Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Thanks. I think somewhere on another thread someone pointed out to me that there is a difference in the definition of "hypothesis" in a science dictionary versus a standard disctionarly. That may be the reason for some confusion.
Quote:
Definition of HYPOTHESIS (Websters)
a : an assumption or concession made for the sake of argument b : an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action
: a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences
: the antecedent clause of a conditional statement
While a scientific hypothesis may have a lot more science - support (e g for Dark matter or string theory) than a guess based on some personal assumptions, it has the same result - an idea proposed for verification.

However, 'Theory' has two different (scientific and popular) applications:

Quote:
Definition of THEORY
: the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
: abstract thought : speculation
: the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art <music theory>
a : a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action <her method is based on the theory that all children want to learn> b : an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances —often used in the phrase in theory <in theory, we have always advocated freedom for all>
: a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena <the wave theory of light>
a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation b : an unproved assumption : conjecture
The term 'fact' is used twice. Also 'scientifically acceptable - which also implies fact. There are some theories - light, gravity, relativity and, of course, evolution, which are regarded as based of evidentially demonstrated facts.

While there are always open to new evidence, dismissing them as 'just a theory' is a rhetorical trick, specifically equivocation - using meaning 2 or 6 a (speculation/unproved assumption) to denigrate science theory under meanings 1,3 or 5.

Fiddling around with definitions to try to make a point rhetorically is very common in the theism debate but is actually rather discreditable. We would much rather talk facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
While a scientific hypothesis may have a lot more science - support (e g for Dark matter or string theory) than a guess based on some personal assumptions, it has the same result - an idea proposed for verification.

However, 'Theory' has two different (scientific and popular) applications:

The term 'fact' is used twice. Also 'scientifically acceptable - which also implies fact. There are some theories - light, gravity, relativity and, of course, evolution, which are regarded as based of evidentially demonstrated facts.

While there are always open to new evidence, dismissing them as 'just a theory' is a rhetorical trick, specifically equivocation - using meaning 2 or 6 a (speculation/unproved assumption) to denigrate science theory under meanings 1,3 or 5.

Fiddling around with definitions to try to make a point rhetorically is very common in the theism debate but is actually rather discreditable. We would much rather talk facts.
It is also a dishonest way to debate.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity0169 View Post
You can't reconcile the concepts of science and faith. Or can you? In doing so, I often try to define faith, pin it down as a corporeal thing that can be measured. We're told something doesn't "exist" if you can't confirm it with your tactile senses. But we define that existence, and our own, subjectively. Is the same to be said of faith, of people's subjective experience of god? Are we just dismissing that because it's not compatible with a scientific system which we, as a race, invented in the first place?

Your thoughts.
I was in India in October and came across this...

Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
That's a teaching from the Baha'i faith.

If you ever get to Chicago, you might be interested in the North American Temple there. Baha'i has one only 7 temples around the world

Baha'i House of Worship - Chicago, USA

Baha’i Temples around the world – Bahai Faith | Baha'i Faith | United States Official Website

Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's a teaching from the Baha'i faith.

If you ever get to Chicago, you might be interested in the North American Temple there. Baha'i has one only 7 temples around the world

Baha'i House of Worship - Chicago, USA

Baha’i Temples around the world – Bahai Faith | Baha'i Faith | United States Official Website
I've seen the temple in Chicago. It's quite beautiful.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
The Baha'i Temple I visited in New Delhi (India), Lotus Temple:

Old 12-29-2011, 03:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I've seen the temple in Chicago. It's quite beautiful.
I was within walking distance of that temple. My walking club used to walk from Dempster and the Lake up to the Baha'i every Sunday. The grounds are beautiful and we have a lot of pictures in the gardens. The founder of the club died at 70 and her memorial was held in the Temple.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I was within walking distance of that temple. My walking club used to walk from Dempster and the Lake up to the Baha'i every Sunday. The grounds are beautiful and we have a lot of pictures in the gardens. The founder of the club died at 70 and her memorial was held in the Temple.
It is a really remarkable building, no doubt about it. Sorry about the death of your friend.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

Perhaps in some cases that is true and in other cases, it's just an honest mistake or misunderstanding of which definiton one is thinking of.

Thanks for posting that information.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,048 times
The pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism