Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,577,629 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Since Christmas is a national holiday, I wonder if you atheists/non-believers are against it, and agree with the president of American atheist group, David Silverman. On Fox News, Silverman said that Christmas should not be a federal holiday, and that it is a pure Christian religious holiday. He was also concerned that 99% of Americans do not work on Christmas, that federal offices, banks, posts, etc. are all closed.

What Silverman do not realize is that just because Christmas Day is a federal holiday does not mean other things cannot remain open. America has no statutory holidays unlike most other western nations, that mandate a worker being off on a holiday. Virtually all private companies by their own decision closes on Christmas Day without the government forcing them. So why does he care?!

PS: I do not agree with Bill saying that Christianity is not a religion but a philosophy. He should admit that Christmas and its symbols are Christian holiday. Anyways, the Supreme Court has ruled that Christmas Day does not violate the constitution. It still makes sense having it a holiday because 96% of Americans celebrate it, and even if the government was open nobody would have showed up to work, so it makes sense closing it down.

Bill O'Reilly Confronts Atheist Leader Over The War On Christmas - YouTube

Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,878,019 times
I love Holidays.
I like the presents, the food, the drink, the day off from work, the drink,
the presents again, seeing my family,
I love Holidays!
I say Happy Holidays! to everyone I see.
I want holidays!
I want MORE holidays!
The Holiday is what you make of it, and you can see what
I make of it. LOL!
So I say, AlwaYS HAVE Christmas, and lets have more!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,543,707 times
It would be nice if we just received holiday time off like those other countries but I think that would throw Christian Americans into a tail spin. https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitleme...ts/entitlement
Look at the amount of time they get, good God, that's awesome!

That way any holiday belief would apply. I don't see why that would be a problem to Christians. They could have Christmas off as their selected holiday celebration and others could have it for theirs.

Do Christians believe there are others in America that celebrate other things? What does respect mean to you and why would they not get their holiday federal status if you do?

I think a lot of Christians are just bullies actually. Things don't go your way and you freak out. Just try and have a little respect for your fellow Americans. There are more and more people who don't celebrate Christmas coming to America, we are a melting pot and a free country. We are not a Christian nation. Holiday time would be fine for everyone. Just a general off work time for what ever you do.

What's the reasoning behind wanting it to be specifically a "Christmas" day off. Why would you object to just holiday time and skip the national holiday b.s.?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I love Holidays.
I like the presents, the food, the drink, the day off from work, the drink,
the presents again, seeing my family,
I love Holidays!
I say Happy Holidays! to everyone I see.
I want holidays!
I want MORE holidays!
The Holiday is what you make of it, and you can see what
I make of it. LOL!
So I say, AlwaYS HAVE Christmas, and lets have more!
So you disagree with David Silver, the president of American Atheists?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It would be nice if we just received holiday time off like those other countries but I think that would throw Christian Americans into a tail spin. https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitleme...ts/entitlement
Look at the amount of time they get, good God, that's awesome!

That way any holiday belief would apply. I don't see why that would be a problem to Christians. They could have Christmas off as their selected holiday celebration and others could have it for theirs.

Do Christians believe there are others in America that celebrate other things? What does respect mean to you and why would they not get their holiday federal status if you do?

I think a lot of Christians are just bullies actually. Things don't go your way and you freak out. Just try and have a little respect for your fellow Americans. There are more and more people who don't celebrate Christmas coming to America, we are a melting pot and a free country. We are not a Christian nation. Holiday time would be fine for everyone. Just a general off work time for what ever you do.

What's the reasoning behind wanting it to be specifically a "Christmas" day off. Why would you object to just holiday time and skip the national holiday b.s.?
Actually unlike most other western/industrial nations like in Europe, South America, Oceania, etc. - the U.S. lacks of Christian holidays on the list. As an example, Good Friday has not yet been a national holiday, while it is in most other countries with large minority, or majority of the nation's population.

Regards to the English way, a company do not have to pay for a national holiday, which is the same in the U.S. outside of the federal government. England still observes Good Friday, Easter, Christmas as national holidays.

So you want the government to not pay for any holidays for their employees? Fine with me. But that does NOT mean you should get rid of Christmas from the list.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM

344 posts, read 394,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Hi,

Since Christmas is a national holiday, I wonder if you atheists/non-believers are against it, and agree with the president of American atheist group, David Silverman. On Fox News, Silverman said that Christmas should not be a federal holiday, and that it is a pure Christian religious holiday. He was also concerned that 99% of Americans do not work on Christmas, that federal offices, banks, posts, etc. are all closed.

What Silverman do not realize is that just because Christmas Day is a federal holiday does not mean other things cannot remain open. America has no statutory holidays unlike most other western nations, that mandate a worker being off on a holiday. Virtually all private companies by their own decision closes on Christmas Day without the government forcing them. So why does he care?!

PS: I do not agree with Bill saying that Christianity is not a religion but a philosophy. He should admit that Christmas and its symbols are Christian holiday. Anyways, the Supreme Court has ruled that Christmas Day does not violate the constitution. It still makes sense having it a holiday because 96% of Americans celebrate it, and even if the government was open nobody would have showed up to work, so it makes sense closing it down.
O'Reilly is wrong on almost every turn, including that Christianity is not a religion. However, I would never want to see Christmas disappear. As an atheist, all I want is to see everyone treated equally, be they Jews, Christians, atheists, gays, women, or disabled. As long as I have Christmas off work, that's good enough for me.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,929,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
O'Reilly is wrong on almost every turn, including that Christianity is not a religion.
Indeed. How can he possibly say Christianity is not a religion? Doesn't he own a dictionary? Anybody who watches Bill O'Reilly is as dumb as he is.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,693,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Indeed. How can he possibly say Christianity is not a religion? Doesn't he own a dictionary?
It's an attempt to make their religion sound special. You know, everyone else has a religion (roll eyes in contempt at their silliness) but I have a personal relationship with the creator of the known universe (insert smug look here).

Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM

2,920 posts, read 5,218,343 times
You don't have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas. I'm an atheist but I love Christmas and other holidays. For me it's just a time to get together with family, eat a lovely dinner, watch movies together, decorate the Christmas tree, walk through the snow, etc. Who on earth wants to work on Christmas day?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,543,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Actually unlike most other western/industrial nations like in Europe, South America, Oceania, etc. - the U.S. lacks of Christian holidays on the list. As an example, Good Friday has not yet been a national holiday, while it is in most other countries with large minority, or majority of the nation's population.

Regards to the English way, a company do not have to pay for a national holiday, which is the same in the U.S. outside of the federal government. England still observes Good Friday, Easter, Christmas as national holidays.

So you want the government to not pay for any holidays for their employees? Fine with me. But that does NOT mean you should get rid of Christmas from the list.
England had Queens who ruled by religion as well. It is a part of their culture and history. It's not American history. We were never under religious rule, or had beheading if we weren't Christian. There is no real reason to observe Christmas as a federal holiday, we just adopted it when the Christians were trying again to get America to be a Christian Nation. They tried to change the constitution as well but that didn't work and was thrown out.

Christmas can be unadopted if the majority decides. It might very well change one day, as might the money we spend. In the future we are going to be populated with more of a variety of religious belief as well as lack of belief. Things will change to reflect this. That's how we roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.