Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,815 times

Advertisements

"Early analysis suggests that the gorilla lineage splintered off from other great apes about 10 million years ago, some 3 million years before chimps and humans split. It's no surprise, then, that chimps and humans have more in common: the sequences found in 70 per cent of great ape genetic material are more closely related in chimps and humans than in gorillas and either species.

But despite the ancient split, the remaining 30 per cent of Kamilah's genome turned out to be more closely related to humans or chimps than those species are to one another, suggesting that genes continued to trickle between the three lineages after they split."

Source: New Scientist, 10 March 2012

http://atheism.about.com/b/2012/07/12/gorilla-dna-and-human-evolution.htm

....and the evidence continues to mount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
genes continued to trickle between the three lineages after they split
I guess that means humans, chimps, and gorillas did the big nasty after the species split apart.

In a way, I am glad to hear that. I was afraid I was the only one who found certain chimps and gorillas kind of sexy.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I guess that means humans, chimps, and gorillas did the big nasty after the species split apart.

In a way, I am glad to hear that. I was afraid I was the only one who found certain chimps and gorillas kind of sexy.
Whatever makes your boat float!!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,912,983 times
PS: If a gorilla wants your boat to float, it'll damn-well float!

You wanna argue with this?:

Image Detail for - An adult male gorilla is called a silverback. He leads a group of females and their offspring, many of

Yahoo! Image Search

BTW, and seriously for a moment, it's also quite reasonable that the unique genes & loci that code for specific improvements in IQ, or the ability to think about and plan for the future, simply evolved at the approximate same time in two previously closely related species. Even the rate of such mutations could very easily have been closely matched, since there was an "opening" in that niche into which any mutations along that line would be a distinct improvement for both species. Since they would be starting out with VERY similar "brainial" {hee hee!} connections and capacities, such Evolutionary comparisons and similarities would not be difficult to imagine happening within a few tens of thousands of years of each other (No-one is saying this would happen over the same weekend! After all, only Christians like to make such wild-a$$peDd conclusions and assumptions!)

At any rate, it's certainly far more likely that an Insta-Poof world, eh guys?

Last edited by rifleman; 07-13-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
They are such gentle creatures, and as curious about us as we are about them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H7zcqjplc

Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 PM

Amazing! But remember now, sans; theyz "lesser"!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Maybe lesser is some ways, but would you want to wrestle with that silverback?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Thumbs down God's Misguided Hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Maybe lesser is some ways, but would you want to wrestle with that silverback?
Koo-chee-kooo?

No. In truth, I have nothing but the highest respect for all of "God's lesser animals", especially since they have sadly taken form so far below us....

Seriously, the capabilities, sensibilities, life's joie de vivre* and cultural relations of these wonderful animals, the downstream offspring of which will permanently be housed in zoos, along with polar & grizzly bears, cheetahs (which I recently decided to support financially, seeing their impending plight), as well as the great tigers and leopards, the giant and lesser squids, and so many more species (or "kinds" as the anti-species types would have us believe). All suffering because of the inherent arrogance and selfish egos of man. I hold the church and organized religion directly and specficially responsible for that pathological little character flaw.

And yet, vocally noisy Christian acolytes still nod patronizingly at such commentary, and happily cling to this malignant, selfish and misguided concept. The pastor at the church where my wife works (and where I attend about once every 6 weeks or so, for comic relief and to remind myself the ignorance and orchestrated malice has not abated...) again spouted the comment (and I quote) that "all good Christians and men have a direct responsibility to lead in the management of God's lesser beasts".

Oh....My....God... I almost got up and left, but someone's got to fight the good fight, eh?

(* for those not blessed with bilingual capabilities: Joie de vivre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Note how appropriately it fits the video of those gorillas.)

Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Koo-chee-kooo?

No. In truth, I have nothing but the highest respect for all of "God's lesser animals", especially since they have sadly taken form so far below us....

Seriously, the capabilities, sensibilities, life's joie de vivre* and cultural relations of these wonderful animals, the downstream offspring of which will permanently be housed in zoos, along with polar & grizzly bears, cheetahs (which I recently decided to support financially, seeing their impending plight), as well as the great tigers and leopards, the giant and lesser squids, and so many more species (or "kinds" as the anti-species types would have us believe). All suffering because of the inherent arrogance and selfish egos of man. I hold the church and organized religion directly and specficially responsible for that pathological little character flaw.

And yet, vocally noisy Christian acolytes still nod patronizingly at such commentary, and happily cling to this malignant, selfish and misguided concept. The pastor at the church where my wife works (and where I attend about once every 6 weeks or so, for comic relief and to remind myself the ignorance and orchestrated malice has not abated...) again spouted the comment (and I quote) that "all good Christians and men have a direct responsibility to lead in the management of God's lesser beasts".

Oh....My....God... I almost got up and left, but someone's got to fight the good fight, eh?

(* for those not blessed with bilingual capabilities: Joie de vivre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Note how appropriately it fits the video of those gorillas.)
I joined 4 other atheist friends at church a few weeks ago. One had never been to church and wanted to experience it live. I hadn't been in about a decade. It was nauseating, the indoctrinating repetition of the songs, the constant calls for affirmation, the outright lies and the holy ghost. Yes, the holy ghost, now that's worth the price of admission.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

Somehow that just isn't OK...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism