Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

I can solved your problem. Don't treat atheism like you'd treat a religion. It's not, we try and warn people of this over and over and over again but it's true. Of course you're bored, you aren't in a organized religion, your just an atheist because you don't believe in a God nor do you belong to a group that worships one . Get a hobby. Or, become a Theist if you desire entertainment with what you believe.

I believe that all should have equality, including those religions not on the radar so my activism isn't backed by my atheism, but my human want for equality. I could be a Jew and desire the same things. I also enjoy music, etc. Other than my outside interests being a non believer doesn't entertain me in the slightest, and I enjoy that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 11:13 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
When some people think about the possibility of a Creator, it upsets them to think that someone might have the power to prevent human suffering, but appearing unwilling to use it. So, when faced with atrocities, many find it difficult to believe in an Almighty God, or they seek solace in the idea that one cannot exist. And I get that. But it never legitimizes for me, the the purpose of prolonged atheistic diologue.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
When some people think about the possibility of a Creator, it upsets them to think that someone might have the power to prevent human suffering, but appearing unwilling to use it. So, when faced with atrocities, many find it difficult to believe in an Almighty God, or they seek solace in the idea that one cannot exist. And I get that. But it never legitimizes for me, the the purpose of prolonged atheistic diologue.
Have you ever tried asking how instead of why? Instead of why is their disease, the earth, the universe I ask how. Funny, I just said this in another thread but it's what, as you would say, legitimizes it for me. I cannot begin to ask why before I know how something happens.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
I'm spending less and less time thinking about this anymore. At first, it was awe-inspiring to free my mind from this man-made nonsense. Then, it was the fresh air of science and understanding the universe through natural methodology, and the intellectual satisfaction that followed. Afterwards, it was chasing the dragon; trying to find something equally compelling to fill the void of 'Does god exist?" Now, it's just beating a dead horse. We don't sit around thinking about fairies and unicorns. Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
This debate has been over for decades but freeing other minds should never end.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I have just discovered this forum. I know of only one other atheist. So I like looking at this forum and seeing what people have to say. The forum is new to me atheism isn't.

I usually don't think about atheism unless the subject of religion comes up in my non-cyber life. But sometimes when I see theists calling upon god for this or that or blaming god for this or that or evoking the name of god for this or that my atheism is aroused. Kind of like a jack-in-the-box. "Pop goes the atheist." And I think well, if it makes them happy..........

But seriously folks, I am enjoying this forum if for no other reason I find that there are so many intelligently written and thought-out posts here with perfect grammar and spelling it makes me want to run for my dictionary and thesaurus. It is really a treat to read the thoughts and ideas of the posters on this forum.

I do not consider atheism as a religion. There is no "Church of Atheism" although here in Portland we used to have a "Church of Elvis" which came pretty close. I consider "atheism" to be a term meaning the disbelief in a deity. Maybe one can call it a philosophy. I don't know. But get tired of it? Maybe there are those who get tired of discussing it. I can see that but I don't think I could be tired of that which I believe or maybe I should say don't believe.

So, no, I don't think I will ever get "tired" atheism.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Not as tired as I get having to listen to how great god is and how he saves everyone.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
How can one get tired of not believing something? I'm wondering what the OP gets tired of not believing.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I usually don't think about atheism unless the subject of religion comes up in my non-cyber life. But sometimes when I see theists calling upon god for this or that or blaming god for this or that or evoking the name of god for this or that my atheism is aroused. ...
That's exactly it. Thinking back it was only ever some god -botherer, individual or collective coming and preaching or evangelizing to me that set me off.

While thinking about it would set me reading and thinking, it was only coming to me with unsubstantiated faith - claims which I was expected to accept and then join some religious club or other and kick in my dues that set off the militant backlash.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
Atheism started very early on for me when any question I had regarding historical accuracy or scientific evidence was met with the same answers: don't question it, have faith. Point of fact, nuns are terrible in explaining why the Romans would make anyone go back to where they were born just to take a census, kinda defeats the purpose of a census, no? By the time I was in High School i was an atheist, and at times a militant one. Over the years I've had people give me the "Footsteps in the Sand" poem, including this one really, really hot girl in college, damn it. And I've had people leave bibles on my desk at work. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I love reading about evolution, particularly paleoanthropolgy, human evolution. I love reading about geological history and the plate tectonics that make up the earth. Visiting the Hayden Planetarium and the Museum of Natural History or the Boston Museum of Science. I'm in such awe of the people that get to do this for a living. I can't imagine trying to enjoy this pursuit while trying to understand a theological connection. Isn't it fascinating enough to see where we came from, where we're going and not have to figure out how this figures in to a god's plans? To me it's short selling the accomplishments of humans.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,361 times
I've always been an athiest, I've never believed in a God. I don't get tired of it, just like I don't get tired of day dreaming, breathing, being female or doing or being any of the things I've always been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism