Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Where did you get that idea?
The only thing you can know about atheists is that they lack one particular belief (belief in gods).
The following quote from Stephen F. Roberts sums up the situation very nicely:
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:22 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,855 times
Quote:
Where did you get that idea? The only thing you can know about atheists is that they lack one particular belief (belief in gods). Just because you lack belief in god does not mean that you don't believe in various other things. You would just have to ask each individual atheist what they believe since there are no official "atheist beliefs." If you lack belief in big foot does that mean that you believe in nothing?
Good answer. The only thing us atheist have in common is not believing in gods. All other things we have in common are just because we are human.

Cheers, Aeroman

Last edited by Aeroman; 12-17-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Atheists don't believe in god(s). There are no other beliefs that could be considered "atheist".
I don't entirely agree, but in part it depends on what you think a god is.

For instance, Christians don't consider angels gods, but all the reasons that atheists don't believe in any gods would also apply to angels. The same for fairies, leprechauns, trolls, spirits in trees or other parts of nature, or any other posited being or entity that is not purely physical.

By the same token, it's hard to imagine an atheist who has thought very much about it believing in spirits, souls, ghosts, or reincarnation.

I know that there are some atheists who are willing to talk about spiritual or soul-like entities or experiences, but when you examine the ideas closely they are mostly either not thinking about it deeply enough or, as in the case of talking about spiritual experiences, using the word metaphorically to talk about emotional or aesthetic experiences.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The same for trolls...
I believe in trolls for I have evidenced them with mine own eyes

Old 12-17-2011, 04:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesWideOpen219 View Post
Its amazing how even when you ask people to be polite in threads there are still some in the world that have to make some snide remark. Thanks Mightyqueen and Rafius your completley usless points were made hope you feel better about your bitter self's now
I wouldn't regard them as useless points. They are useful points.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesWideOpen219 View Post
Ok to start this is not an attack on athiests or anyone for that matter so lets try and keep it polite

Iv always kinda assumed that athiest's generally believe in nothing,
not only when it comes to god but also aliens and life exhisting in the universe but the more i think about it im sure thats not the case, so my question is to the athiests, what exactly are your beliefs when it comes to god and aliens etc..do you believe in one and not the other or niether?
There are many gods you don't believe in, I simply believe in 1 less, and with that goes all the baggage of the ancient superstitions about the one you do believe in.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:04 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,424 times
Quote:
I don't entirely agree, but in part it depends on what you think a god is.

For instance, Christians don't consider angels gods, but all the reasons that atheists don't believe in any gods would also apply to angels. The same for fairies, leprechauns, trolls, spirits in trees or other parts of nature, or any other posited being or entity that is not purely physical.

By the same token, it's hard to imagine an atheist who has thought very much about it believing in spirits, souls, ghosts, or reincarnation.

I know that there are some atheists who are willing to talk about spiritual or soul-like entities or experiences, but when you examine the ideas closely they are mostly either not thinking about it deeply enough or, as in the case of talking about spiritual experiences, using the word metaphorically to talk about emotional or aesthetic experiences.
Being an atheist does not preclude one from believing in the supernatural in general....just not gods. Atheists can believe in all sorts of off the wall things such as ghosts, big foot, aliens, reincarnation, esp, etc. For example, many buddhists are atheists, and they believe in reincarnation. I have a family member (an uncle) who is a lifelong atheist, but believed in ghosts up until a few years ago (and he is 67).

Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,892,827 times
Quote:
but all the reasons that atheists don't believe in any gods would also apply to angels.
First, let me be clear that I don't believe in anything supernatural (angels, ghosts, spirits, etc, included). And I acknowledge that that is true for many atheists as well, but a person can be an atheist and still believe in the supernatural as long as one does not believe in god(s). There are some that do.

Second, your sentence gives the impression that you think atheists have the same reasons for not believing in god(s). That is just not true. In the West, many of us atheists are atheists for rational, skeptical, maybe even scientific reasons. But, that is not true of all atheists in the West and certainly not for all atheists in general. As much as we might wish all atheists were rational, skeptical, scientific, etc, it just isn't true.

So, again, the only thing one can safely assume all atheists have in common is not believing in the existence of god(s).

Old 12-17-2011, 05:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Being an atheist does not preclude one from believing in the supernatural in general....just not gods. Atheists can believe in all sorts of off the wall things such as ghosts, big foot, aliens, reincarnation, esp, etc. For example, many buddhists are atheists, and they believe in reincarnation. I have a family member (an uncle) who is a lifelong atheist, but believed in ghosts up until a few years ago (and he is 67).
I know many do, but I don't. At one point I probably would have said that I did, but that may have been partly due to the fact my mother, an atheist, did. In retrospect, it is as irrational as gods.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
So, again, the only thing one can safely assume all atheists have in common is not believing in the existence of god(s).
Whereas agnostics consider this sort of absolute position to be just as absurd and unsupportable
(asserting a negative) as the underlying assertions within any of the various religions are.

What the two views do have in common though is a rather complete incredulity
as regards the religious interpretations of what "god" might be.

And the more specific, the more absolute, that religious dogma gets in it's assertions of the (so far) unprovable...
not only the less credibility it has... but the less it can have.

hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism