Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
At the end of the day, the only way you can know for sure if evolution took place the way scientists say it did is if you operate in the 4th dimension, and even then, there are multiple realities. The only person that I suspect operates in the 4th dimension is Mircea, but even he couldn't possibly have access to the 5th dimension.

Or... more than likely, he's just really, really smart, and knowledgable. But the way he discusses history is as if he's actually experienced it for himself.

Anyway, until scientist figure out a way to unlock the 5th dimension, I still believe in Christ. Honestly, call me ignorant, but even if they had access to all possible world histories, my faith is unwavering. I refuse to live a life of hopelessness. There must be something else out there.
Accepting evolution does not require you to give up anything other than belief in Genesis as a literally factual account of the origins of species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I believe in evolution in exactly the same way that I believe in science in general.

Put another way - if evolution isn't fact, then science isn't fact.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times
I do not "believe in" evolution. I merely accept that evolution is currently the best theory (and the only substantiated one) that explains the observed facts and situations at hand.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM

77 posts, read 82,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I have a friend who worked at General Mills in Minneapolis and now works for Cargill, also in Minneapolis.

This person is a microbiologist for these two food giants. I asked what role does evolution play in their line of work.

The answer?

What has been learned from evolutionary theory is critical to the development of modern food processing. If evolution isn't "true" then you might as well say that chocolate yogurt is a miracle. Why? Because the bacteria in chocolate are at odds with the bacteria in yogurt. To blend the two, you have to manipulate the genetics (artificial evolution) of one to successfully integrate with the other.

How this is done is a fast-track duplication of how bacteria would mutate and develop in nature.

And yes, this means the evolution of one species of bacteria into another new species. This process is done everyday in hundreds of laboratories across the world.

If you don't "believe" in evolution, then you'll have to explain why you can enjoy Yoplait Chocolate Yogurt.
To put it another way:

Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
This is a cliche, but it's like asking if you believe in gravity.
Gravity is just a theory, teach the alternative theory!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2364/2...a2b06eda0f.jpg

Courtesy; Poe's Law

Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1jq View Post
Your opinions.
What's to believe? Evolution is not just a theory it is a fact.

It amazes me that there can seriously still be people out there, in educated society, who deny evolution. We are not talking about 'belief' here as in a mental conviction about something unsupported by evidence. The actual evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

Evolution is supported by paleontology and the fossil record, by geology, by comparative morphology and above all, by genetics. And if none of that is enough, because people like to see direct evidence in front of their eyes, evolution is supported by direct observation of natural selection such as the famous example of the peppered moth shown here:

Evolution of the Peppered Moth - YouTube

..an experiment since replicated, improved and confirmed recently by Nobel Prize winning geneticist Michael E. N. Majerus at Cambridge University.

Amazing to me that people can speculate about God, but give them actual evidence of evolution happening in front of their own eyes and they will find a way to deny it.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:12 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Thanks for that. There were attempts to refute - or discredit, rather -the experiment by pointing out that the specimens were taped to the trees. Well, of course they were to ensure that they stayed there and didn't fall off.

The evidence for genetic - based morphological change through adaptation to surrounding ecological conditions was proven. That's what Darwinist evolution claims. It is the same thing, though Creationists try to argue that 'Darwinist evolution' is somehow something different from actual proven evolutionary change, which, it cannot be said often enough, even Creationism now accept as fact. As Fact.

They have retreated to the argument that such changes cannot turn one creature into a recognizably different creature. The 'kinds' of creatures were all created at least something like as they are and were all on the Ark and the various kinds of dog, cat, horse and cow - and butterfly or at least winged insect - evolved at lightning speed into the varieties we have now (which atheist scientists try to make into different 'species' so as to falsely increase the numbers of 'kinds' that had to be on the Ark (1).

Thus the Pepper- moth changes are not evolution, but just 'change'. Or to make it sound scientific, are not 'Macro evolution' of one species into another, but 'Micro -evolution - such as Eohippus to modern horse. They are all still 'horse'.

The logic of this fails because it denies that, over time, such changes could ever become so great that the creature has effectively become totally a different creature. This is as silly as saying that Powered flight is 'unwillingly' accepted but only within a country. To say that one could fly a heavier than air vehicle to another country is ridiculous.

As Cruithne's post said. The fossil evidence and also DNA and in addition morphological evidence is overwhelming that such 'Macro' changes really did occur. Transitional fossils such as the Cetan sequence and the wealth on Dino -to bird fossils - not to mention the hominid fossils - should surely have put such denial to bed.

(1) don't get excited, creationists, this line fails because the fossils of 'kinds' drowned in the flood all had to be on the Ark and they are MORE than the 'species' we have alive today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism