Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I was responding to the post below that, which is the post that popped up in the most recent post section.

You can see I quoted that particular post.
Tunnel vision on the forum as in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 01:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
The one thing we can say for theists is that they can ride bicycles backward. They are expert back pedallers.

In the early 90s, was the first time I was made aware of this twaddle, I was still a theist. Back then SA was about to transition to a black majority government and the woo class were looking and hoping for an easy out. The prevailing teaching at that stages was expected return 1998. Seeing the 1988 one failed they had to make an adjustment.

The 88 prediction was loosely based on the formation of the state of Israel (courtesy of the UN and not a messiah) plus Daniels lost generation, a biblical generation being 40 years. They said they made a mistake as the lost generation was in fact a jubilee generation and was in fact 50 years not 40. So 1998 it was.

1998 was also supported by adding 666+666+666. This was to denote the rising of the antichrist = 666, the false prophet = 666 and some other dude. Numerology was twisted in various forms to show the pope was in fact a 666, the antichrist from a different numerical interpretation as 666.

Well 1998 came and went and the next date was 2007. This was based on the same idea except the +40 was added to the 6 day war of 1967 where a passage in Luke suggested that when you see all of Jerusalem surrounded, know that the time is near.

They still have the 2017 revision available using the same "profound revelation". In the meantime they latched onto the Y2K and the 2012 Mayan calendar. We got a good movie from that but "that was all" she wrote.

There is a 2037 prediction but I have not looked into that. There is a very good chance I will be pushing daisies by then.

You have probably seen my threads on the mark of the beastie and how we already have biometrics being rolled out (since the late 90s here in SA) and the woos still hold onto the 80s RFID chip as some looming threat.

The UPC barcode we have on our products was seen as a mark b/c it has a set of three bars that look similar to the number 6 which trigger and switch the scanner, ergo, 666.

We actually now have RFID so small we have it in strips on food stuffs and my most recent exposure, the data dot for cars. So small you can spray it on like paint with an airbush.

We do not need RFID as fingerprints are the way forward. When I had to register my late wife's death, they scanned my thumb print (which I had only given with my driver's license) and wallah, in less than a second I was identified as her husband.

This in Africa so I assume it is similar in the US?

We already have security access systems that work solely on fingerprints. Not too successful as if you do work where your skin gets damaged, they battle in differentiating chapped skin on the fingerprint. For now, RFID cards seem to be the most popular.

The weird thing is that by now, most of the western world are aware of what this imaginary antichrist will do so we know what to look out for.

The bible says that even the very elect will be fooled. It seems they are the ONLY ones fooled.

The recent Todd Bentley from Canada that had revival/healing meetings in Florida, was hailed as the next move of gawd and TMK, no atheists attended his meetings at all. He was the real deal and a few folk from SA flew to the US to git some of his anointing to brung it back to SA. The xians here on C-D were making excuses for his tattoos (forbidden in the bible) and ignoring the "way the HS chose to work" by Todd drop kicking old ladies in the face. Pretty sad.

Then he bonked his secretary - whoops - error, error, error, error, error, error...

That was really funny to see how they reversed all their previous praises and laudings. Out came the "no man is perfect" cards, placed him under church discipline and so on.

The only reason these folk fall for this crap is because they never read their bible nor do they have the first inkling of the origins of their faith.

Surely a "perverse and wicked generation seeks after signs". Signs and wonders are supposed to follow the believer but that never happens either.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Why go there at all?

I find it odd atheists spend the bulk of their time focused on something they don't believe in.
So I can cash in on caring for peoples' pets after they're raptured.
Cash only and no post-rapture cheques. 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.

May 21, End of the World? Businesses Offer to Care For Pets After Judgment Day | TIME.com

Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Why go there at all?

I find it odd atheists spend the bulk of their time focused on something they don't believe in.
How exactly did you come to the conclusion that this represents "a bulk of their time"? Must be that new math.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
The rules in a sticky for the A&A area state that proselytizing is not allowed. But carefully word-crafted trolling seems to be permissible.

The same old lame questions, time after time after time, clearly not for the education or edification of the person asking, but to be purely antagonistic in nature. Go try it is the christian sub-forum and see how quickly it is closed/deleted.

I also find that any attempts to answer them are a total waste of time, they either are unable to comprehend reason without their gods oversight, or more likely, they don't want to even listen, but merely to antagonize and argue. It's really sad that they think this makes their god or religion attractive to anyone. If their tacticts and disdane for others reflect the beliefs of their religion, it even further turns people off.

I'm pretty neutral about religion, mostly harmless ancient superstition born in the ignorance of people that thought the earth to be flat and the center of the universe, but the believers, yea they can be a huge turn off.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Why go there at all?

Intelligent people never ignore a threat, and religion is probably the greatest threat to mankind's future and the future of what we call civilization.

Of the possibilities that could end civilization as we know it, probably religion is the only one in man's control. A super-bug/virus could suddenly kill 90% of the people in weeks, a large enough meteor could destroy it is seconds. The greatest threat is some loon with the power that believes that his invisible friend wants him to start a nuclear war.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
My husband has been playing a lot of Diablo 3 and hell doesn't look too bad if you have a strong enough sword.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
It's hard to believe that there are people that believe this stuff, but this girl certainly does....

Rapture Prank - YouTube

Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Why go there at all?

What, do you not have a sense of humor? Fundies are a wonderful source of much mirth and laughter, but really I spend the bulk of my time doing other things that atheists do, like raping and pillaging, swearing and raging, killing and eating babies, etc.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What, do you not have a sense of humor? Fundies are a wonderful source of much mirth and laughter, but really I spend the bulk of my time doing other things that atheists do, like raping and pillaging, swearing and raging, killing and eating babies, etc.
Come on now. I thought we all agreed to stop swearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism