Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It looks a lot like the Nicene Creed

Interesting
I just don't believe in a all-powerful god building and running the universe, then setting up multiple flaming hoops for me to jump through for his amusement. Does that mean I can't be an atheist unless I swear to some flowery Moderator cut: deleted creed?

Last edited by june 7th; 01-12-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
So you believe that you don't know what you believe, or you believe that you don't believe in a deity.

I don't believe that makes you part of a cult, any more than I believe that a statement in which the non-believer says what he or she does believe in makes the non-believer part of a cult.
"I don't know" is not a belief system.

"I know one thing, that I know nothing"
Socrates

Newton explained gravity quite well, but Einstein did as Socrates and found General Relativity to explain gravity.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:51 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I believe there is no Biblegod. I do not believe in any other kind of god. Two different god - concepts, to different degrees of disbelief.
This is a great way of putting it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It seems unlikely that many of the 850 or so people at the Society for Ethical Culture on a recent Saturday night believed that God was still extant. But evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, author of The God Delusion and possibly the most famous atheist in the world, was not taking any chances. He gave a PowerPoint presentation driving home that religion does not meet any of the standards of basic scientific inquiry, before casually flicking away a few of His last crutches. Doesn’t God provide people some solace? asked an audience member. “Isn’t that a little childish?” Dawkins replied. “Just because something is comforting doesn’t mean it’s true.” Then someone asked about death, and Dawkins quoted Mark Twain: “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born.”
The room erupted in loud applause. God had definitely left the building—if he were ever here at all. Dawkins and his colleagues had helped to produce a kind of atheist big bang, a new beginning. But what kind of new structures might evolve?
Do Atheists Need a Church of Their Own? -- New York Magazine

Sounds like a church meeting where members with the same belief system get together for fellowship.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
It looks a lot like the Nicene Creed

Interesting
While it may look like something with a lot of clarity, it is basically meaningless. By definition, an atheist is a person who does not believe in any gods. Everything else said on the subject is optional for each and every atheist. They have nothing else in common. No creed. No worldview. No philosophy. Nothing.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
"I don't know" is not a belief system.

"I know one thing, that I know nothing"
Socrates

Newton explained gravity quite well, but Einstein did as Socrates and found General Relativity to explain gravity.
I believe you are taking everything too seriously.

And now I believe I'll have a sandwich.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I believe you are taking everything too seriously.

And now I believe I'll have a sandwich.
Making a joke during a debate is a very good tactic.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While it may look like something with a lot of clarity, it is basically meaningless. By definition, an atheist is a person who does not believe in any gods. Everything else said on the subject is optional for each and every atheist. They have nothing else in common. No creed. No worldview. No philosophy. Nothing.
Clearly that's the way it should be, but it seems too many "atheists" actually want some god-free "religion" in their lives and keep comming up with garbage like "atheist creeds" or atheist clubs that meet on Sunday, hold hands and bond around their mutual non-belief.

Anyone who builds their entire life around their theist OR atheistic beliefs is living a sadly shallow and small-minded existence.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Making a joke during a debate is a very good tactic.
It just shows how anything can become a belief system.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Clearly that's the way it should be, but it seems too many "atheists" actually want some god-free "religion" in their lives and keep comming up with garbage like "atheist creeds" or atheist clubs that meet on Sunday, hold hands and bond around their mutual non-belief.

Anyone who builds their entire life around their theist OR atheistic beliefs is living a sadly shallow and small-minded existence.

I have have to add that a tiny minority of Atheists can be very intolerant of religion. In this sense they can be similar to some Evangelist Christians and their narrow views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism