Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times

Advertisements

Evolution, Creationism, Intelligent Design

As of 2010, 40% of Americans believed the earth is under 10,000 years old. The highest percentage of young earth believers was in 1993 and 1999 at 47%. Note that it hasn't always gone down, dropping down to 44% in 1997 and back up to 47% in 1999.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Evolution, Creationism, Intelligent Design

As of 2010, 40% of Americans believed the earth is under 10,000 years old. The highest percentage of young earth believers was in 1993 and 1999 at 47%. Note that it hasn't always gone down, dropping down to 44% in 1997 and back up to 47% in 1999.
In some ways one has to admire US independent thought, questioning even what the textbooks said. And the Creationists had a very effective persuasion package.

One hopes that that ol US questioning will work the other way when it is more widely explained that the creationist package was a mix of poor science, misinformation and faulty reasoning. I'm doing a summary of mutations and their validity as a mechanism of evolutionary change for Squall - Lionheart. It is looking at questions that I never asked myself, but they are there, if one looks.

But it is clear that people don't look themselves - other have to do the research and explain the results simply so that the doubters will understand that the Creationist objections about rarity, can't add information and mutations are always bad are simply false.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Why don't they just treat it like we treat holiday beliefs? We all have different versions of holidays we celebrate. People have seemed to work that out with "happy holiday" instead of being specific. You could just have 3 choices of history/science class. Sign up for the one that appeals to you. No biggy.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Default This may take awhile...young earth creationist believer percentages 2010

I'm in danger of turning too political for this forum, but this isn't an accident.

It really boils down to this: Dumb people are easier to manipulate and control.

That's how the Catholic church controlled midevil Europe for centuries, how Islam dominated the Middle East and how certain powers that be in the ole' USofA keep the lines forming at military recruiter stations, gas stations and shopping malls while they kill hundreds of thousands of people on the other side of the world, keep their personal bank accounts overflowing and keep anyone else from rising enough to become a potential challenge to their "benevolent rule".

It's not fun to find out you've been played for a sucker, but it's certainly worse to never realize you have been played in the first place.

Knowledge is Power. Knowing a little bit of practical ape psychology and behavioral tendencies is a dangerous advantage over a group of people who are convinced they are God-babies and that a magic carpenter loves them and will soon show up to save them.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
That's about 30 - 35 percent too high as far as I'm concerned. There's always gonna be a certain percentage of people with nut-ball beliefs, but getting the number of folks who accept scientific facts into at least the upper 80 percent range shouldn't be unrealistic.

There's nothing wrong with questioning things, even evolution. But there's a difference between that and just flat out denial, which is what you see from YECs.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM

173 posts, read 345,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm in danger of turning too political for this forum, but this isn't an accident.

It really boils down to this: Dumb people are easier to manipulate and control.

That's how the Catholic church controlled midevil Europe for centuries, how Islam dominated the Middle East and how certain powers that be in the ole' USofA keep the lines forming at military recruiter stations, gas stations and shopping malls while they kill hundreds of thousands of people on the other side of the world, keep their personal bank accounts overflowing and keep anyone else from rising enough to become a potential challenge to their "benevolent rule".

It's not fun to find out you've been played for a sucker, but it's certainly worse to never realize you have been played in the first place.

Knowledge is Power. Knowing a little bit of practical ape psychology and behavioral tendencies is a dangerous advantage over a group of people who are convinced they are God-babies and that a magic carpenter loves them and will soon show up to save them.
Yes, you're comment is political and offensive. As a Christian, I think atheists and other religious beliefs are wrong. That, does not by any way make them stupid. They have come to a conclusion I don't agree with, but that does not make them stupid.

I also hate it when people compare the belief in God to magic. I believe God did create scientific laws and that there has been minor evolution. What I don't believe is that everything evolved over billions of years or the the universe could be created by an explosion.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
Yes, you're comment is political and offensive. As a Christian, I think atheists and other religious beliefs are wrong. That, does not by any way make them stupid. They have come to a conclusion I don't agree with, but that does not make them stupid.

I also hate it when people compare the belief in God to magic. I believe God did create scientific laws and that there has been minor evolution. What I don't believe is that everything evolved over billions of years or the the universe could be created by an explosion.
The problem is that you do not understand the big bang theory. It was not an explosion.

Big Bang Theory

Quote:
There are many misconceptions surrounding the Big Bang theory. For example, we tend to imagine a giant explosion. Experts however say that there was no explosion; there was (and continues to be) an expansion. Rather than imagining a balloon popping and releasing its contents, imagine a balloon expanding: an infinitesimally small balloon expanding to the size of our current universe.
If you believe in a young earth, how do you explain all the evidence that the earth is billions of years old?

The Age of the Earth

Quote:
The generally accepted age for the Earth and the rest of the solar system is about 4.55 billion years (plus or minus about 1%). This value is derived from several different lines of evidence.
Quote:
The oldest rocks which have been found so far (on the Earth) date to about 3.8 to 3.9 billion years ago (by several radiometric dating methods). Some of these rocks are sedimentary, and include minerals which are themselves as old as 4.1 to 4.2 billion years. Rocks of this age are relatively rare, however rocks that are at least 3.5 billion years in age have been found on North America, Greenland, Australia, Africa, and Asia.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:

Everyone has the right to be wrong, but you are abusing the privileged.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 PM

120 posts, read 124,401 times
Quote:

This tiny quote from you is all I need to know that your understanding of the science is... erm... dismal... and that's being nice.

Start with nan053's links and go from there.

Also, being a Christian is not what makes you stupid. That makes you like a very large majority of the rest of the world, which is human. So congratulations. You're a human being just like the rest of us.

The stupidity comes in when one denies extremely obvious scientific evidence in favor of a 2000-year-old collection of myths and fairy tales (and yes, I am referring to the Bible) and attempts to explain to us how a planet which is quite obviously 4.5 billion years old is actually 6000 years old, all while doing everything in one's power to avoid the obvious conclusion that if the earth is really 6000 years old despite all of the natural evidence to the contrary, then God is a deceiver. I should note that I'm not speaking of any specific YEC in this paragraph... just YECs in general...

Ignorance can be cured, however, if you're willing to look at the actual evidence through the lens of science itself, and not Kent Hovind or Ken Hamm... because they are both so insanely wrong it's downright pathetic.

With Kent Hovind, it doesn't help that he's admitted to believing in fire-breathing dragons and unicorns because his version of the Bible includes them in its pages.

With Ken Hamm, it doesn't help that he thinks is an accurate portrayal of history...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism