Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Please post all and any reason or questions you have that give you a reason not to believe. My purpose here is to try and see if people have any good points I have not seen or heard before and I think it would also be interesting to see people's perspectives.

Please try to keep your posts relatively short and try to avoid external links unless they are necessary for proof/explanation.
Are you new here?

There are a lot of posts addressing reasons not to believe in gods, but for most of us the shortest answer is that nobody has ever presented enough evidence to justify a rational person believing in any of the myriad of gods that people have invented.

Another way of answering it is this: our reasons for not believing in your god are probably not that different from your reasons for not believing in Zeus, Thor, Quetzalcoatl, Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, unicorns, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Why don't you believe in them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Are you new here?

There are a lot of posts addressing reasons not to believe in gods, but for most of us the shortest answer is that nobody has ever presented enough evidence to justify a rational person believing in any of the myriad of gods that people have invented.

Another way of answering it is this: our reasons for not believing in your god are probably not that different from your reasons for not believing in Zeus, Thor, Quetzalcoatl, Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, unicorns, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Why don't you believe in them?
Oh, I don't know about all that.

Examples:
Evolution.
An old Earth.

It isn't lack of evidence that drives a hundred million (or so) Americans to reject such things. Rather, it is desperately wishing something else were true.

Even here on this forum, we see posts in which believers declare that all/any evidence to the contrary could never make them disbelieve.

I'm sure there are honest, if mistaken, believing surveyors of the evidence here. But there are also a lot of rejectionists for whom evidence is utterly irrelevant.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Is that a jab at Liverpool FC?? Because that is where it comes from. Some of the posters here seem to think I am theist for some reason. I don't know why because if you look at my 2nd post you can clearly see that I too am not religious...
Liverpool FC? The song is religious and has been sung by an awful lot of people before it ever got to Liverpool. Note the album name and cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4IGl...yer_detailpage

FranK Sinatra You'll Never Walk Alone - YouTube

Last edited by nana053; 12-30-2011 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: adding Elvis

Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
"You'll Never Walk Alone" comes from the musical "Carousel" words and music by Rodgers and Hammerstein. 1945.

The version by Gerry and the Pacemakers (a Liverpool group) was sung in 1963. The Liverpool Football Club adopted it as their anthem after Gerry and the boys sang it. (I always preferred them singing "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey" personally.) Anyway, there's your Liverpool connection.

Ok. Carry on.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
"Why do you believe?"

Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,878 times
Quote:
Please post all and any reason or questions you have that give you a reason not to believe. My purpose here is to try and see if people have any good points I have not seen or heard before and I think it would also be interesting to see people's perspectives.

Please try to keep your posts relatively short and try to avoid external links unless they are necessary for proof/explanation.
I was born that way and have found no convincing evidence to cross over the threshold to belief.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM

6 posts, read 13,708 times
ulnevrwalkalone,

Why concern yourself, your mind is made up. Never add a negative or positive to any process unless you wish to be effected by that negative or positive. Drama is the enemy.

Moving on.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7117 View Post
ulnevrwalkalone,

Why concern yourself, your mind is made up. Never add a negative or positive to any process unless you wish to be effected by that negative or positive. Drama is the enemy.

Moving on.
Why are you spamming this forum? We heard you the first time....

Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Lack of ANY reason or evidence TO believe in face of plenty of evidence not to.

Depends which pope arranges the belief for conscience or materialized investigation. My Polish pope just had the conference of cosmological speculation and warned (the very bad consequences) of mixing in what came before the big-bang.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:

It's all a fricking fairy tale born in the fear of ignorance as a way to explain what could not be understood. Very basic stuff, like why the sun came back day after day, people died, the seasons, etc., none of which could be understood, so magic gods were invented that control these mysteries.

The invention of all the gods that controlled what could not be understood helped alleviate the fear of the unknown, but today represents such willful ignorance counter to knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism