same man spent some time in Haiti helping re-build homes and lives there as well.

Like 20yrsinBranson, my sister (an atheist) helps the animals. And she takes her grandkids (who are Christians) to the local Humane Society to deliver things from their Christmas Wish List.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,544 times
Quote:

Personally, I chose a career in healthcare and work directly with people in need...largely because I am an Atheist and believe nothings more worthwhile than assisting someone on their relatively brief moment on Earth.

You won't find me in a soup kitchen though, as I feel little sympathy for people who let their life spiral out of control. There's too many diseases that truly rob people of their experience here - and those are who I want to help.

Besides, 2 out of the 3 times I've tried doing something nice for the homeless, it nearly resulted in my death. I'll never again offer to take a homeless person out for dinner..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism