Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
And your point is....?
Sounds like a different version of "Well, the (insert religious book/leader here) says..." to me.

What's so wrong with admitting that we just don't know it all yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
I'm possibly throwing myself in at the deep end here, but I must admit that faeries and sprites are creatures that I believe it's possible may exist. I don't necessarily think they exist on our plane of existence, but I do believe there are other worlds/planes where such creatures are in existence. I've got a friend (same age as myself) who shares the same opinon as me.

One thing I don't believe, though, is that the world is flat.
Infidel! You must be roasted over a bunsen burner for your heresy!

But yea, who knows what else is out there? The multiverse is a BIG place.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM

63 posts, read 53,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Infidel! You must be roasted over a bunsen burner for your heresy!
Ah, but us occultists can easily find a ready source of protection spells.

Quote:
But yea, who knows what else is out there? The multiverse is a BIG place.
What are your thoughts on the multiverse theory and the many-worlds interpretation? I see no reason why it can't be possible. No one really knows of course, but I certainly think that it is indeed possible that there exists many alternate and parallel universes/realities.

I think Hugh Everett first coined the term 'MWI' (although I may be wrong.) In his hypothesis, I believe he surmised something like that whenever an individual made a choice, there formed an alternate world in which they made the opposite choice - that there's a separate world for each choice people could have made. So quite literally, there would be zillions and zillions!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,957 times
Quote:
Sounds like a different version of "Well, the (insert religious book/leader here) says..." to me.

What's so wrong with admitting that we just don't know it all yet?
Oh for cripes sake. That's what I said! To quote: "I form my opinions based on what I know NOW. When science adds other knowns to the knowledge base, I will adjust accordingly. " I know NOW that the speed of light is the fastest speed KNOWN TO MAN. When and if something faster is discovered and documented, I will then know and accept that. What part of this is so hard for you to understand? I freely admit that we don't know all there is to know.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Oh for cripes sake. That's what I said! To quote: "I form my opinions based on what I know NOW. When science adds other knowns to the knowledge base, I will adjust accordingly. " I know NOW that the speed of light is the fastest speed KNOWN TO MAN. When and if something faster is discovered and documented, I will then know and accept that. What part of this is so hard for you to understand? I freely admit that we don't know all there is to know.
I see what you are saying. You follow the laws of science as society currently knows and understands them, but you are aware that they may change in the future and when/if that happens, you will change your ideas accordingly. That's natural and sensible.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I see what you are saying. You follow the laws of science as society currently knows and understands them, but you are aware that they may change in the future and when/if that happens, you will change your ideas accordingly. That's natural and sensible.
Thank you! With one little change. I wouldn't say I follow the laws of science so much as I accept them. They are what they are. I follow the laws of the land. For the most part. I do go over the speed limit on occasion but never faster than the speed of light!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I follow the laws of the land. For the most part. I do go over the speed limit on occasion but never faster than the speed of light!
Your liar you, I saw you in your car going MUCH faster than the speed of light!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM

Did you have on your special extraterrestrial-faster-than-light speed detecting goggles? Damn, now the secret is out!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Oh, I have my methods...but they're for me to know and you to find out!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Ah, but us occultists can easily find a ready source of protection spells.

What are your thoughts on the multiverse theory and the many-worlds interpretation? I see no reason why it can't be possible. No one really knows of course, but I certainly think that it is indeed possible that there exists many alternate and parallel universes/realities.

I think Hugh Everett first coined the term 'MWI' (although I may be wrong.) In his hypothesis, I believe he surmised something like that whenever an individual made a choice, there formed an alternate world in which they made the opposite choice - that there's a separate world for each choice people could have made. So quite literally, there would be zillions and zillions!
I'd imagine we only see/know of a fraction of a percent of everything there is at best. Me thinks we hairless apes think much too highly of ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism