Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times

Advertisements

A medical test being developed by Kuwait will be used to 'detect' homosexuals and prevent them from entering the country – or any of the Gulf Cooperation Countries (GCC), according to a Kuwaiti government official.

GCC member countries – Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates – already deem homosexual acts unlawful.

Read more: Gulf states to introduce medical testing on travellers to 'detect' gay people and stop them from entering the country | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
Sad.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
From the linked article:
Quote:
Sudan: For homosexual men, lashes are given for the first offence, with the death penalty following the third offence.
I read Michael Caine's autobiography and in it he tells the story of his first starring role in the film "Zulu." It was produced and directed by Stanley Baker (who also starred in it) and the cast traveled with him to South Africa where the movie would be shot. (this was in the '60's when apartheid was still in full effect.)

When they arrived at the airport they were met by a South African official who read them a list of apartheid laws and the punishments for breaking them. One was a prohibition against interracial sex which came with a penalty of thirty lashes.

When Baker heard this he interrupted to ask:

"If I'm caught, may I have my lashes while I'm still doing it?"

Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
From the linked article:

I read Michael Caine's autobiography and in it he tells the story of his first starring role in the film "Zulu." It was produced and directed by Stanley Baker (who also starred in it) and the cast traveled with him to South Africa where the movie would be shot. (this was in the '60's when apartheid was still in full effect.)

When they arrived at the airport they were met by a South African official who read them a list of apartheid laws and the punishments which came with breaking them. One was a prohibition against interracial sex which came with a penalty of thirty lashes.

When Baker heard this he interrupted to ask:

"If I'm caught, may I have my lashes while I'm still doing it?"
Yeah it was them damn foreigners (rooinekke: red necks but not the same as the US, this was due to Englishmen getting severe sunburn on their necks) that made all the coloured (bi-racial) folks

Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
This is interesting in that most religious objection to homosexuality is predicated on the notion that it is a lifestyle choice and that there is no genetic or medical basis for it. By developing an objectively valid medical test for homosexuality you are admitting that homosexuality is both real and unchosen. Although it can still then be an "illness" and therefore in theory "curable", a test still undermines the idea that it's "sinful" and therefore punishable. This is really not thinking through the logical / unintended consequences of an idea. Probably because to do so would be to admit it has logical inconsistencies.

Amazing stuff. You couldn't make this up if you tried.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
Is this only going to be for travellers? Or for citizens of the country, too? I wonder if this a precursor to rounding up all those with the gay gene and putting them in camps. Sounds familiar.

Next up, the infidel gene.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
Is this only going to be for travellers? Or for citizens of the country, too? I wonder if this a precursor to rounding up all those with the gay gene and putting them in camps. Sounds familiar.
I'm not seeing any specifics about this "gay test" and my guess is that there is no technology extant today that could reliably detect homosexuality. This will fail to work and will cause lots more problems than it (appears to) solve, I predict.

Although if it did work, it would, hilariously, "out" closeted gays. I say "hilariously" because you can bet that some prominent members of high society including the royal families, would be "detected". It would be hastily rescinded on that basis alone.

If there were a genetic test for homosexuality it would have to do with gene expressions, I'd suppose, rather than the genes themselves anyway. You might be able to detect a latent susceptibility to homosexual attractions but I'd think you'd have the very devil of a time sussing out to what extent it was activated.

Then there's the whole issue of what "homosexuality" is, exactly. Does it include bisexuals? Transsexuals? People who are successfully repressing homosexuality and living a heterosexual life?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm not seeing any specifics about this "gay test" and my guess is that there is no technology extant today that could reliably detect homosexuality. This will fail to work and will cause lots more problems than it (appears to) solve, I predict.
My suspicion is that people who want something like gay detection technology will not care that much if it doesn't actually work. It may operate in a manner akin to Scientology's E-meter which by happy coincidence discovers that all potential recruits are crippled by stress.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My suspicion is that people who want something like gay detection technology will not care that much if it doesn't actually work. It may operate in a manner akin to Scientology's E-meter which by happy coincidence discovers that all potential recruits are crippled by stress.
Yes, I suppose they could just claim it works but refuse to explain how, and then use it to quasi-validate people they will actually eliminate via profiling / blacklisting. It can also be used to exclude / smear political enemies and the like.

This is wrong and illogical on so many levels that it's hard to know where to begin.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Maybe they invented a devide that shows you a picture of a naked male while it examines the iris of your eye to see if it enlarges when you see the picture. If it does, they figure you are homosexual.

Or something like that.

Does anyone else have any theory how a Gaydar device might work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism