Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,166,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Apples and oranges comparison. Second hand smoke causes physical harm.
Religion has caused more physical harm in history than any tobacco product.

Besides, "second hand religion" causes mental stress and nausea. Much like pet doo-doo at a a nice beach or public park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM

705 posts, read 1,113,999 times
Quote:
I agree that the ones issuing the threats are disturbed as well. The prayer hanging in a school is in no way against the constitution. If anything preventing the freedom of displaying said prayer, is in violation of the constitution.
Anyone is free to display religious articles wherever they want provided it is not in on government property. You are dislpaying your lack of understanding of the Lemon v Kurtzman ruling as well as a lack of comprehension of the Fisrt Amendment.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,618,681 times
We should all be allowed to put whatever our beliefs are, on public property. We all pay for that public property. Put an atheist poster in my house for all I care. Is it really that big a deal?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,617,920 times
Quote:
We should all be allowed to put whatever our beliefs are, on public property. We all pay for that public property. Put an atheist poster in my house for all I care. Is it really that big a deal?
As long as it is a 'christian' belief, right?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post

Besides, "second hand religion" causes mental stress and nausea.
Then don't look at the stupid prayer, if you are so easily bothered by it. Problem solved. A court case though? What a joke.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,227,656 times
Quote:
Is upholding the Constitution of the Unites States really that big a deal? Yes.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
As long as it is a 'christian' belief, right?
No, absolutely not. Make it an atheist mantra (whatever that may look like) for all I care.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Is upholding the Constitution of the Unites States really that big a deal? Yes.
Well we can just agree to disagree then because I think it is against the constitution to prevent religious freedom.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,227,656 times
Quote:
Well we can just agree to disagree then because I think it is against the constitution to prevent religious freedom.
Again, it amounts to captive religious instruction in a taxpayer supported public school, which the Supreme Court ruled 64 years ago is unconstitutional. Such captive religious instruction in a government school IS a violation of religious freedom and a violation of the establishment clause.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM

705 posts, read 1,113,999 times
Quote:
OK, lemme try to make you understand what we're trying to get across.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

Respecting;
to hold in esteem or honor
to show regard or consideration for
to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with.
to relate or have reference to

Establishment; the act or an instance of
Establish
to found, institute, build, or bring into being on a firm or stable basis
to install or settle in a position, place, business, etc
to show to be valid or true; prove
to cause to be accepted or recognized
to bring about permanently

What that means is Congress shall, (shall meaning mandatory) not under any circumstances, make no law which considers or relates to the validity, acceptance, building of or supporting, religion.

Having said that, the courts have ruled that in ceratin contexts, the use of public funds cannot be used contrary to the above concept and the display of religious items on publicly owned property is contrary above concept.

So, government is therfore prevented from getting involved in he religious business at all.

This way the government cannot be accused of furthering anyone's particular religion. it stays out of it completely to avoid the appearance of impropriety and to avoid unethical behavoir. Government is mandated to remain neutral on this issue. That means no involvement in religion in any way shape or form. The placing of any religious item in a publicly owned building is contrary to Supreme Court rulings.

Check the following case law;

Lemon v Kurtzman

Hein v Freedom From Religion Foundation

Salazar v Buono
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism