U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2021, 11:19 AM

21,471 posts, read 5,771,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I ran out of things to binge watch so decided to listen to this podcast by two atheists Ricky Gervais and Sam Harris.

I've just listened to the first 3 episodes so far.

I found it very entertaining so far but I love this kind of thing. Might not be everyone else's cup of tea. Episode 3 touches on a lot of the things we have been discussing in threads over on R&S in recent days.

I've been resisting buying this only because I'm a cheapskate but glad I did - it's worth the $15

Absolutelymental.com

https://absolutelymental.com
My wife recently got us going on the mini-series "Winds of War." Not sure how that came about, and she doesn't usually have much patience for older stuff, but the first episode has me interested in watching more. (Not about religion or spirituality of course).

Ever seen the movie "Religulous?"

Insulting to some, but I found it somewhat insightful with regard to what people come to believe and/or what makes them "tick." I suspect you probably have seen that one already. Hard to believe in many ways, but true!

Sounds like "Absolutely Mental" would be worth watching for me too, but my wife is not as interested in the likes...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 12:55 PM

9,080 posts, read 4,938,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
My wife recently got us going on the mini-series "Winds of War." Not sure how that came about, and she doesn't usually have much patience for older stuff, but the first episode has me interested in watching more. (Not about religion or spirituality of course).

Ever seen the movie "Religulous?"

Insulting to some, but I found it somewhat insightful with regard to what people come to believe and/or what makes them "tick." I suspect you probably have seen that one already. Hard to believe in many ways, but true!

Sounds like "Absolutely Mental" would be worth watching for me too, but my wife is not as interested in the likes...
AbsolutelyMental is a podcast so just audio.
I listen to it while I'm doing jobs around the house.

Actually I've never seen religulous.

Things I have binge watched lately:
Bridgerton. It was okay but almost all of the characters are annoying so I don't think I'll go back for series2.
Last Tango in Halifax. Liked it. Addictive.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:30 AM

27,764 posts, read 8,845,617 times
I Binge how the universe works (many forms of it now), mutant planet, biology stuff, and how things work. From transistors, electric motors, pumps, everything. "adders", adders are really cool in computers.

Of course, understanding all that stuff is pointless. I might as well stab myself in the face with a spoon when talking about beliefs with people.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
AbsolutelyMental is a podcast so just audio.
I listen to it while I'm doing jobs around the house.

Actually I've never seen religulous.

Things I have binge watched lately:
Bridgerton. It was okay but almost all of the characters are annoying so I don't think I'll go back for series2.
Last Tango in Halifax. Liked it. Addictive.
Podcast. Got it. I don't find the time or circumstances to get into listening to podcasts unless I'm on a long road trip...

If you want a rather amusing watch about what makes religious people tick, do see "Religulous." A word of warning however, some scenes can be disturbing.

The most recent show we have got into that proved entertaining and interesting in many ways is this one:
https://www.history.com/shows/alone

The HISTORY Channel’s hit survival series “Alone” is back like never before and taking place in the most dangerous location yet. In Season 8, 10 contestants fight to survive in the Canadian wilderness on the shores of Chilko Lake, British Columbia. Equipped with just 10 items and a camera kit, each participant must survive in total isolation, with the hopes of lasting the longest and winning the $500,000 prize. Not only must they endure hunger, loneliness and the elements, but this season, they also face the deadliest predator in North America: the grizzly bear. No camera crews. No gimmicks. It is the ultimate test of human will.

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-21-2021 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2021, 12:11 PM

In another thread, you posted this comment...

"Most people are theists. If you stopped being friends with someone because they believe in god, you'd have very few friends."

I have a very good friend. We got so close growing up, I can't imagine a brother being any more close. Best of high school buddies. Took a trip to Europe straight out of high school together. (Got in a serious car accident together in Germany where I camped next to the hospital for a week while he recovered in the hospital. He in a room next to the plain clothes German police officer we put in the hospital as well). Went to college and shared an apartment together. We have remained the best of friends until Covid came along and made our visits and communications less often. Less and less often over time...

Wasn't really Covid that became the wedge but the fact that my friend is a part of a group of very conservative friends, Trump supporters. Anti-vaxxers and certainly anti-Biden and/or anything even remotely liberal. How we remained friends all these years coming from different ideological perspectives was something I always considered a testament to the strength of our friendship born from all else that made us friends having nothing to do with politics.

But over time, this perspective of his so very different from mine has found a way to work it's way between us. Beginning most seriously when his father died during the pandemic. I was also very close to his father and of course under normal circumstances I would not have thought twice about going to the funeral service, but during the pandemic? To a funeral service with people who were "not drinking that Covid cool aid?" Some 200 people who didn't need no stinking masks?

I hadn't seen my own kids or mother in months, and I did my best to explain to my long-time friend why I just couldn't go, but somehow that was a watershed moment. Even though he fully understood my reasons as he always tends to do (he was voted most popular at our high school for a reason), this mental divide keeps coming up as he continues to march to a drum completely different from mine. Tells me he doesn't know ONE person other than me who thinks the mask and social distancing and the rest is necessary like Fauci wants us all to believe.

Get's a bit more personal when he continues to go the way of no vaccination as we now start to go backwards, and my son has asthma that puts him among those "at risk." It's getting more difficult for me to think about connecting with my old friend, because it's hard to avoid this "elephant in the room." Though I know we've always been able to put politics aside from what makes our friendship what it is, this is a little different now. I know he associates with a bunch of people (who were/are also my friends), but he in a conservative part of Southern California and me at quite a distance in Northern California, it's like we live in two very different universes now.

I've gone on too long about this, but I find the evaporation of our friendship that comes from time and distance bothering me too much and too often lately, though we don't talk anymore. I'm not inclined to break that trend without him demonstrating a want to do so as well, so the days tick by. More and more without us in touch with each other like once upon a time.

Then again, it's not like when we were kids and more dependent on friendships. Now I'm married, in my 60s and not so much needing other relationships beyond those I enjoy with my family (wife, kids and their significant others). Still, it has bothered me to see how his friendship along with a good many others have seriously dwindled over the years for a variety of reasons. Friendships I used to value tremendously and never thought would end. I've got a few other good friends who DO still stay in touch (one is my old friend's brother-in-law interestingly enough), but too many friends who are no longer a part of my life.

The loss of this one friendship for some reason weighing on me more than most, and I can't seem to shake thinking about it more than I should.

Maybe I should take up listening to more podcasts instead...

Old 07-21-2021, 12:33 PM

based on what I know ... I don't know if its him or you.

I lack belief in it being all one person at this time.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:26 PM

9,080 posts, read 4,938,983 times
Quote:
In another thread, you posted this comment...

"Most people are theists. If you stopped being friends with someone because they believe in god, you'd have very few friends."

I have a very good friend. We got so close growing up, I can't imagine a brother being any more close. Best of high school buddies. Took a trip to Europe straight out of high school together. (Got in a serious car accident together in Germany where I camped next to the hospital for a week while he recovered in the hospital. He in a room next to the plain clothes German police officer we put in the hospital as well). Went to college and shared an apartment together. We have remained the best of friends until Covid came along and made our visits and communications less often. Less and less often over time...

Wasn't really Covid that became the wedge but the fact that my friend is a part of a group of very conservative friends, Trump supporters. Anti-vaxxers and certainly anti-Biden and/or anything even remotely liberal. How we remained friends all these years coming from different ideological perspectives was something I always considered a testament to the strength of our friendship born from all else that made us friends having nothing to do with politics.

But over time, this perspective of his so very different from mine has found a way to work it's way between us. Beginning most seriously when his father died during the pandemic. I was also very close to his father and of course under normal circumstances I would not have thought twice about going to the funeral service, but during the pandemic? To a funeral service with people who were "not drinking that Covid cool aid?" Some 200 people who didn't need no stinking masks?

I hadn't seen my own kids or mother in months, and I did my best to explain to my long-time friend why I just couldn't go, but somehow that was a watershed moment. Even though he fully understood my reasons as he always tends to do (he was voted most popular at our high school for a reason), this mental divide keeps coming up as he continues to march to a drum completely different from mine. Tells me he doesn't know ONE person other than me who thinks the mask and social distancing and the rest is necessary like Fauci wants us all to believe.

Get's a bit more personal when he continues to go the way of no vaccination as we now start to go backwards, and my son has asthma that puts him among those "at risk." It's getting more difficult for me to think about connecting with my old friend, because it's hard to avoid this "elephant in the room." Though I know we've always been able to put politics aside from what makes our friendship what it is, this is a little different now. I know he associates with a bunch of people (who were/are also my friends), but he in a conservative part of Southern California and me at quite a distance in Northern California, it's like we live in two very different universes now.

I've gone on too long about this, but I find the evaporation of our friendship that comes from time and distance bothering me too much and too often lately, though we don't talk anymore. I'm not inclined to break that trend without him demonstrating a want to do so as well, so the days tick by. More and more without us in touch with each other like once upon a time.

Then again, it's not like when we were kids and more dependent on friendships. Now I'm married, in my 60s and not so much needing other relationships beyond those I enjoy with my family (wife, kids and their significant others). Still, it has bothered me to see how his friendship along with a good many others have seriously dwindled over the years for a variety of reasons. Friendships I used to value tremendously and never thought would end. I've got a few other good friends who DO still stay in touch (one is my old friend's brother-in-law interestingly enough), but too many friends who are no longer a part of my life.

The loss of this one friendship for some reason weighing on me more than most, and I can't seem to shake thinking about it more than I should.

Maybe I should take up listening to more podcasts instead...
I'm very very sorry to hear this story.

Sadly yours is the same as many, many similar stories I've heard in the last 4 years.
Someone joined me up to a Facebook group which consisted of liberal women living (and drowning) in a sea of right-wing friends and family members that they don't recognise anymore.
No idea why someone thought I'd be interested in joining this group because my life is not like that at all.
But anyway, I was struck every single day not so much by the stories of these women whose husband's/ brothers / sisters / mothers who wouldn't talk to them anymore, but by the thousands of responses of people who shared the same experience.
I knew this was going on, but I was shocked by the scale.
Women whose own mothers disowned them. Over a self absorbed narcissist they'd never even met.
Anyway I'm risking talking about politics here so I will leave it.

Sadly, sometimes friendships run their course.
I guess you are both very different people now from when you were kids.
You have probably done well maintaining the friendship for as long as you have so don't feel bad.
No reason why you can't keep in touch through birthday cards and so on.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:49 PM

17,669 posts, read 16,046,853 times
Quote:
Podcast. Got it. I don't find the time or circumstances to get into listening to podcasts unless I'm on a long road trip...

If you want a rather amusing watch about what makes religious people tick, do see "Religulous." A word of warning however, some scenes can be disturbing.

The most recent show we have got into that proved entertaining and interesting in many ways is this one:
https://www.history.com/shows/alone

The HISTORY Channel’s hit survival series “Alone” is back like never before and taking place in the most dangerous location yet. In Season 8, 10 contestants fight to survive in the Canadian wilderness on the shores of Chilko Lake, British Columbia. Equipped with just 10 items and a camera kit, each participant must survive in total isolation, with the hopes of lasting the longest and winning the $500,000 prize. Not only must they endure hunger, loneliness and the elements, but this season, they also face the deadliest predator in North America: the grizzly bear. No camera crews. No gimmicks. It is the ultimate test of human will.
that sounds like someone writing advertising copy

of course the show is a gimmick. It is a gimmick for the show to get viewers, and a gimmick for the contestants to get money, and a gimmick for the network to sell advertising and garner ratings. it's a gimmick that the footage is edited and strung together and sequenced by producers for deliberate and misleading dramatic effect.

the contestants are not in total isolation. the producers yes on location regularly replenish the video card and batteries for the equipment and cameras that contestants are using to record footage. The producers check on the contestants on a regular basis, at least nightly. viewers have noted that scenes appear staged, and are skeptical of the dramatic moments that they see on their screens. The situation "isn’t as dire as we are led to believe, and food is often easily available in one form or another in the surroundings. Though alone in the wilderness, the contestants aren’t too far from civilization, and medical checkups are frequently conducted for them." so no not a "dangerous location" because actually not far from civilization, with food easily available, nightly check ins, batteries for cameras provided, a GPS satellite phone provided, and regular medical check ups frequently occur.

https://thecinemaholic.com/is-alone-scripted-or-real/

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-21-2021 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-21-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I'm very very sorry to hear this story.

Sadly yours is the same as many, many similar stories I've heard in the last 4 years.
Someone joined me up to a Facebook group which consisted of liberal women living (and drowning) in a sea of right-wing friends and family members that they don't recognise anymore.
No idea why someone thought I'd be interested in joining this group because my life is not like that at all.
But anyway, I was struck every single day not so much by the stories of these women whose husband's/ brothers / sisters / mothers who wouldn't talk to them anymore, but by the thousands of responses of people who shared the same experience.
I knew this was going on, but I was shocked by the scale.
Women whose own mothers disowned them. Over a self absorbed narcissist they'd never even met.
Anyway I'm risking talking about politics here so I will leave it.

Sadly, sometimes friendships run their course.
I guess you are both very different people now from when you were kids.
You have probably done well maintaining the friendship for as long as you have so don't feel bad.
No reason why you can't keep in touch through birthday cards and so on.
I have a sister that is left wing. Try as we may, try as we might, to explain ourselves she doesn't care. And we are more in the middle. She doesn't care that we start at the event that started the whole problem.

She doesn't care how much money we dumped into the system and people didn't take responsibility and make something of themselves. She is utterly controlled by her feelings.

My sister is drowning. And it isn't our fault.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that sounds like someone writing advertising copy

of course the show is a gimmick. It is a gimmick for the show to get viewers, and a gimmick for the contestants to get money, and a gimmick for the network to sell advertising and garner ratings. it's a gimmick that the footage is edited and strung together and sequenced by producers for deliberate and misleading dramatic effect.

the contestants are not in total isolation. the producers yes on location regularly replenish the video card and batteries for the equipment and cameras that contestants are using to record footage. The producers check on the contestants on a regular basis, at least nightly. viewers have noted that scenes appear staged, and are skeptical of the dramatic moments that they see on their screens. The situation "isn’t as dire as we are led to believe, and food is often easily available in one form or another in the surroundings. Though alone in the wilderness, the contestants aren’t too far from civilization, and medical checkups are frequently conducted for them." so no not a "dangerous location" because actually not far from civilization, with food easily available, nightly check ins, batteries for cameras provided, a GPS satellite phone provided, and regular medical check ups frequently occur.

https://thecinemaholic.com/is-alone-scripted-or-real/
Funny because I noted much you comment about to my wife as well. I'm not one typically blind to "gimmicks" as a rule, and although I noticed a thing or two about this show that suggested it was not all as ALONE as the producers wanted viewers to believe, there was enough about the show that made it realistic and entertaining enough nevertheless.

For example, the show starts with 10 people competing for the prize money. They are asked to chronicle their experiences on a camcorder they are given when they are dropped off in their remote spot where they are clearly needing to survive the elements and threats as best they can. Gimicks or not, the 10 all do quite differently, and the reasons the 9 "tap out" before the "last man standing" are recorded and altogether authentic for all practical purposes.

That was/is at least the source of entertainment for my wife and I, even though we both readily recognize the producers of the show had to provide that level of "true test of nature" without doing so recklessly or irresponsibly just for the sake of increasing viewership.

You are a sharp lady in some ways, but frankly it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize one death on the show and the producers would have "hell to pay."

"That's entertainment!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism