Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,538,148 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of (or some) religious people are anti-gay and they defend their belief with things from the Bible. Sometimes I suspect that they use the Bible as an excuse for their anti-gay beliefs.

But it does seem that more atheist are open minded about homesexuality than Christians.

That being said, I am pretty sure there have got to be at least some atheist homophobes out there. But, I don't know a LOT of atheists. I can think of two people in my life who I know are atheist. So, I can't exactly have an accurate idea of how much more openminded atheist are on this subject.

Can you tell me if I'm right or wrong on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,773,078 times
I have not run across any self-described atheists who are anti-gay, but I am sure they are out there. I am also sure there are atheists who are racist, atheists who are xenophobes, and probably any other position, negative or positive.

I do think that the self identification as an atheist does self select to an extent. There are a large portion of people who could care less about religion, but may still identify as a Christian, or a theist, just by default. To self identify as an atheist often means that a person has spent time analyzing their own beliefs. They have often made a decision that is a non-conformist position, often in conflict with friends and families. They have applied their reason to the evidence before then, and came to a logical and considered decision. I would submit that anti-gay bigotry is not rationally supportable, so possibly self identified atheists are less likely to participate in it.

Just some conjecture...
NoCapo

Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
I know plenty of homophobes and none of them are religious. Many famous atheists of the past were ant-gay, it was just the times. Most of the most violently homophobic people I know aren't religious. I doubt even the Westboro Folk are that religious, they just use religion for their hateful homophobic agenda.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,782,900 times
I don't know any anti-gay atheists. I think there is one who posts around here. . . . I think.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,773,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know plenty of homophobes and none of them are religious. Many famous atheists of the past were ant-gay, it was just the times. Most of the most violently homophobic people I know aren't religious. I doubt even the Westboro Folk are that religious, they just use religion for their hateful homophobic agenda.
I don't know that the OP made the distinction, but I do think there is probably a difference between the attitudes of the non-religious, or mildly (socially) religious, and self-described atheists.

I also think you are right about the times. It does make a difference now that homosexuality is widely regarded as a lifestyle choice or an innate trait. It makes it much harder for a thinking person to justify bigotry, since the rational arguments against it are pretty flimsy. Without rational argument, the only thing that can be argued is, "it is wrong because it makes me uncomfortable" which is a hard position to hold if you take the time to examine it honestly.

NoCapo

Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,871,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I don't know any anti-gay atheists. I think there is one who posts around here. . . . I think.
Don't look at me. I think some people and animals are born homosexual and it is a valid lifestyle.

So why are some people and animals born homosexual? This is my theory.

Among early animals, there was no such thing as sexual preference. I recall from Biology class that in sponges, one of the simplest multi-cell animals, every cell is the same. As animals became single sex and developed primitive brains, it became important for the male animals to have a brain that made them attracted to females, and vice-versa.

However, the chromosome that determines the physical (i.e. male) body structure is a different chromosome than the one that determines the brain structure that makes the animal attracted to females. Sometimes an animal has a male body structure and a brain that makes them attracted to other males, or an animal with a female body who is attracted to other females.

If you don't like my theory, can you think of any other reason why evolution would give us homosexual animals?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I don't know that the OP made the distinction, but I do think there is probably a difference between the attitudes of the non-religious, or mildly (socially) religious, and self-described atheists.

I also think you are right about the times. It does make a difference now that homosexuality is widely regarded as a lifestyle choice or an innate trait. It makes it much harder for a thinking person to justify bigotry, since the rational arguments against it are pretty flimsy. Without rational argument, the only thing that can be argued is, "it is wrong because it makes me uncomfortable" which is a hard position to hold if you take the time to examine it honestly.

NoCapo
Plenty of homophobes don't feel the need to justify their hatred other than emotional reasons. Like saying 'it's unnatural', 'it's just wrong', 'it disgusts me.'

Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,713,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I know a lot of (or some) religious people are anti-gay and they defend their belief with things from the Bible. Sometimes I suspect that they use the Bible as an excuse for their anti-gay beliefs.

But it does seem that more atheist are open minded about homesexuality than Christians.

That being said, I am pretty sure there have got to be at least some atheist homophobes out there. But, I don't know a LOT of atheists. I can think of two people in my life who I know are atheist. So, I can't exactly have an accurate idea of how much more openminded atheist are on this subject.

Can you tell me if I'm right or wrong on this?
They exist, however, since 99% of anti-gay sentiment is based on 4-5 misinterpreted Biblical verses, atheists and agnostics seem to be largely more tolerant of gays. Really the icky factor would be the only opposition they might have.

But then in my experience, atheists are more liberal and more educated than most religious folks, and education dispels all the myths that make people hate gays.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:55 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,962,596 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quotes
Since many homophobes site the teachings of the Bible as their reason for dissing homosexuality, the OP's question is a valid one.

I think religious people are far more likely to be homophobic than Atheists because of their religion......that many religious people take the Bible quite literally and that is reason enough for them to dislike gays......no thought required.

On the other hand, Atheists are much more likely to think things through for themselves and take scientific evidence into consideration, etc......and therefore are less likely to be homophobic.

IMO

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-20-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,492,491 times
Two things. Though I am not gay myself, I have no problem with those who are.

Second, while I might be in doubt about whether the poster is making a genuine attempt to understand atheists or find something to discredit them, I have no problem with the question. If we answer honestly and intelligently, we can only come off looking better - if my assessment of the relative quality of reason and tolerance vis - a- vis religion and atheism is sound.

It's quite true that without religion atheism would not exist. If we don't get probing questions from the faithful, we would only end up patting ourselves on the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism