Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One of the Counties I haven't lived in.

I found Austin and the counties in the Valley to be very tolerant and more out of the Bible Belt.
Maybe you need to be tolerant in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 AM

21 posts, read 32,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

Texas Schools Face the Evolution Debate - On Education (usnews.com)

You cannot blame others or rely on others about your belief in religion and GOD.
I am a Muslim (people who follow Islam monothesism). I'm not proud to admit this, there are many idiot, evil minded, selfish, greedy, ignorant, so on so on Muslims in this world. HOwever, Islam and Muslims are 2 different items. I follow Islam and not Muslims; because Islam belong to GOD, and Muslims are just the label of people who believe in the monothesim (of the One Creator); how each individuals obey GOD (the do's and donts) is a different matter.
They should be reminded as they forget or choose to ignore, GOD's warning:
Quote:Q99:1-8
[SIZE=3]In the name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]When the earth will be shaken with a mighty shaking [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]and the earth will throw up all her burdens,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]and man will cry out: “What is the matter with her?” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]On that Day it will relate all her news, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]for your Lord will have commanded her (to do so). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]On that Day people will go forth in varying states so that they be shown their deeds.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, whoever does an atom's weight of good shall see it; [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]and whoever does an atom's weight of evil shall see it. [/SIZE]

Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 AM

46 posts, read 40,679 times
Quote:
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

That's says unfortunately a lot about Catholics in that they are too ashamed, embarassed or just too politically correct to even mention Jesus Christ. But you are right on the money about how Catholics do not believe in the Great Commission.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
That's says unfortunately a lot about Catholics in that they are too ashamed, embarassed or just too politically correct to even mention Jesus Christ.
Or maybe they are respectful of others' beliefs and are confident enough in their own to not feel the need going around forcing it upon those who would rather not hear it.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,936,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I never asserted that the ONLY evidence was from the Bible now did i ? In fact, every human being is well aware of the physical evidence around them and IN them that a personal designer, engineer, creator was responsible and that the silliness of accidents., time, and non intelligent materials could never produce what we have . Its just a convenient excuse so One can live as he/she likes never to be owned by anyone greater than Self.

I can give you much compelling scientific evidence of a personal theistic Creator having been at work , currently being at work to sustain all we have, and being absolutely necessary for a personal intelligent Cosmos ..and in fact, that happens to sum what i am : An evidential Christian Apologist. BUT, id like to know from you WHAT have you personally done to investigate further the obvious evidence that is all around you, HOW willing are you to surrender making yourself the 'god' of your life should you be shown the irrefutable evidence for the real Creator God , and IS it possible for you to bend your knee in humility to him being your personal Creator and to serve him and grow in a personal relationship to him ?

As to your other assertions about the Bible, etc...these are common misconceptions due to ignorance and an apriori commitment to atheism .

Provide physical, delectable evidence of you god. i am not interested in your mental excuses for the existence of your god. "surrender making yourself the god"? what the hell is that? this just prove that belief in god is mental, and a neurological thing it's all your i head this is why i call myself a gnostic atheist. i know there is no god because gods only exist in people's head . mental experiences and exercises don't count as evidence of your god.

summary: It's all in your head

you bible is product of bronze age primitives and undergo numerous editing, translations, and cannonization where some books are thrown out like the Gospel of Mary

Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,885 times
I am with the OP all the way.
I have even concidered moving overseas due to this.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 AM

46 posts, read 40,679 times
You can still be respectful of other beliefs and understand that if you know the truth and don't commuicate it to people, not only are you going against what Jesus commands, but you are contributing to the unsaved not obtaining salvation.

As an atheist one said, if someone was about to get hit by a car, would you just not say anything? I am assuing you would speak out. So if you are willing to save someone from dying in a car accident, why are you unwilling to do the same for eternal death? The atheist said that not speaking out when you know the truth is extremely cruel on your behalf. Those aren't my words, but his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Or maybe they are respectful of others' beliefs and are confident enough in their own to not feel the need going around forcing it upon those who would rather not hear it.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
I am with the OP all the way.
I have even concidered moving overseas due to this.
I did apply to work overseas when I was still in Texas.
Fortunately, the state of Arizona called first, and it took me all of 5 seconds to say YES and pack up and move.

Odd, but I found evangelical/fundie Christians in small groups in Arizona too, and they were the same kinds of lowlifes there as the ones in Texas, but they lacked the numbers to do anything more than create a small air of negativity around themselves. Individually though, the rude, nasty people there were inevitably those self proclaimed Christians. But again, in fewer numbers.

Originally Posted by BoomBoxing

That is it exacty. It seems as if some people think that repeating a statement over and over will somehow make it true, that if they can get enough people to go along with it, a majority, that too will make it right, and if they believe something LONG enough eventually it will be accepted as true.
Of course, Logic and reason do not work that way, but in the case of the many in Texas, as Spock said, "Logic and reason don't seem to apply here."

Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
You can still be respectful of other beliefs and understand that if you know the truth and don't commuicate it to people, not only are you going against what Jesus commands, but you are contributing to the unsaved not obtaining salvation.

As an atheist one said, if someone was about to get hit by a car, would you just not say anything? I am assuing you would speak out. So if you are willing to save someone from dying in a car accident, why are you unwilling to do the same for eternal death? The atheist said that not speaking out when you know the truth is extremely cruel on your behalf. Those aren't my words, but his.
Even if I were to assume that one would logically equate imminent death/injury from getting hit by a car with 100% certainty of ones fate after death - I still think it's rude and socially unacceptable. In America in 2012 (or really any point in our history), every person is familiar on some level with Christianity and its teachings. In fact, the non-religious have even been shown to be more knowledgable than most believers.

So I don't see how any logical person can go up to a stranger and say "Hey have you heard about Jesus?!" and reasonably expect someone to respond "Why, no I've never heard of this person, please enlighten me!" Especially considering how touchy and personally involved one tends to be about their views on religion - it's best to let people seek it out and come to their own conclusions than pester them unnecessarily.

My biggest point is that going out and proselytizing may in fact be counter-productive to your cause of saving souls. Most people do not want to be pressured or told they are wrong about something and many people (including myself) are turned off to the religions that are the most pushy about their beliefs (Mormons, JW's, Scientologists, and evangelicals). While I am firmly non-religious, I am much more open to and feel positively about those who respect others' beliefs and mostly keep to themselves (Jewish, Catholics, Buddhists).

Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Quote:

2009? Really?

http://ncse.com/news/2011/07/victory...-texas-006802/

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-14-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism