Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
What's not to love about a dude that turn water in wine?
Sounds like a snake oil salesman. Men turn grapes into wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Yasoo: Do you not understand what atheism is? It is lack of belief in a god. That includes Jesus.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasoo View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering if there are any atheist/agnostics who still admire Jesus Christ but don't necessary have to belong to Christian faith ?
I know some that hate religion but love Jesus

I have gone back and forth between calling myself Agnostic and callin myself Christian. Even when I have considered myself agonost, I believed in Christ as our savior. I considered myself agnostic because I was not completely convinced that every word in The Bible was the "word of God".
I am still a little unsure of that. I prefer to think of it as "inspired by God".

I stil have many questions about The Bible and what seem to be contradictions, but I do now, consider myself more Christian than agnostic.

Although what other people think according to their own understanding of the definitions of Christian or agnostic, would probably vary.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Yasoo: Do you not understand what atheism is? It is lack of belief in a god. That includes Jesus.

Yaoos typed atheist/agnositc. Can't agnostics believe in Jesus, even if they can't claim to "know". Just wondering about your understanding of the meaning of agnostic. It seems not everyone agrees on exactly what being agnostic means.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Yaoos typed atheist/agnositc. Can't agnostics believe in Jesus, even if they can't claim to "know". Just wondering about your understanding of the meaning of agnostic. It seems not everyone agrees on exactly what being agnostic means.
You are absolutely correct that there are Agnostic Theists, however the question was clearly aimed at those who do not believe. The previous poster can be forgiven for interpreting the phrase atheist/agnostic in the spirit it was intended in the original question.

NoCapo

Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I believed in Christ as our savior. I considered myself agnostic because I was not completely convinced that every word in The Bible was the "word of God".
Looking, your viewpoint makes sense to me. You believe that Jesus is your savior, but you think the people who wrote about him embellished the story and didn't get all their facts straight. In this forum, you are hoping to get some insight so everything will make more sense to you.

I remember a lady at work who had a coffee mug with this message on it: "A woman's guide to success. Look like a lady, act like a man, work like a dog." I thought that was great, especially the "act like a man" part.

So what would a man do in your situation if he were "looking 4 answers"? He would do what Buddah did - sit under a tree until the TRUTH came to him. That approach seemed to work for Thoreau while he lived at Walden Pond.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,747 times
I have no doubt that a man named Jesus existed back then, the operative word being "man". Perhaps a simple, peace loving carpenter who had a gift for gab and a really outgoing personality.

As for all of his alleged exploits and miracles, can you say "urban legend"?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I have no doubt that a man named Jesus existed back then, the operative word being "man". Perhaps a simple, peace loving carpenter who had a gift for gab and a really outgoing personality.

As for all of his alleged exploits and miracles, can you say "urban legend"?
Yeah, this is roughly what i believe also.

A charasmatic reformist rabbi with ideas that upset the establishment and got executed for it.

Perhaps he was indeed enlightened and espoused admirable views, but we will never know what exactly he believed because virtually everything the bible claims he did and said were contrived long after his death.

Its questionable he ever even claimed to be the "son of god" himself, as those are words put into his mouth by clerics years after his death seeking to make him into the son of god for their own agenda.

I dont see how ANY adult, believer or non-believer can honestly buy that he was born of a virgin or rose from the dead. This is clear revisionist mystical nonsense.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:04 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
For a myriad of reasons, no.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
You are absolutely correct that there are Agnostic Theists, however the question was clearly aimed at those who do not believe. The previous poster can be forgiven for interpreting the phrase atheist/agnostic in the spirit it was intended in the original question.

NoCapo

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that the OP was directing his/her question at non-believers only.

I guess the best way to know for sure would be to ask the original poster. Where did Yasso go anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism