Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,233 times

Advertisements

I like "Bones" and "House" every once in awhile but are there other dramatic or non animation shows where at least one main character is openly atheist? I do really like "The Big Bang Theory" but haven't watched it enough to actually hear any of the characters being extremely anti-religious.

BTW, doesn't "Family Guy" and "South Park" openly bash religion...once again shows I never really watched much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
"Bones" was the first one that came to my mind.

If you can stand blood and guts and violence, "Dexter" might be another one. Although I don't recall him ever stating that he is an "atheist," he often talks about not believing. Of course, he's a killer, too. The show's in hiatus right now but all episodes can be found on-line (that's how I watch it).

If you want to go back in time, and if you can find it, Archie Bunker's son-in-law, Michael "Meathead" Stivic is/was an atheist ("All in the Family").

There are probably others that have either slipped my mind or that I'm not aware of.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times
Pocoyo?

In all the episodes I have watched (and I have watched many), I have never once heard Pocoyo proclaim the Lord Jesus Christ as King of the Universe. In addition, the narrator is British - and some of our most prominent Atheists (recently) have been British, so.....

And - he dances. Pocoyo doesn't appreciate the other's dancing - and I believe the others dances are metaphors for philsophies/religions. Yes - yes I do. Pocoyo then treats us to his "dance" philosophy.
Did I mention Stephen Fry is involved?

Pocoyo - Dance Off - YouTube

Last edited by whoppers; 01-14-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
I love the little dialogues between Brennan and Booth on Bones, reminds me of the "debates" between Christians and atheists on the internet

Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
On Big Bang Theory Sheldon Cooper is openly atheist. The other guys haven't stated one way or the other.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I think "Family Guy" and "South Park" mock everything at some point or another.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Daria on MTV was atheist though she never used the word atheist to refer to herself.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Brian, the dog, on Family Guy is an atheist. In one episode he "de-converts" Meg. Seth McFarlane, who makes it, is also atheist. I think he's generally harsher on religion than the South Park guys who make fun of religion, but I think ultimately T&S lean toward a "some of religion might be good and if it makes you a better person keep doing it" kind of outlook on religion. McFarlane, mostly, goes for none of that in my experience. His shows are maybe the only ones I've seen to just straight up advocate "there is no God and religious people are deluded." Even Bones or House are kind of willing to let both sides have a fair say.

On Grey's Anatomy I think Cristina Yang is an atheist. (Or was when I watched it) I mean she talks about being Jewish some, her stepfather, but that seems to be a cultural thing as I recall. She's at least stated she "just believes in science", "quit religion when I was old enough to know better", didn't want a church wedding, and I think she told a kid considering atheism something like "I don't believe in God either."

The title character of The Mentalist is possibly atheist or is at least a skeptic. He's been clear that he doesn't think he will see his murdered wife and daughter again because there's no afterlife. Also that the supernatural and paranormal is "bunk" or words to that effect. He's never just said "I'm an atheist", but I think what he's said leads to that. Although I guess he could be a deist.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Some of the UK Whodunnit shows have bods who declare their god - disbelief with some asperity. There are other characters who are God - believers, though.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Pocoyo?

In all the episodes I have watched (and I have watched many), I have never once heard Pocoyo proclaim the Lord Jesus Christ as King of the Universe. In addition, the narrator is British - and some of our most prominent Atheists (recently) have been British, so.....

And - he dances. Pocoyo doesn't appreciate the other's dancing - and I believe the others dances are metaphors for philsophies/religions. Yes - yes I do. Pocoyo then treats us to his "dance" philosophy.
Did I mention Stephen Fry is involved?

Pocoyo - Dance Off - YouTube
The narrator may be British but Pocoyo was created and written by Spaniards The business owner strikes me as somewhat of a libertarian and not particularly conservative (despite having aristocratic origins), but I might be wrong. Besides, Spanish TV series, for children or adults, rarely mention religion at all. It's the sort of subject matter that most citizens just aren't interested in.

(I love that dance!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism