Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:03 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,542,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
All one has to do to offend a christian is to state facts that dispel their fable. There is a lot of truth in " People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs"

Christians on the other hand have to make stuff up in their effort to offend an atheist, stuff like we lack morals, will burn in hell, etc.
It's not a fact it's an opinion Ashe. Just because you can't "prove" something doesn't mean it isn't true.

Why would you be so offended by another persons "fair tale" anyway?
I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,879,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
By the way...I think it was you who suggested something about sitting under a tree and contemplating. I read it and did not have time to reply. Then I could not remember which thread you posted that in and I have not come across it since.

If that was you...I had to wonder, because of what you said. Do you think I'm a man? I thought I had already cleared that up. Of course that has nothing to do with anything, but it just sounded as if you were assuming that.
Yeah, that was me who suggested sitting under a tree, and I knew you are female.

Of course, the guy who is famous for sitting under a tree was Buddah. Instead of praying for answers from a god, which a good Jew, Christian, or Muslim would do, he sat there and figured out his own answers. I like that.

No, I never actually sat under a tree like that, but most of my good ideas came to me through my own insight instead of learning them from someone else. It is nice that we can each choose our own ways to go through life.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I just don't get it.
Maybe you can find my "Why are you an Atheist" thread in the Atheist forum. I posted it several months ago.

I got a lot of great responses, and I was surprised how many Atheists were hostile toward religion. They told how they had religion forced on them when they were young, and maybe that was what caused them to be so angry.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:56 PM

I read somewhere that God is in all of us (which I tend to believe). So for me, praying to God is very much the same as looking within ourselves, for our answers.

I will definitely try to look for that thread some time soon. It does seem to be like at least some, if not many atheist are very angry at religious people in general. I don't find that to be very logical.
Why hate all of one particular group because of what some folks within that group did do you?

It sounds to me alot like the same formula that creates racism, bigotry and anti-gay sentiments.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,463,753 times
Quote:
It's not a fact it's an opinion Ashe. Just because you can't "prove" something doesn't mean it isn't true.

I just don't get it.
Because the ignorance of imposing the fairy tale into society and our laws. The fact that no matter how stupid the candidate may be, if it professes to be a "born again" christian will vote for him, or apparently vote against him because he follows the wrong fairy tales.

Peoples belief in fairy tales was primarily responsible for the passage of Prop 8 several years ago, and now fairy tale hatred is legislated against citizens in CA.

The May primary in my state (and I believe MN) will have an item on the ballot to decide if fairy tale born bigotry will become part of the NC Constitution or not.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Why hate all of one particular group because of what some folks within that group did do you?
Don't we all fall prey to those feelings from time to time? Especially if we feel the members of the group who hurt us are truly representative of the group as a whole.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,778,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Don't we all fall prey to those feelings from time to time? Especially if we feel the members of the group who hurt us are truly representative of the group as a whole.
As one of the sensitive ex-christians, I want to mention another piece of the puzzle. It isn't just that we feel hurt by Christians, often we feel injured by Christian doctrine. I harbor great resentment toward the Church, particularly the fundamentalist evangelical protestant variety, for the damage done to my mental and emotional health by the doctrine of original sin, the teachings regarding sexuality, judgment based on performance, and the biased and hostile characterizations of other human beings that I was taught not to question. These things were taught to me in the most loving and gracious manner possible, but they were still very damaging.

The other piece that sparks strong emotion is the public representation of Christianity. When Christians are content to share a club with the Rick Santorums, Michelle Bachmans, Rick Perrys, and Newt Gingriches in the public eye, it scares me! When people tacitly agree with presidents who are not sure if atheists qualify as Americans, or who want to codify their religious views into law because they are obviously the truth, it is hard not to react strongly.

I do understand that I have a distorted view of American Christianity. I view it through the lens of my experience, ultra-conservative evangelical fundamentalism in the deep south. The other thing is I tend to distinguish between Christianity, and Catholicism, Mormonism, and Jehovahs' Witnesses. Partly because when I was a Christian this was how I was taught, and partly because often members of these groups will self identify using the separate designations, as opposed to using a blanket Christian term.

Anyway, sometimes it is about doctrine and politics, not personal slights.

NoCapo

Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Because the ignorance of imposing the fairy tale into society and our laws. The fact that no matter how stupid the candidate may be, if it professes to be a "born again" christian will vote for him, or apparently vote against him because he follows the wrong fairy tales.

Peoples belief in fairy tales was primarily responsible for the passage of Prop 8 several years ago, and now fairy tale hatred is legislated against citizens in CA.

The May primary in my state (and I believe MN) will have an item on the ballot to decide if fairy tale born bigotry will become part of the NC Constitution or not.

Are you saying that you believe all Christians vote the same way?
That all Christians or religious people believe the same things?

On the one hand, I find it hard to believe that you can think that. On the other hand, it sure sounds like that's what you believe.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

Lord, I hope not!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 PM

NoCapo - Thank you for sharing that. I couldn't rate you positively again, and I don't have anything to add. I just wanted you do know that I appreciate your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism