U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
8,190 posts, read 4,380,032 times
Reputation: 5461

Advertisements

I just wanted to say something about Science on this forum generally, sparked partly by Baystaters new thread and his very excellent point about life being a chemical process. Not to detract from this thread at all, but people (myself included) tend to use this atheism forum to post this sort of stuff when ultimately, it's really just about the science.
I don't know about anybody else but most of the time I don't really want to talk about atheism, or defending atheism with science - all I really want to talk about is the science.

But here are some of the problems with posting on the Science forum:
Any threads about the Universe or Cosmology or Evolution etc tend to get a bit lost amongst threads about printers or the latest GPS gadget. The Science forum doesn't get enough traffic or garner the same amount of interest in these kind topics. Take a look at the threads in the general science forum. You are lucky if you get maybe 6 people contributing to the thread. The Space sub-forum seems to get a bit more, but not by much.
What I'm asking is for people to maybe take the time to look in on the Science forum once in a while, if they don't already. All the interesting people seem to hang out on the atheist forum. There are a lot of people on here that write truly interesting stuff that I love to chat with. The problem with that, is it for obvious reasons, it also attracts the god believers (no offence). Once in a while I'd like to have a chat about the universe with like minded people without god constantly popping up in the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
46,519 posts, read 20,002,625 times
Reputation: 20373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
. Once in a while I'd like to have a chat about the universe with like minded people without god constantly popping up in the discussion.
I understand how tedious some of the religiously devoted can be at times, but I fear your desire is not really possible on a board devoted to atheism/agnosticism. The obvious problem is that on a board dedicated to discussing a common disbelief in spiritual explanations for the cosmos, is that it cannot be done without considering and dissecting those spiritualistic explanations.

We also cannot say "No religious persons allowed" because that is the other side of the debate...and there are some religious people who are capable of engaging in worthwhile discussions without trying to convert everyone. The zealots and proselytizers are banned in theory, but some of them try to sneak in from time to time as well.

You might try writing a very specific introduction to a thread you launch, announcing specific limitations and discouraging those who would try to introduce religious explanations. Might not work, but you could try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
8,190 posts, read 4,380,032 times
Reputation: 5461
Well my point was to try to encourage more people to come over to the science forum, instead of just hanging out here (there are very few people to talk to over there) but yes I think you have to be very specific here on this forum.
The Science forum has its own issues. For example, the Space forum has people who believe we have been invaded by aliens and the moon landings were faked and such like so you can't win!
Begs the question though, is the atheist forum just for discussions about atheism? I don't have a problem with theists asking questions on the atheist forum - if anything that's what it's all about - imparting information. But does every subject have to hinge around god or no god? I mean how many discussions can you have about this stuff?? (Many it seems) Or can it be a place for atheists to hang out and discuss anything generally, unhindered by god dropping in (being as you say, very specific about that). Maybe a mod could answer this for me?
I do agree, often theists have valuable contributions to pay (Lickety Split is an example that comes to mind) depending on the subject matter. I guess there is nothing to stop a theist dropping into the Science forum either.

I think you are right, if you want a thread to be a little haven free from theism, you have to make that very plain from the outset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
46,519 posts, read 20,002,625 times
Reputation: 20373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't have a problem with theists asking questions on the atheist forum - if anything that's what it's all about - imparting information. But does every subject have to hinge around god or no god? .
What did you have in mind as a topic on this forum which does not relate to god/no god? Who are the best dressed atheists? Who was the greatest atheist athlete of all time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,304 posts, read 9,705,921 times
Reputation: 6202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't know about anybody else but most of the time I don't really want to talk about atheism, or defending atheism with science - all I really want to talk about is the science.
I think if the science being discussed is about origins of life / humanity / evolution or anything else related to evidence for atheism, over on the science forum, you might find theist trolls pursuing you anyway. At least here, people are guaranteed to be interested at least in those science topics, and probably aren't so much gee-whiz science geeks. Just thoughtful, educated people and, yes, the occasional theist / mystic with their push-back -- but I find that even this helps sharpen my thinking.

I tend to be more interested in technology than science; I suppose I get that fix talking with other software developers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
8,190 posts, read 4,380,032 times
Reputation: 5461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What did you have in mind as a topic on this forum which does not relate to god/no god? Who are the best dressed atheists? Who was the greatest atheist athlete of all time?
You have a remarkable ability to often miss the point Grandstander whereas Mordant always gets it. Why is that? Are you being deliberately obtuse? And what is this deep need you have to always get sarcastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think if the science being discussed is about origins of life / humanity / evolution or anything else related to evidence for atheism, over on the science forum, you might find theist trolls pursuing you anyway. At least here, people are guaranteed to be interested at least in those science topics, and probably aren't so much gee-whiz science geeks. Just thoughtful, educated people and, yes, the occasional theist / mystic with their push-back -- but I find that even this helps sharpen my thinking.

I tend to be more interested in technology than science; I suppose I get that fix talking with other software developers.
Any of the topics Mordant mentioned here (thanks Mordant) as well as other topics such as The Big Bang, Genetics, Epigenetics, Particle Physics, and as I mentioned Cosmology. Some of these subjects are discussed widely on here but there are about 2 people who want to discuss them on the Science forum.

Mordent I've noticed a thread running on the Philosophy forum 'Debunking Evolution'. Seems like the Creationists are everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,395 posts, read 10,309,364 times
Reputation: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What did you have in mind as a topic on this forum which does not relate to god/no god? Who are the best dressed atheists? Who was the greatest atheist athlete of all time?
I think I'd win the best dressed atheist! Just FYI Maybe we could have an Miss atheist contest.


P.S. I happen to love a bit of a laugh on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,395 posts, read 10,309,364 times
Reputation: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think if the science being discussed is about origins of life / humanity / evolution or anything else related to evidence for atheism, over on the science forum, you might find theist trolls pursuing you anyway. At least here, people are guaranteed to be interested at least in those science topics, and probably aren't so much gee-whiz science geeks. Just thoughtful, educated people and, yes, the occasional theist / mystic with their push-back -- but I find that even this helps sharpen my thinking.

I tend to be more interested in technology than science; I suppose I get that fix talking with other software developers.
Also, head on over to the history thread. They'll give you a run for your money on some mythology topics. Very interesting indeed. IMO, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 4,236,420 times
Reputation: 2721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I just wanted to say something about Science on this forum generally, sparked partly by Baystaters new thread and his very excellent point about life being a chemical process. Not to detract from this thread at all, but people (myself included) tend to use this atheism forum to post this sort of stuff when ultimately, it's really just about the science.
I don't know about anybody else but most of the time I don't really want to talk about atheism, or defending atheism with science - all I really want to talk about is the science.

But here are some of the problems with posting on the Science forum:
Any threads about the Universe or Cosmology or Evolution etc tend to get a bit lost amongst threads about printers or the latest GPS gadget. The Science forum doesn't get enough traffic or garner the same amount of interest in these kind topics. Take a look at the threads in the general science forum. You are lucky if you get maybe 6 people contributing to the thread. The Space sub-forum seems to get a bit more, but not by much.
What I'm asking is for people to maybe take the time to look in on the Science forum once in a while, if they don't already. All the interesting people seem to hang out on the atheist forum. There are a lot of people on here that write truly interesting stuff that I love to chat with. The problem with that, is it for obvious reasons, it also attracts the god believers (no offence). Once in a while I'd like to have a chat about the universe with like minded people without god constantly popping up in the discussion.



Great point. It seems like it would make sense it the Atheism sub forum was added to a Science one with other associated sub forums. If "Atheism" as a sub forum was truly apart from the Religion and Spirituality forum then time wasting bible thumper posts could just be deleted or moved since they would be off topic and definitely in the wrong forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
46,519 posts, read 20,002,625 times
Reputation: 20373
Cruithne
Quote:
You have a remarkable ability to often miss the point Grandstander whereas Mordant always gets it. Why is that?
Because I know that Mordant has it covered. Avoids redundancy.

Quote:
And what is this deep need you have to always get sarcastic?
It is my way of making the point, and you often don't seem to get it. Why is that?

Go back to my first post...my original point...I'm suggesting that you go ahead and try whatever it is that you have in mind and cautioning you to be as specific and limiting as you can make it in order to avoid the derailments you are anticipating.

Instead of this thread about how difficult it is to do what you wish to do, start a thread with what you wish to do and hope for the best.

Last edited by Grandstander; 03-18-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top