Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times

Advertisements

World's most famous Atheist back pedals on his opinion.

Say's he can't be certain that there is no God.

But says the probability in his opinion is that a supreme being is not likely.

SAY WHAT?

Can be expect a death bed conversion from the Pope of Atheism?

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post

SAY WHAT?

This has always been Dawkins (and most atheists) position. In the scientific process it's about what you can PROVE, not what you can disprove. Most "atheists" like Dawkins beleive that there is a 99.9999999% chance there is no god. A virtual certainty. But because the word "god" is nebulous and has so many different defintions, most of which are ridiculously stupid, then there is a remote possiblity that there is a higher being out there.

But it's the same if you ask me "Do unicorns exist?" I would tell you "no, of course not". I believe with absolute certainty that unicorns do not exist. However, I have not searched every animal on the face of the earth either. As a scientist I have to concede "sure, it's POSSIBLE" that there are unicorns, but it's highly unlikely.

Science seldom gives you "yes" or "no" answers. It's mostly "probable" and "not probable".

This is not a revelation. Dawkins has always been of this mindset.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
This isn't news and I certainly wouldn't expect a conversion.

The reporter is a bit misleading. Dawkins has already stated, I believe in the God Delusion, that he is an agnostic. He defined a scale from 1 to 7, where 1 is absolute certainty in the existence of God and 7 is absolute certainty in the non-existence of God, and put himself at a 6.8.

Most self-identified atheists hold a similar view point. We acknowledge that, for at least some definitions of god, the existence of a deity cannot be proven or disproven. We can however take the balance of the evidence and be convinced that a god does not exist, even in the absence of absolute proof.

To sum up: Dawkins has not changed his mind or back pedaled, he is in no danger of converting, and the journalist responsible for the article was more interested in making a splash than covering his subject accurately.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this really is a non-story.

NoCapo

Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times
Quote:

SAY WHAT?

Nope, as many have stated this is a stance assumed by most atheist.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I didn't get a chance to watch the entire debate when it was streamed. I hope it will be online somewhere soon.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
This is no different than Bill Maher's story about Jesus descending during halftime at the Super Bowl, in which he'd say, "Oh. Look at that. There he is. I was wrong. Praise the Lord!"

He's still an atheist, but unlike believers who are so very sure of their deities, he's open to the possibility, however infinitesimal it is, that he is wrong.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Quote:

SAY WHAT?

Reaching.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Another case of a person not understanding the word "atheist".

Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:

SAY WHAT?

I think he is as much an Agnostic to your god as those of the Ancient Egyptians.
I don't know if he understands that Agnosticism is the condition of all thinking things
But he did say that calling himself Agnostic to the Christian Demiurge would be the same
as calling himself Agnostic about magical tea-pots orbiting our solar system.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
If so you can rest assured that it would not be a conversion to the silly "personal" god of Christianity, Islam or of any other revealed religion. At most, he might come to consider himself a Deist, Pantheist etc but that is really not too far removed from agnostic atheism anyway.

BTW Christians are just as strong in atheism toward 99.99999% of the "false" gods they don't believe in. Actually even stronger since they are ABSOLUTELY 100% sure that those gods don't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism