Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
None that I know of. It's pretty much people who had it drilled into them in their childhood and never thought about it enough to reject what they'd been told.

Personal experience is among the worst reasons to believe in any factual proposition.
I wasn't suggesting that it was a good "reason" to believe. I was saying that we believe when we are convinced to believe that something is true (whatever form that may take) If it is a personal experience which convinces someone that something is true, then they believe. I was not originally discussing why people believe what they do, but just whether or not they believe......period (for whatever reason).

When I said that "being an atheist does not preclude one from believing in the supernatural in general....just not gods. Atheists can believe in all sorts of off the wall things such as ghosts, big foot, aliens, reincarnation, esp, etc", you said:

Quote:
Still, you'd have to be pretty softheaded to reject any claims of god for lack of evidence but still believe in ghosts or reincarnation.
I was just trying to point out that atheists can and do believe in various things that many try to suggest that they, as atheists, cannot or do not believe in. I wasn't trying to allude to the reasonableness of a belief, but just wanted to let people know that atheists can and do believe in such things because they have been convinced to believe it (for whatever "good" or "bad" reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesWideOpen219 View Post
Ok to start this is not an attack on athiests or anyone for that matter so lets try and keep it polite

Iv always kinda assumed that athiest's generally believe in nothing, not only when it comes to god but also aliens and life exhisting in the universe but the more i think about it im sure thats not the case, so my question is to the athiests, what exactly are your beliefs when it comes to god and aliens etc..do you believe in one and not the other or niether?
99% of our dictionaries define atheism solely as either a lack of belief in God or the belief that there is no God (two definitions one should always remember are quite different).

I do not believe there is a God, which doesn't mean I actively believe there ISN'T one. I think there COULD be, but I don't believe there is.

I do believe in an afterlife and that in some way, good deeds and evil deeds "here on Earth" will affect us in the afterlife. I pretty much paint the afterlife to be what I want it to be, but at least I admit it.

I believe in a single, destined romantic love.

I'm not yet sure if I believe in a destined CALLING.

I do believe in ghosts because I'm quite sure I've seen one. But I don't have a theory on what they really are.

I don't have a faith either for/against life on other planets or in space.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,496 times
Atheism is one thing: get a dictionary. You have liberal atheists, conservative atheists, vegan atheists, atheists that are in open relationships, and atheists that believe in monogamy. Ok?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Atheists believe that JESUS is the one TRUE GOD and came down from the heavens to FORGIVE US FOR OUR SINS after the FALL!!!!! We believe that JESUS is the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON of God and is our LORD AND SAVIOR - AMEN!!!!!!!!!!@ we believe that HE took it upon himself to DIE on the CROSS as the ULTIMATE SACRAFICE and that GOD will except ALL those who EXCEPT JESUS into their HEARTs!1!@→→→→✞✞←←←←! we believe the BIBLE is the TRUE INSPIRED WORD OF GOD and every word is TRUT!H! all atheists BELIVE in this because they KNOW its TRUTH and value the written WORD of GOd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!✟✟✟✟ those who deny his POWER and TRUTH will burn in ETERNAL HELL for all ETERNALITY and will beg for his MERCY!!!!!!!!!!!! ✟✟✟✟✟

Wait for it... Wait for it... You're going to piece it together now... Ahhhh... I think I managed a grin... Yep... There it is... A giggle... And giggles always lead to laughter...

Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Atheism is one thing: get a dictionary.
Atheism means get a dictionary???

Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Atheism means get a dictionary???
Lol! Atheism is the belief that dictionaries exist.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Speaking of dictionaries, did you know that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
It's spelled 'gullibibble'...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
I'm not falling for that one.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
It isn't?

Definition of GULLIBLE

: easily duped or cheated

— gull·ibil·i·ty noun
— gull·ibly adverb

See gullible defined for English-language learners »

See gullible defined for kids »

Variants of GULLIBLE

gull·ible also gull·able

Examples of GULLIBLE

1. I'm not gullible enough to believe something that outrageous.
  2. They sell overpriced souvenirs to gullible tourists.

First Known Use of GULLIBLE

(Websters)

Have I just fallen into some rhetorical trap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism