Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Lovely post Joan. We need a bit of uplifting sometimes around here. I enjoyed Mordants post too.
Coming from the UK I also like a bit of rain (well up to a point, not to flooding levels obviously) and LOVE the snow. So do my kids.
It's most bizarre living where I live now. It is sunny practically every day. I live enough miles from San Francisco that the famous fog doesn't reach us, so its always nice. But you don't necessarily want sun every single day. I miss the cold, the wind, the rain and the snow and the variety. And its very bizarre to witness the leaves falling in autumn yet the weather is still like summer, and we get this eerie orange light with really long shadows. Something to do with the latitude I guess. So yes, embrace the rain. I always think its what gives the planet life.
Mind you my family back home have been complaining that they have had two years bad weather due to an unusual shift in the gulf stream. So I'm not wishing for the rain too badly.
What say you Arequipa? How you holding up with the UK weather?
Damned if I know. I spend spend my days in a dressing -gown typing grumpy atheist posts...with the curtains drawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Damned if I know. I spend spend my days in a dressing -gown typing grumpy atheist posts...with the curtains drawn.
Haha. What you need is an iphone or an Android. Then you could get out and about in the sunshine and type grumpy atheist posts (please not in your dressing gown, people might think that's weird).

Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Haha. What you need is an iphone or an Android. Then you could get out and about in the sunshine and type grumpy atheist posts (please not in your dressing gown, people might think that's weird).
What they think is weird is when I answer the door in a sarong.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
'WONDERS OF LIFE' new series starts tonight at 9pm on the Science Channel. Yay!

This is the third of Brian Cox 'wonders' series following on from 'Wonders of the Solar System' and 'Wonders of the Universe'.
This is a fabulous series - I guarantee you will enjoy.
(Even though I already have the series on DVD - I'm a huge Brian Cox fan)

Edit:
Darn it started yesterday. Curse this Pacific time difference..
Anyway here's the link:

http://science.discovery.com/tv-show...v-schedule.htm

Last edited by Cruithne; 07-11-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 03:27 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,276 times
Quote:
'WONDERS OF LIFE' new series starts tonight at 9pm on the Science Channel. Yay!

This is the third of Brian Cox 'wonders' series following on from 'Wonders of the Solar System' and 'Wonders of the Universe'.
This is a fabulous series - I guarantee you will enjoy.
(Even though I already have the series on DVD - I'm a huge Brian Cox fan)

Edit:
Darn it started yesterday. Curse this Pacific time difference..
Anyway here's the link:

Wonders with Brian Cox TV Schedule : Science Channel
Thanks! I love all things nature and science. Well almost all. You can have the snakes and creepy things. lol

Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 PM

304 posts, read 471,993 times
Talking Found this definition of spiritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What exactly is a "spiritual person?" Spiritual references intangibles and thus is subject to no test of any sort to determine validity. Whenever I encounter anyone advertising themselves as "spiritual", immediately lights go on, alarms go off....this is someone who is just making stuff up and covering it with a bogus aura of depth.

Because spiritual can be anything, it is actually nothing.

Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live. ...

Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live. ...
or a desire to memorize fortune cookies, put on a deerskin robe, and set up a stand on a sidewalk at a city intersection with a sign that says, "Wisdom of the Ancients Sold Here, Cheap!!!!"

A couple nights ago, I sat in a chair, in a room, slightly intoxicated, staring ahead and listening to music and people's voices for about an hour and a half, neither moving or talking. It was a deeply spiritual experience.

So is listening to the drone of cicadas at night, particularly if there's frogs croaking alongside them.

So is swimming in a lake. Swimming in a pool does not seem to be, but swimming in a lake is.

Another spiritual experience has been watching "The Three Stooges" videos after midnight.

Another was reading "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. Most books do not a provide a spiritual reaction. All those books did. "Jurassic Park" by Michael Crichton did. Greg Bear's "The Forge of God" did.

I think such things vary depending on the person though.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-11-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What exactly is a "spiritual person?" Spiritual references intangibles and thus is subject to no test of any sort to determine validity. Whenever I encounter anyone advertising themselves as "spiritual", immediately lights go on, alarms go off....this is someone who is just making stuff up and covering it with a bogus aura of depth.

Because spiritual can be anything, it is actually nothing.
There is not a single spiritual person in true meaning, that will go on TV. It's below them. Matter of fact, your chances of ever encountering a true spiritual person in life are very slim.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is not a single spiritual person in true meaning, that will go on TV. It's below them. Matter of fact, your chances of ever encountering a true spiritual person in life are very slim.
Name one person you think is likely spiritual...or what characteristics a spiritual person might have. Don't respond if it's too much of an inconvenience. Defining these types of things can sometimes take more effort than we assume.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I make the odds of encountering a true spiritual person to be zero chances. The odds of encountering people claiming to be spiritual persons are disappointingly favorable.

Emotions are ephemeral, fleeting congresses of chemicals which have gathered in reaction to some stimulation. When the stimulation evaporates, the chemicals retreat and only a memory of how you felt remains.

That does not strike me as a solid basis around which to construct any theories of cosmic forces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism