Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which kind of atheist are you (see first post for definitions)
Intellectual Atheist/Agnostic. 1 14.29%
Activist. 2 28.57%
Seeker-Agnostic. 1 14.29%
Anti-Theist. 1 14.29%
Non-Theist. 1 14.29%
Ritual Atheist/Agnostic. 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Researchers at the University of Tennessee performed a study of non-believers and based upon that research established six basic types of atheist.

1. Intellectual Atheist/Agnostic. This group enjoys intellectual discourse, and while they’re often very certain about their beliefs, they’re not belligerent about it. These types often get mistaken for dogmatic atheists, however, because they have a tendency to join skeptic’s groups or otherwise find avenues to discuss non-belief with others. However, as researchers note, these non-believers “associate with fellow intellectuals regardless of the other’s ontological position,” so long as their friends “versed and educated on various issues of science, philosophy, ‘rational’ theology, and common socio-political religious dialog.” They like debating religion, but aren’t particularly interested in chasing down believers to give them a hard time.

2. Activist. This group also gets commonly accused of being dogmatic, but like the intellectual atheist, while they’re firm in their beliefs, they’re intellectually flexible and don’t prioritize attacking believers. Instead, they are motivated by a strong sense of humanist values to make change in the world, often making related issues—such as feminism, gay rights, or the environment—a priority over simply advocating atheism. This group also advocates for a better, more egalitarian atheist community, according to researchers: “They seek to be both vocal and proactive regarding current issues in the atheist and/or agnostic socio-political sphere.”

3. Seeker-Agnostic. This group, which makes up 7.6 percent of non-believers, are unlikely to be as critical of religion as most other groups. They prioritize not-knowingness. If you ever come across people saying, “I don’t know, but neither do you!” regarding religious belief, you’re dealing with a seeker-agnostic.

4. Anti-Theist. This group tends to get conflated with all atheists by believers, but they only constitute 15 percent of non-believers. Like the Intellectual Atheists, they like to argue about religion, but they are much more aggressive about it and actively seek out religious people in an effort to disabuse them of their beliefs. While most atheists limit themselves to supporting a more secular society, anti-theists tend to view ending religion as the real goal.

5. Non-Theist. They don’t believe in any gods, but don’t think about those who do very often. In such a religious society, simply opting out of caring much about religion one way or another is nearly impossible, which is why this group is only 4.4 percent of non-believers. “A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion,”

6. Ritual Atheist/Agnostic. While you might think the anti-theist is the non-believer type that scares Christians the most, it turns out that it may very well be the Ritual Atheist/Agnostic. This group, making up 12.5 percent of atheists, doesn’t really believe in the supernatural, but they do believe in the community aspects of their religious tradition enough to continue participating. We’re not just talking about atheists who happen to have a Christmas tree, but who tend to align themselves with a religious tradition even while professing no belief.

See the original story for more information and definitional details.

6 kinds of atheists and non-believers in America - Salon.com

Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Not sure....which of the above would best contain..."Makes no pretense of knowing the answers while viewing religion with bemused contempt?"

Old 11-12-2013, 06:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Not sure....which of the above would best contain..."Makes no pretense of knowing the answers while viewing religion with bemused contempt?"
Well these classifications are never spot on in every case but I feel fairly confident that you you would feel right at home with the Anti-Theist.

So Just Pick One Damn It!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:35 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,887 times
I'm with Grandstander.

Seems kind of pretentious to put people in boxes like that.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:40 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times
Sometimes I am one and sometimes I am another. Depends on my mood. It seems most of the descriptions are of bascially the same person but how they vocalize it is a little different. Sometimes I like to bug religious people and sometimes I don't.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
As an agnostic who prefers the term non-believer, I could go with either #1 or #5 (my vote). Number six seems a bit odd to me with the inclusion of "agnostic".

Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Wait a minute. Didn't this exact same thread run its course in the past 3 or 4 months?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Yep.

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...ist-study.html

Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
I am the devil incarnate or incognito. All the 'muricanz expect me to surface in Europe or the ME but I was one step ahead and surfaced in Africa just to mess with their minds. Here I can secretly distribute my ACME acquired guillotines while I wait for the rapture (yes it is real) before we all set out on canoes to 'murica to behead the left behind believers we shall behead if they do not denounce belief in god. mwhahahaha...

Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well these classifications are never spot on in every case but I feel fairly confident that you you would feel right at home with the Anti-Theist.

So Just Pick One Damn It!
As last time around if I were to categorize myself I'd call myself a Humanist which doesn't fit into any of the above categories.

Genuinely I don't fit into any of those categories.

I'd only call myself an intellectual atheist because it sounds good. I'm certainly not an agnostic.

But then I'm not American either so maybe I don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism