Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Abrahamic religion do you like the most overall?
Christianity 16 43.24%
Islam 5 13.51%
Judaism 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,976,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The Quakers. Socially and politically active, an open and tolerant form of Christianity. People who believe their relationship with God ( which is an introverted , deeply personal one not done for "show")means they should be Good people rather than preachy and evangelical.

I know a lot of Quakers and have a huge respect for them. I admire their stance on social issues and their hard work and commitment to others without having to sell their "truth" to the rest of the world.

Good , modest, unassuming people. The way we ideally should all be. And Christianity at its best.
There are a few different sects of Quakers. I knew a lot of people affiliated with a liberal Quaker meeting for a number of years. I attended a few meetings, debated a bit of philosophy, participated in a couple of weddings. By and large I agree with you.

But there is also a conservative branch of Quakerism that scared the liberals that I associated with. I don't really know much about it, but my impression is that they are almost more analogous to the Amish, albeit with the lack of hierarchy more or less followed by other Quakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 05:13 PM

63 posts, read 52,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Been there. Done that. Know a few people who still do.
That's interesting, you were once a pagan/Wiccan?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 AM

172 posts, read 297,209 times
Admiration has connotations. I don't admire any religion.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 AM

31 posts, read 35,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
None of them. All religions seek to control people and all religions are a scourge on humanity.
Couldnt agree with you more....but if i HAD to choose though it would be buddhism then again i dont see that as a religeon
and they dont believe in a god more a way of life.

without a doubt i wouldnt go near the supplied religeons.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:55 AM

63 posts, read 52,931 times
Quote:
None of them. All religions seek to control people and all religions are a scourge on humanity.
I disagree that that is true of *all* religions per se.

From what I know of Wicca (which is recognised and established as a religion) I don't believe it seeks to control people; in fact, I think its followers have a great amount of freedom.

From what I know of Buddhism, I would say I think the same is true for that.

I also don't think either of those two religions are a scourge, but that's just my own view.

My central point is, though, that while there are religions that do try to control people, I don't feel this is true for something like Wicca (or Buddhism) and I feel it unfair to include those in the same breath as the others.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:43 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
There are a few different sects of Quakers. I knew a lot of people affiliated with a liberal Quaker meeting for a number of years. I attended a few meetings, debated a bit of philosophy, participated in a couple of weddings. By and large I agree with you.

But there is also a conservative branch of Quakerism that scared the liberals that I associated with. I don't really know much about it, but my impression is that they are almost more analogous to the Amish, albeit with the lack of hierarchy more or less followed by other Quakers.
I must admit, I have never met any hardliners Quakers so I can't comment. I have always found Quakers to be rational, almost humanistic in their approach to religion. Extreme Quakerism almost seems an Oxymoron but I will take your word for it !

Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
That's interesting, you were once a pagan/Wiccan?
No. I was married to one. I went to a few holiday celebrations in the same way many people go to church with their parents or spouse on Christmas. However in this case the religious ceremony involved getting naked and jumping over a fire.

I never believed in any of it, and always thought that it was quite silly. But many of the people I knew believed in it with the same devotion of any modern day, bible believing born again christian.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I must admit, I have never met any hardliners Quakers so I can't comment. I have always found Quakers to be rational, almost humanistic in their approach to religion. Extreme Quakerism almost seems an Oxymoron but I will take your word for it !
I have never met any personally either. It is my understanding that they are limited to a relatively small geographical area. Perhaps in Ohio?

In any case, the liberal Quakers that I knew were definitely appalled by them, in the same way that they were appalled by southern Baptists.

I guess it just shows that any religious sect can be schismatic.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,702,489 times
I think dancing naked around trees then having an orgy might be a fun type of religion. As long as I can drink wine as well

Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I think dancing naked around trees then having an orgy might be a fun type of religion. As long as I can drink wine as well
Well, it wasn't a bad way to pass the evening. More entertaining that midnight mass for sure.

There was definitely wine. Or beer. Or something. Probably song too, so I guess I did have my wine, women and song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism