Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist.
My hunch is that this is not the first time you've been wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 PM

269 posts, read 208,191 times
Quote:
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist. Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING. Why not Agnostic? To believe that something COULD be out there. It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there. We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there is nothing out there? No God? No driving force? No chance that something (whether you call it God or being or something else) controls the world?
hi there....
i think this boils down to semantics. since there is no position that is called a-deist... so the
being that would be considered to be a the first uncaused cause, the prime mover as it were, who isn't concerned with humans problems isn't what is being debated. the theists position is to have access to a third party revelation of the all encompassing moral authority of the universe which often times marginalizes people (homosexuals and women in particular). so really, in my opinion it is very easy to be an atheist as it is the neutral position...."make a claim, prove it"

and since we know that our tiny little blue bubble is surrounded by the chaotic events in the universe, our disposition is to try to make sense out of it...why? as rational thinking beings we have no choice but to....

Old 11-17-2013, 01:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist. Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING. Why not Agnostic? To believe that something COULD be out there. It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there. We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there is nothing out there? No God? No driving force? No chance that something (whether you call it God or being or something else) controls the world?
Nope, the impossible (or is really really difficult) is for those taught, indoctrinated, programmed, brainwashed into the concept of gods to dislodge that concept from their mind. This training started for most victims long before they learned to control their bladder.

After all how long has man been 'looking' and with advances in technology that have improved mans ability to see, everything seen goes to disprove the existence of fictional gods, not just the one, but all of them.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:08 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
People choose the evidence that suits them.
Speak for yourself. I evaluate all the evidence that is presented before me and I modify my world view, regardless of whether it "suits" me or not, to fit the evidence. If you go around picking and choosing the evidence that fits your agenda then so be it.... but do not do it while thinking everyone else does too.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Really?

How many Christians, Muslims or Jews believe in Thor, Zeus, Zoroaster or Horus?

If they are atheists about those gods, meaning they don't believe in them, what's so hard to fathom that an atheist does not believe in your god?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
I'm an atheist.

Quote:
Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING.
There is something....the chicken shwarama at al-Amir....it is to die for.

Only a god-thing could have created something so delightfully delectable. That, and gyros. And Skyline Chili. And Moo Goo Gai Pan.

Quote:
Why not Agnostic?
Because it is neither what I believe or know to be true.

Quote:
It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there.
There is nothing out there.

Even the people who are "out there" are nothing (even though they are "out there").

Quote:
We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there is nothing out there?
Aside from various forms of electromagnetic radiation, a lot of dust and debris from destruction, and planetary bodies and stars, there is nothing out there.

In space, no one can hear you scream....or say anything at all for that matter.

Quote:
No God?
No god.

Quote:
No driving force?
A driving force is not a god-thing....note that a 7 Iron or rapid combustion --- like from an explosive device --- are driving forces.

So are pieces of metal.

Shrapnel from an RPG blew off a guy's leg and the force drove the leg through the air until it hit my radio operator and knocked him to the ground (which most likely saved his life).

Should I set up an altar and shrine to the RPG or to the Air Mobile Traumatically Amputated Leg?

A holiday for the Air Mobile Traumatically Amputated Leg tomorrow.

Quote:
No chance that something (whether you call it God or being or something else) controls the world?
I think right now, Stupidity controls the world.

Emphatically...

Mircea

Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I think right now, Stupidity controls the world. Mircea
Lol ... I saw comedian Lewis Black recently. He said that it would surprise most people that he is an optimist. "I wake up every morning with the innocence and enthusiasm of a newborn evangelical Christian! I know that people can't be this stupid FOR EVER. Surely today is the day that everyone will wake up and quit being idiots. And then I have my morning coffee and start reading the newspaper, and I say, "S__T!". Well ... maybe tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol ... I saw comedian Lewis Black recently. He said that it would surprise most people that he is an optimist. "I wake up every morning with the innocence and enthusiasm of a newborn evangelical Christian! I know that people can't be this stupid FOR EVER. Surely today is the day that everyone will wake up and quit being idiots. And then I have my morning coffee and start reading the newspaper, and I say, "S__T!". Well ... maybe tomorrow.
Funny.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
How many gods do you have to not believe in to be considered an atheist?

Everyone is an atheist, not believing in thousands of gods, some of us have just a slightly longer list.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:17 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Well obviously not. Many of us are termed "atheists"...

Quote:
Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING. Why not Agnostic? To believe that something COULD be out there. It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there.
For someone who just finished presuming to know what the entire world believes (that "there is SOMETHING"), that means a lot.

Well, as others have told you, atheism isn't necessarily a belief that there isn't a god; it's just a lack of belief in one. The terms 'theist' and 'atheist' pertain to belief or lack of belief in the existence of any deities; the terms 'gnostic' and 'agnostic' pertain to belief or lack of belief in the possibility of knowing whether there is a god. So, ultimately:

You can be agnostic while being either theist or atheist.

Gnostic Theist - "I know there is a god!"
Agnostic Theist - "I don't know there is a god, but I believe. That's why they call it faith."
Gnostic Atheist - "I know there isn't a god!"
Agnostic Atheist - "I don't know if there is a god, but I don't believe there is."

That's me, in the last group.

And I think it's just as "arrogant" to think you know there is a god, particularly if you think this god (creator of the entire universe and time itself) cares all that much about little old you. But to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism