U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Lone Star State to Peach State
4,470 posts, read 4,808,279 times
Reputation: 8821

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Or you could answer the door wearing this.
Lilac,
I would crap my pants if I saw that shirt!!!

I have to say those watchtower people take great notes.
After the first time they knocked, my husband pointed to the Mezuzah on our door post, and we engaged
In some surface talk. next time they sent 2 different people who spoke our 2nd language. I guess they thought if we send someone speaking Russian or Spanish we can win them over!!!
Bless their hearts. There is certainly no reason on our part to be nasty to them.
They bleed just like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,120 posts, read 5,454,643 times
Reputation: 3351
I lived in East TN for 10 years. It had lots of positive benefits, but one very big negative. You guessed it. Bible Thumpers all wanting you to join their church.

For a while I had a part-time job on Saturdays working as a parking attendant at a hospital. I can't count the number of times someone tried to hand me a card for their church, or tell me jesus loves me, or asked me if I'd been saved. One guy road up to the booth on his bicycle and told me jesus loved me. I said that's fine but I'm not christian. He was incensed and rode away shouting at me to go ahead and worship my buddha or be a witch but I was going to hell.

Fortunately I now live in Scotland where it's extremely rare for someone to give a sh*t what you believe/don't believe when it comes to religion. Recently we had a JW come to door. Very polite. Spoke to my husband as I wasn't home. That's the second one in nearly 13 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, Ca.
2,441 posts, read 3,364,333 times
Reputation: 2629
No need for nasty names. If after you have made it clear that you have no interest but still being visited, just ask or look up the local congrergation, call and request to speak with an elder and state that you dont want to be visited. Not sure about the Mormon missionaries, but that should end it with True* Jehovah's Witnesses.

*Some are new to the organization and may not fully understand some principles.
Absolutely No disrespect is ever intended, as adherance to local law is a definite
priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
335 posts, read 328,303 times
Reputation: 200
Reading over this thread has got me to thinking about these two extremely different denominations (Jehovah's Witnesses and the Utah Latter Day Saints). I also have to say that I did learn some things from them.

First, the Witnesses never persuaded me that the world's troubles show that the End is near. I know enough history to avoid that misjudgment of modern events.

However, they did persuade me that there is little in the Bible to support several common Christian teachings, such as the Trinity and Eternal Damnation in Hell, and that these entered Christianity some time after the writing of the NT.

I found the Mormon view of God and salvation utterly fascinating, and, actually, rather appealing (although no more rational than any of these schemes). Why should progress end with this earthly existence? What do we do in Heaven -- just sit around and sing?

We need to have an open mind and appreciate such diversity, if for no other reason than that it shows us what the human mind can dream up. My motto, of sorts, might be to be intellectually generous, but always with a demanding skepticism -- that is, "prove it." Be skeptical and respectful, avoid mockery and cynicism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
27,006 posts, read 28,853,413 times
Reputation: 12742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
However, they did persuade me that there is little in the Bible to support several common Christian teachings, such as the Trinity and Eternal Damnation in Hell, and that these entered Christianity some time after the writing of the NT.

I found the Mormon view of God and salvation utterly fascinating, and, actually, rather appealing (although no more rational than any of these schemes). Why should progress end with this earthly existence? What do we do in Heaven -- just sit around and sing?
Actually, the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses neither one believe in the Trinity or in Eternal Damnation. That, however, is pretty much where the similarities between the two religions ends.

I have spoken to many people who have expressed positive experiences in talking to the Mormon missionaries. Some of them might get kind of pushy, but for the most part, conversations between them and those who are willing to listen to what they have to say (but make it clear they have no intention of converting) end up to be respectful of and educational for both the missionaries and the people they're talking to. I know a Wiccan woman who always invites the Mormon missionaries in when they stop by and has had several very interesting discussions with them. I have no problem with people who simply don't want to be bothered talking to Mormon or Jehovah's Witnesses' missionaries at all, but there is rarely any need to be rude in saying, "Thanks, but no thanks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,565 posts, read 23,495,298 times
Reputation: 21188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
No need for nasty names. If after you have made it clear that you have no interest but still being visited, just ask or look up the local congrergation, call and request to speak with an elder and state that you dont want to be visited. Not sure about the Mormon missionaries, but that should end it with True* Jehovah's Witnesses.

*Some are new to the organization and may not fully understand some principles.
Absolutely No disrespect is ever intended, as adherance to local law is a definite
priority.
That shifts the burden of avoiding being annoyed onto the victim, it creates a duty (having to call and request no visitations.) I would place that duty on the people with the agenda. Why not have them call a home first and ask if anyone there is interested in hearing about their religious beliefs, and then visit only those homes which had indicated willingness? The others they leave alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Front Range of Colorado
1,635 posts, read 2,481,353 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That shifts the burden of avoiding being annoyed onto the victim, it creates a duty (having to call and request no visitations.) I would place that duty on the people with the agenda. Why not have them call a home first and ask if anyone there is interested in hearing about their religious beliefs, and then visit only those homes which had indicated willingness? The others they leave alone.
What? A phone call is just another annoyance, and a significant one.
This is not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Front Range of Colorado
1,635 posts, read 2,481,353 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
No need for nasty names. If after you have made it clear that you have no interest but still being visited, just ask or look up the local congrergation, call and request to speak with an elder and state that you dont want to be visited. Not sure about the Mormon missionaries, but that should end it with True* Jehovah's Witnesses.

*Some are new to the organization and may not fully understand some principles.
Absolutely No disrespect is ever intended, as adherance to local law is a definite
priority.
Why should I have to do ANYTHING to preserve quiet enjoyment of my own property? People that come to my door, unannounced, trying to convert and recruit, are fair game for just about anything that is not physically harmful to them.

Proselytizers have no RIGHTS to impose their hallucinations on ANYONE.

I owe them NOTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,565 posts, read 23,495,298 times
Reputation: 21188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
What? A phone call is just another annoyance, and a significant one.
This is not a good idea.
Picking up your phone, saying "no" and hanging up is more of a burden than having them show up at your door unannounced?

If you were sitting on the toilet or were in the shower, which do you prefer to have happen? The phone rings, or your doorbell rings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Front Range of Colorado
1,635 posts, read 2,481,353 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Picking up your phone, saying "no" and hanging up is more of a burden than having them show up at your door unannounced?

If you were sitting on the toilet or were in the shower, which do you prefer to have happen? The phone rings, or your doorbell rings?
Neither should we have to tolerate. Plus, this is just not going to happen. The god-pumpers count on the element of surprise, so they can catch you off guard and try to get in their spiel. They are not going to call to get your permission for them to COME BOTHER YOU.

No one should be subjected to disturbance of their quiet enjoyment, by phone or by personal contact.

It's not a matter of which is the greatest burden, I should be subjected to no burden at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top