Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:13 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

Chango, too bad Pam Anderson, Yasmin Bleeth, and the rest of those Baywatch babes didn't come rescue you with a couple of those built-in 'life preservers' they cart around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 04:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Chango, too bad Pam Anderson, Yasmin Bleeth, and the rest of those Baywatch babes didn't come rescue you with a couple of those built-in 'life preservers' they cart around.
Are you kidding? Who knows what kind of diseases I would still suffer with today if one those people touched me?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Are you kidding? Who knows what kind of diseases I would still suffer with today if one those people touched me?
You gotta admit, it would have been worth it!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
My condolences.

I think how we react to losing a loved one is less about our religious (or non-religious) beliefs, and more about each of us as person in general.

No matter what. If we love someone and we enjoyed their company, we will miss them tremendously.
There may be some comfort in thinking "they are in a better place", but they are still away from us.
So, it hurts.

I try to focus on the blessing (or good fortune) of having had a person in my life. That brings a little bit of comfort to me.

When my mother died, I had never lost anyone close to me before. It was the most excruciatingly emotionally painful thing i ever experienced. Having faith didn't make it any less painful.

I hate to say anything that you've probably already heard a hundred times, but it does hurt less with time. We will always miss them, but we have to attend to our lives and those who are still with us.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Sorry for your loss.
When dealing with death, two things that help me cope: (1) that even though the person is no longer here, a part of her continues on .. in every single one of my cells in the form of DNA; and (2) remembering all the little ways that person affected me, thus helping shape me into the person I am today.

I look at it kind of the same way, but instead of DNA, I remind myself that we are all stardust.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 AM

24 posts, read 27,480 times
I lost my father four years ago. I was of course devastated (& still am, if truth be told), but took huge comfort in understanding we are simply animals and our bodies can't last forever. We come from nothing, we return to nothing.

I found it strange that the rest of my family, all of whom are believers, didn't seem to take any comfort from their belief they would see him again in heaven. Surely that's a gift and makes dealing with the loss more bearable, but it didn't seem to. I remember my brother saying he'd cut off his arm if he thought it would give him another five minutes with Dad. It seems that through all the grief, faith wasn't enough.

I find myself talking to Dad from time to time. I don't believe he's there, "looking down on me," I just like to talk to him the same way I would if he were alive.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 AM

356 posts, read 677,495 times
Healthy conversation to have here, the religious folks don't own death we all die.

Pain, suffering, loss this is the rule of humanity. Most humans born lived in poverty had short lives and died painfully. We have reached a point in time where the lucky ones can live long healthy lives. This is great but it is not the human condition, we evolved to work hard, spread our genes and die. We have outrun our initial purpose and now death and pain are a terrifying enemy. I have not lost anyone in a long time but as a father and husband and with grandparents in there 80s I fear death, not mine really at all, I can basically accept the void personally, the real issue I am so insulated from such loss being a middle income American during a time of vaccines and anitbiotics and technology that death is rare. I hope to be able to handle it with dignity but admit in many ways our ancestors were pros at these things and we simply are too insulated from death to know how to accept it.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
I am so insulated from such loss being a middle income American during a time of vaccines and anitbiotics and technology that death is rare. I hope to be able to handle it with dignity but admit in many ways our ancestors were pros at these things and we simply are too insulated from death to know how to accept it.
That is a very good point. When is the last time you heard of a person dying from typhoid, tuberculosis, and yellow fever?

I'm 66 in general great health except for a seemingly mild case of prostate cancer, but I know I don't have many years before I start to decline. Like you, I hope I can accept it with dignity.

This poem shows that others have the same thoughts:

16. Thanatopsis. William Cullen Bryant. Yale Book of American Verse

Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
I've wondered about this very thing happening to me too, since I'm a fairly new atheist. All of my life I was a Christian and there was always the hope of a better life beyond this one....I mean, let's face it.......that DOES make death easier to deal with to believe that. And I honestly don't know how I will handle things when the time comes.

So sorry for your loss, I wish I had some words of wisdom but maybe the comfort can come in the form of just knowing that your grandmother is no longer in pain and that she lived a good life.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I've wondered about this very thing happening to me too, since I'm a fairly new atheist. All of my life I was a Christian and there was always the hope of a better life beyond this one....I mean, let's face it.......that DOES make death easier to deal with to believe that. And I honestly don't know how I will handle things when the time comes.

So sorry for your loss, I wish I had some words of wisdom but maybe the comfort can come in the form of just knowing that your grandmother is no longer in pain and that she lived a good life.
That depends on what kind of death you will experience. It could be a slow painful one like my god-fearing mother experienced at age 84 or an ex-supervisor who was Catholic that I worked for for 8 years who dropped dead of a heart attack 2 months ago at age 55.
That's some "plan" isn't it?

When you're dead, you're dead. The reality is there will be nothing after you take that last breath. Speaking for myself I hope it will be like going to sleep but never waking up. I don't want to deal with anything like my mother went through who spent the last 5+ months of her life in a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism