Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,379 times

Advertisements

religion is not synonymous with good deeds or being anti gay or racist, although when a religion says being gay is a sin, then you stand a chance that some sheep will follow that to the letter and have no opinion of their own, even after meeting gays and seeing that they are people like everyone else....I would say, based on those I have met, most atheists are "live and let live" type people and don't feel superior as far as color of skin and sexual orientation goes. Some might feel ahead of the rest because they've dispelled all the myths and stories.
Going back to the good deeds though, if a person only does good deeds because they think it's a ticket into heaven, is it still considered a good deed? Not in my book, because the only good deeds that count for me are done because you want to do it, not because of the possible reward attached. Just like apologizing is only valid if a person does it because they are sorry and understand why an apology is the right thing, not because it's what they're forced or cajoled into. It has to come out of the free will of the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 AM

111 posts, read 157,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I know a lot of (or some) religious people are anti-gay and they defend their belief with things from the Bible. Sometimes I suspect that they use the Bible as an excuse for their anti-gay beliefs.

But it does seem that more atheist are open minded about homesexuality than Christians.

That being said, I am pretty sure there have got to be at least some atheist homophobes out there. But, I don't know a LOT of atheists. I can think of two people in my life who I know are atheist. So, I can't exactly have an accurate idea of how much more openminded atheist are on this subject.

Can you tell me if I'm right or wrong on this?
It wouldnt surprise me if there was atheist homophobes.I am an atheist,Im not a homophobe.I beleev gay and non gay should have the same rights.Homophobia,I hope Im spelling it right,is a big sign of ignorance.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM

12 posts, read 15,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
They exist, however, since 99% of anti-gay sentiment is based on 4-5 misinterpreted Biblical verses, atheists and agnostics seem to be largely more tolerant of gays. Really the icky factor would be the only opposition they might have.

But then in my experience, atheists are more liberal and more educated than most religious folks, and education dispels all the myths that make people hate gays.
Christians are more educated. Plain and simple. God(trinity)and the bible are the only things that matter. i am a freashman in highschool and you could only know one thing about me, this is what i would say: I am a follower of Jesus Christ. Christians arent perfict, but they are forgivin.
Jesus saves. He really does. Eat, sleep, and breath his word. So many people are not living the way they are supposed to because they either, skim, or throw away the directions of life. God's word, the holy bible. Christ be with you.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM

258 posts, read 160,032 times
I don't really see the connection

Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
I don't really see the connection
Of course you don't, religion is the connection.

Gay sex has no appeal to me in any way, as I am sure is the case with many people, but that is not a reason to hate. Hate is all too often found in the teaching of religion. Be it toward gays, a different race, a different religion, and even a different gender, which would be female since men are the ones that wrote the instruction manuals.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakjhgf View Post
Christians are more educated. Plain and simple. God(trinity)and the bible are the only things that matter. i am a freashman in highschool and you could only know one thing about me, this is what i would say: I am a follower of Jesus Christ. Christians arent perfict, but they are forgivin.
Jesus saves. He really does. Eat, sleep, and breath his word. So many people are not living the way they are supposed to because they either, skim, or throw away the directions of life. God's word, the holy bible. Christ be with you.
You are a freshman in high school. You haven't lived long enough to be educated.

As for Christians being forgiving, that's debatable. Some of them can't even forgive their own children for being gay.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Sheesh, judging from your spelling and grammar you should probably consider changing schools, or buckle down and do your homework rather than trying to convert atheists....By the way proselytizing is not allowed on this forum.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
And you prove the point well with 7 spelling and grammatical errors in a short post.

But in fact, even what you attempted to prove is totally erroneous, for while christians 'think' they are experts and knowledgeable about their book of superstitions even there, their ignorance is vast.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comic relief ......... now finish high school, go to college, get out in the real world & start living, MAYBE then you will be educated.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Every Athesist I know isnt anti-gay. I've always wondered If there are any racist atheists?
Of course there are racist atheist in the world. Being an atheist doesn't automatically immune you from being a racist. You can still be a bigot and believe in the negative stereotypes of racial groups that have nothing to do with a believing in god or not. It is possible for an atheist to be a racist. I'm pretty sure there are White Supremacist members that could be atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism