Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,267,502 times

Advertisements

No, because it doesn't take up much of my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 PM

707 posts, read 683,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Thank you, my first laugh of the day.
No problem...glad I could help.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 PM

278 posts, read 305,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Quite true. It IS important. But if someone simply doesn't have the interest in engaging in the religion debate, that is absolutely fine. So long as they have shrugged off the religious delusion they have done all I could ask of them and more.

Ps. Do I gather that Steel Dragon is not just a deconvert but a relatively recent one who dunnit before our werry eyes, as it were?
A deconvert? Nah.... That is surely never going to happen.
Thanks all for the thoughtful responses.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 AM

15,084 posts, read 14,250,532 times
Quote:
Ever Get Tired of Atheism?

No. How can I get tired of NOT being something? It's like asking me if I get tired of not believing in leprechauns, not eating cats or not scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,155,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No. How can I get tired of NOT being something? It's like asking me if I get tired of not believing in leprechauns, not eating cats or not scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef.
Exactly.
Makes no sense.
It's as if atheism was a group you choose to join.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,145,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
I'm spending less and less time thinking about this anymore. At first, it was awe-inspiring to free my mind from this man-made nonsense. Then, it was the fresh air of science and understanding the universe through natural methodology, and the intellectual satisfaction that followed. Afterwards, it was chasing the dragon; trying to find something equally compelling to fill the void of 'Does god exist?" Now, it's just beating a dead horse. We don't sit around thinking about fairies and unicorns. Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
Hmmmm... I don't quite understand by the part I boldfaced. You mean trying to find something as intellectually stimulating as trying to answer that question?

It sounds to me like you're comfortable enough in your atheism that it's old hat to you. To me, that's a good thing, because it would indicate that it's just another part of you, and not the sole thing by which you define yourself as a human being. For you, you don't believe in a deity, and that's that. Nothing more to discuss here. There's nothing wrong with that.

Once I got to that point, I set the atheist part of my life toward fighting discrimination and helping it become more mainstream. I'm not interested in debating beliefs--people believe what they believe and it's their right to believe it--but I am interested in separation of church and state and protecting citizens from the tyranny of those who would make their religious beliefs the law of the land for all of us. That's a fight worth fighting: I am a woman who does not want to see her fellow women ever have to resort to back-alley abortions and coat-hangers ever again.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,751,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
I'm spending less and less time thinking about this anymore. At first, it was awe-inspiring to free my mind from this man-made nonsense. Then, it was the fresh air of science and understanding the universe through natural methodology, and the intellectual satisfaction that followed. Afterwards, it was chasing the dragon; trying to find something equally compelling to fill the void of 'Does god exist?" Now, it's just beating a dead horse. We don't sit around thinking about fairies and unicorns. Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
That's pretty much how it's been for me.

I went through the questioning stage, the fact finding stage, the acceptance stage... now, I've extricated religiousness from my life to the point that my lack of belief rarely even factors into my day to day life. I actually like it like this; I can focus on much more pressing and interesting things.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 AM

110 posts, read 258,342 times
No because Atheism is what makes sense to me so im not thinking what if or this or that. I find religions to be a total waste of time I don't have enough time for fairytales in my life.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 AM

18,438 posts, read 18,551,251 times
How can you get tired of something that doesnt come knocking on your door trying to tempt you to see the light....

Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,762,532 times
For a while I would go over to Youtube and I would debate some of the young and not so young atheists...when I check my Youtube inbox and it is an old reply from an atheist - I dread opening it up and getting re-involved- Most of them are all the same with the same rhetoric and the same attitude. Almost all of them never want to have a conversation that is based on an intellectual basis. All I see is "proof" and "sky daddy" and "tooth fairy" over and over again and "gawd" - which shows contempt and loathing for any possibility of a supreme force or source...Once in a while I will run into a bright one that can reason.

My first experience with an atheist was in my 20s - it was a friend of my sister...he was a musician and amateur astronomer. We would look through his large reflector telescope and he would say "What a mess- I could have designed the universe better" - I asked him to explain some of the things we were looking at and he in arrogance and pride would say "Explaining to you is like trying to explain the moon to a dog"....

Well this guy in years to come left mayhem and suffering in what ever he touched. He married - had two children...They young woman was very impressed with him "Ron is the finest man the 20th century has ever produced. Well Ron did not play by the rules. Eventually Ron thought that he would toy with nature...He started taking hormones and grew breasts...and dressed like a woman...The finest man the 20th century caused his wife such distress that she went out to the truck and put a gun in her mouth and ended her life.

Later there were rumors that he had sexually abused his young daughters....Later I saw this creep at a school function- he was back to being a male again and was very proud of dating transgender folks...I would say this atheist was about the worst example of an atheist I had the misfortune to know.

That was about 20 years ago....when I had heard his young wife had committed suicide I was shocked but not surprised. I lost a lot of respect for atheism because of this horrid character...He was not just an atheist - but a man who played god and was not very good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism